Pedalboards Without Velcro

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stucker, Sep 1, 2005.

1. stucker

stucker Member

Does anyone make a pedalboard that secures effects without velcro? Thanks.

Scott

2. Guff

Guff Guest

Scott,

I haven't needed to use Velcro with my "TM Case" (http://www.tmcases.com) pedalboard because the foam in the lid keeps the pedals in place pretty well. I've been very happy with this pedal board.

3. dave-o

dave-o Member

I use a pedal train and secure the pedals to the board with zip ties. I have had no luck with velcro, tears the lables from the back of my boss pedals, and moving them around is a pain because the glue isnt the same after it comes off. I love zip ties!

4. onemind

onemind Member

I'm thinking of creating a pedal board that uses dense foam which has been die-cut for certain shapes and sizes of pedals, as well as channels for routing wires. Not sure where to get the source material though. I found some adhesive backed foam in an Arts and Crafts shop but it was too thin (about an eighth of an inch, I'd like to find foam at least a half an inch or more.

Steve

5. delk777

delk777 Guest

It might not be inexpensive but perhaps you could use soundproofing material such as Aurelex tiles that they sell at the online chain music superstores?

- Delk

6. onemind

onemind Member

Thanks Delk, But I'd really like to find closed cell, thick foam something more dense...The closest thing I've found is a Pilates Mat!

7. tubes4tone

tubes4tone Supporting Member

I have definitely experienced the same thing. I even have one of the gi-hugic Bad Cat 2-Tone pedals on there, unvelcroed, and it hasn't moved with just the foam to put pressure on it. It works for me!

8. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I went to a local bike shop and the owner gave me a scrap chain for nothing. It was about 18 inches long if I remember correctly. I bought a tool to disassemble the links and spent 30 minutes taking it apart.

I use the links - 2 per pedal seems to be plenty - to secure my pedals to the board. Here's a pic...

[​IMG]

I used to do the zip tie thing. It works great as well.

jeffhef

9. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

Definitely. I use mini bungee chords to strap my pedals on a rubber-coated wire shelf from the hardware store. While it does not look fancy, this is strong and sturdy, while being quite light in weight.

10. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

I'll second this, Works great and doesn't damage the pedal.

11. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Yep. Bike chains are cheap even if you have to buy one. The tool is less than $10. I've actually thought of selling the links on ebay. There are people selling them at ridiculous prices. Anyway...this is the tool...

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...5257&sku=13767&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Sometimes you have to be creative. Like with Fulltone pedals. I made a special 2 piece link to use on my OCD. Also, some pedals - like the Bad Monkey - have recessed screws on the bottom. I use a longer screw for these.

Wroks great for me.

jeffhef

12. stucker

stucker Member

jeffhaff,
    I really like your idea of using the bike chain links. Also, thanks for your board photo and the description of the chain tool. I guess most bike shops have these in stock. Can you tell me the brand of pedal board you use. I want to make sure I buy a model that has a good surface for accepting the screws. Thanks.

Scott

13. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

First...don't want to take credit as if this were my original idea. I actually got the idea from someone on this forum about a year ago.

Now...

My case is a cheap aluminum case I bought at Sam Ash about 2 years ago. I think you can get one about like it on Ebay now for about $40.

The board itself is homemade. I bought a piece of Oak or something...something inexpensive...from Lowes and trimmed it to size. The one I have in the picture is 1/2". But you can use 1/4" as well and it's a bit lighter.

I bought a piece of upholstery fabric from a local fabric store and turned it over for the black felt surface. It was cheap as well. I secured it to the board with spray glue - 3m. BTW...this is just for looks. the cover really serves no other purpose. I could just as easily secure them to a raw piece of wood.

I use small wood screws I bought at Lowes to secure the pedals to the board.

All in all...materials, tool & case I MAY have $75 invested.

Cool thing is that I've got enough of the links left to do another 4 or 5 boards. You get a BUNCH of links taking one of the chains apart.

There are actually people selling these things as kits on ebay and the net...

If I can find one of the ad's I'll post it.

jeffhef

14. shihku

shihku Member

not all pedals will allow this though, only if it has screws on the bottom of the pedal.:D

15. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Not exactly correct. You just have to be a little more creative. Take another look at the photo. I have an OCD mounted using these links and the screws for them are on the sides.

In the case of the OCD I left 2 links attached to either at one end. The one of the links I bent into a right angle. I attached one end to the side screws on the pedal and the bent link to the board.

That's why I think it's better to do it the way I did rather than buying the already disassembled links. If you run into something like this you can usually rig it to work.

I have yet to run across a pedal I couldn't connect using the links in some fashion. Even the Ernie Ball Volume pedal is attached using them.

jeffhef

16. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I AM about tired of dealing with the GeorgeL cables though. I've been using them for about 2 years. I use a meter to check continuity. I've gotten good at making the cables. But they seem to not hold up well. They'll just stop working. Also, when I move things around a cable that was working fine will stop working.

I'd like to try a good alternative to these things. Any suggestions? Don't mean to hijack the thread.

jeffhef

17. sssmile

sssmile Member

you always need velcro

18. Layne-o

Layne-o Silver Supporting Member

Jeff,

I understand your distaste with George L's. Personally, I've never liked them. I've had great luck soldering my own cables. Check out the following links for cable and 1/4" ends:

http://www.redco.com/
    http://www.altex.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_106_330_333&products_id=3996

I've placed orders with both and had great success in building cables to exact lengths needed.

Sincerely,

19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Member

I use something MUCH better than velcro:3M DUAL LOCK.
    This material is BULLETPROOF :cool:

20. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I may have missed this somewhere, but to secure the link to the pedal I'm assuming you just unscrew the existing pedal screws, set a link, then replace the screw?

You just might be onto something here...