PedalPower 2+ and Joe Walsh Wah noise

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DonRoeber, Feb 23, 2015.

1. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Member

I recently got a RMC Joe Walsh Wah, and am trying to mount it on my Pedaltrain Jr that has a PedalPower 2+ mounted underneath it, and no matter where I put the Wah, I get an excessive amount of buzzing whenever it is engaged. I've tried powering the wah with the PP2+ as well as on battery, and it makes no difference. The buzzing goes away the further the Wah is from the PP2+, and if the PP2+ is off there is no buzzing at all. I've even tried installing a Stompin' Grounds mounting plate/EMI shield on the Wah, and it hasn't made a significant difference. I don't think it makes a difference, but the PP2+ is installed so that the DIP switches are facing the floor.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I screwed and my wah is forever banished to the floor?

2. ChrisBuckGuitar

ChrisBuckGuitar Member

Same problem with my Vertex Axis (bought stupidly cheap on eBay post shitstorm, before anyone feels the desire to point and laugh...). Hums like a bitch if it's above the PP2. And since there's two of them mounted under my board...no chance. Banished to the floor.

The only fix I've come across is with something called Mu-Metal but it's a bit on the pricey side, to say the least. Don't understand the science of it but it seems to work by all accounts.

http://youtu.be/Tqqqe7xReII

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

What kind of metal is that mounting plate made out of? In another thread like this I recommended a sheet of Mu Metal since that is made to specifically block magnetic field radiation that is most likely the problem.

4. 8len8

8len8 Member

Mu Metal has a low resistance to magnetic waves, lower than air, so those waves want to travel along the Mu Metal instead of through it. It basically redirects the waves. And the good part is that you don't need to ground it like you do for electric shields.