Pedals all seem to degrade my tone. How do you guys use so many?

dnauhei

My main rig is an Egnator Tweaker and I run a HOF reverb in the effects loop. The HOF doesn't degrade my tone significantly (although most other reverb pedals do). I have played around with adding many pedals. Most recently I acquired a Dunlop TS1. Whatever pedal I add seems to degrade my tone and I wind up preferring my tone without the pedal. This goes for expensive boutique pedals too.

You guys with all those pedals, how do you do it and still get good tone?

:confused:

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
secret weapon - T1M minibuffer. cleans that signal right up.

coolhand78

You learn to live with it.. I've got pete Cornish pedals which have some of the best buffers out there but you still lose something...

Cables make a big difference too, but if you really don't wanna lose any tone from your guitar to amp you gonna have to go Derek trucks stylie... ;)

niclake13

I play on a consistent basis with a 15' Mogami from guitar to board, the patch cables, and then a 50' snake from my board to amp. Added a T1M mini buffer to the front of that change, and it took care of 95% of that signal loss.

I may buy a 2nd and stick it at the end, just to see what it'll do.

tonejunky

You learn to live with it.. I've got pete Cornish pedals which have some of the best buffers out there but you still lose something...

Cables make a big difference too, but if you really don't wanna lose any tone from your guitar to amp you gonna have to go Derek trucks stylie... ;)
does Derek Trucks always play plugged straight in? I'm feeling the same way as the OP btw... but I'm keeping my wah.

coolhand78

does Derek Trucks always play plugged straight in? I'm feeling the same way as the OP btw... but I'm keeping my wah.
as far as i'm aware... clapton is the same, he (clapton) occasionally has a wah and he has a switch for a leslie but that's it... he uses that mid boost circuitry on his strat for boosts but he's always been the same... Personally i'd love to be like that, I'd love to just not worry about pedals, but I do love the control that it gives you over tone etc... Personally i generally set up a tone for a song and stick with that most of the way thru, i may vary the amount of gain or whatever, either by going from my SS3 to G2 but thats about it...

even with my cornish heavy board you just cant get that same dynamic response as you do when you plug straight in... IMO the cornish stuff gets you as close as you can but you still lose some... i use evidence and pete cornish cables throughout my entire set up... every change i've made in getting to this point has helped and improved on what i had before but none the less... something gets lost down the line...

JonnyAlright

I almost always have a boost or overdrive pedal going and it pushes the signal through the chain very well. The thing is, if you add pedals to your signal chain, the overall sound will be different. With some pedals it may be minuscule, with others it may be significant. Find what sounds you like the best and your playing will adapt around it. If you are a good player, you'll have good tone. I think we, as guitar players, stress so much about tone, but what is more important than tone is vibe. That's what your audience will latch on to, even to the point where vibe can overshadow mistakes. Just my take...

DanHorse

I must be psychic, I had a strong feeling yesterday this exact question would be asked today and got me thinking on it! - weird!

It can be galling to lose those some of the subtle harmonics etc when plugged into a board of pedals. I often just plug my TS into my amp straight, puts a smile on your face! but as the others have said - a good buffer will get a lot back, then you just learn to get used to the small price for using a board of pedals.

Good luck!

Axe-Man

1) Quality cables - Mogami etc...these are not cheap when you finish wiring everything up!

2) A looper switcher - I use a Wobo relay TB switcher so I can basically go straight into the amp and with a click can active the stomps...plus I can hear any signal degredation instantly...and obsess further about it :)

3) Buffer...to hear what it does, throw it into the switchers first loop before any other pedals!

I found that I had tone suck with the HD500. Didn't really like this but after some settings updates I got it sounding pretty good. After throwing it into the looper I could get a clear idea of how much tone suck I was getting. I now isolate it when I'm playing direct or clean(ish).

I almost always have a boost or overdrive pedal going and it pushes the signal through the chain very well. The thing is, if you add pedals to your signal chain, the overall sound will be different. With some pedals it may be minuscule, with others it may be significant. Find what sounds you like the best and your playing will adapt around it. If you are a good player, you'll have good tone. I think we, as guitar players, stress so much about tone, but what is more important than tone is vibe. That's what your audience will latch on to, even to the point where vibe can overshadow mistakes. Just my take...
**** yeah. THIS.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I've never had an audience member come up and say, "You know, you'd sound a lot better without all of those pedals degrading your sound."

dnauhei

I am using a tele primarily. With regard to the suggestion to use a buffer, the effect loop in the Tweaker is buffered. Effects do sound better in the loop. Would it be redundant to add a buffer to a buffered loop?

JeffOlson

I never have more than three or four TGP-approved pedals between my guitar and amp. (I do not use a pedal board other than a PT Nano for travel, and I switch out pedals probably far too often.)

With fewer pedals sucking up tone, and shorter, good quality cables connecting everything, it is not too bad. Still, there is magic in just plugging straight in...

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I am addicted to the sound of guitar>amp. I have often asked myself the same question (how so many?) because every time I have tried to build a giant pedalboard my original sound disappears.
I like to hear my guitar and as a result play 80% of the time with a clean sound. I try to use TB pedals, non-digitizing pedals, or pedals with excellent buffers. When I want effects for live use, I generally use a midi-controlled looper, or simply use less pedals.
Keep in mind that everyone is giong for a different sound, so you should compare peoples' TGP rigs with that in mind.

dnauhei

So I am thinking now of buying a mini buffer from T1M. If I put it before the amp, will it also do its job with the effects that I run in my effects loop (which is buffered)?

The reason I am asking is that I think maybe I can kill two birds with one stone and buy T1M's Mini A/B with a buffer added to it. That will get be a buffer and allow me to switch between my two amps (or maybe use it for a tuner).

Thanks!
OP

niclake13

It might, it might not. It's more cable, but since you've buffered the signal heading into the amp, I'd expect you will still hear a difference.

And if not, get at me. I'll buy the buffer from ya. ;)

Trending Topics