Pedals all sound the same

joe*w

What’s your favorite pedal that does something new/different? (Doesn’t have to be chorus or tremolo)

I’ve been researching CHORUS and TREMOLO pedals. There are a few brands doing some crazy/cool stuff, but so many all do the same thing and sound the same to me. Might just be my untrained ears.

This video for example...great video, but they all sound the same to me. The Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water did have some cool glitchy thing going on.

What’s your favorite unique pedal? Doesn’t have to be chorus or tremolo.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
The basic Chorus effect (sans modulation and other artifacts) is fairly easy to create and (as you note) kinda mundane.
That video is just setting all the pedals to a fairly common initial setting (minimal optional/alternate effects except fot eh Warped Vinyl and the Hermida Rotary Reverb) . The 'fast' setting is about as equally boring.
This is the pedal equivalent of taking an LP, a Tele, a Strat, a PRX and a Steinberger and playing them all at low levels, fingerpicking, into a pristine/clean amp at bedroom levels... pretty dang boring.

All the fun stuff comes in the form of :
- LFO waveshape
- modulation of the LFO
- mixing in other effects (phase, some distortion)
- more voices

I like the Digitech Nautila, cuz it can get me many of those 'fun' things, for not so much.

3waytie4last

Mumbler
Platinum Supporting Member
LOL, to me, chorus and tremolo are about the least interesting effects that exist (though I still own several chorus pedals cuz I lived through the 80s and am therefore obligated to).

Since there is literally an infinite universe of pedals that make different sounds, here's the first one that springs to mind in the neighborhood of noises you are interested in...and it's got a million knobs and buttons to play with. :)

PS, everything Fairfield makes is awesome, so you can't go wrong with them. :aok

TP Parter

I love the Gig FX Chopper, stereo operation is essential to unlock its potential.

Also, the Pigtrinix Echolution 2D's Golden Ratio setting, and awesome sounding analog filter section set it apart for me.

Last edited:

TonePilot

What’s your favorite pedal that does something new/different? (Doesn’t have to be chorus or tremolo)

I’ve been researching CHORUS and TREMOLO pedals. There are a few brands doing some crazy/cool stuff, but so many all do the same thing and sound the same to me. Might just be my untrained ears.

This video for example...great video, but they all sound the same to me. The Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water did have some cool glitchy thing going on.

What’s your favorite unique pedal? Doesn’t have to be chorus or tremolo.

Mine is the Earthquaker Devices Black Ash Fuzz. Set low, it’s almost an always-on pedal. Provides a unique, warm tone that’s different from distortion and can get gnarly and entertaining when set high.

lhama

Unique pedal? Nothing sounds like a Dronerainger.

If you want advanced modulation, then nothing sounds like a Moog Clusterflux.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
Count to 5. I've been running a DL-8 delay>Ct5>Eventide Space in the effects loop of my amp. Hours of entertainment.

PhuzzphayzZ

Mine is the Earthquaker Devices Black Ash Fuzz. Set low, it’s almost an always-on pedal. Provides a unique, warm tone that’s different from distortion and can get gnarly and entertaining when set high.

Ah, you know how to get to me! $$$$$$$$$$

run23

Chase Bliss Mood. I absolutely love this pedal and it’s the only on (for now (-;) that I wouldn’t swap out for something different.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom