1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pedals and sweatshops?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mewithoutlouie, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mewithoutlouie

mewithoutlouie Member

Is there any evidence or proof of pedal compaines using sweatshops. If anyone can point me to some links or articles that'd be great.

2. HBob

HBob Member

I've been to several guitar shows where guitar shops had bowls of free candy and were also selling guitar pedals. I don't know if you'd call that a sweet shop but you might be onto something.

3. mewithoutlouie

mewithoutlouie Member

You got me all wrong, you might be onto something with that one. :jo

4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I've bought some pedals from some pretty sweaty sales people. There was also that shop in South Miami with no air conditioning.... THAT was a sweat shop.

5. mewithoutlouie

mewithoutlouie Member

Thanks for the help.

6. redpill

redpill Member

More seriously, it is hard to be sure about this, particularly since the term sweatshop has pretty variable meaning depending upon who you ask. Some people regard any factory in a developing nation that doesn't pay UAW-level wages as a sweatshop.

I am all but certain that nobody has a canonical list, so if you have concerns about a specific company, it's probably best to ask about it by name. People can answer privately if there is a desire to avoid any bashing controversy.

7. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

And it's no coincidence that the dude wearing the shirt is missing both his arms.

9. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I would assume that roland and other large companies using labor from the southeast and eastern regions of the world would have substandard labor conditions in their factories. I doubt that "sweatshop" is a term used exclusively for garments, it seems like it would apply in any manufacturing / tech industry.

I too wonder about this, and can't say that I'm guilty of owning boss pedals. What are we to do about all of the chips and boards that come from those regions? Is anyone in the U.S. making these things, are they willing to could, would it be too costly, etc.?

I also wonder about the guitars and the parts themselves. Where did your wood come from? Who assembled it? Important ethical questions for those who are concerned about conservation and other things.

10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Exactly. Anyplace that can sell tubes for what amounts to pennies is certainly not abiding by the same environmental, health and safety standards that would apply in the U.S.

11. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow. Are there people selling tubes for pennies?

edit: oh and by the way, Roland stuff is made in Taiwan if I'm not wrong. At least the Boss stuff is. I don't think Taiwan is really notorious for sweatshops, unless you believe any factory in Asia is a sweatshop.

12. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Fender, Peavey, Crate et al... pay pennies for tubes in their amps. Maybe 50 or 75 pennies but still pennies.

13. mewithoutlouie

mewithoutlouie Member

Yeah, that's how I think about the things I buy. I want to know where they came from. It's important to me to not be ignorant about the things I buy. I also don't want to pass quick judgement on any company mentioned, but I'd just like to know.

I haven't got many results from internet searching. I'm going to try contacting some of the bigger pedal manufacturers.

14. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Start buidling your own..

15. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

in a sauna

16. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

Check with www.notforsale.org. They have one of the largest databases regarding forced labor. And a number of musicians involved with their work.

It is good to be informed. "Low cost" often comes at a high price...for somebody.

17. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Some of the Chinese guitars showing up these days are really well made but I do wonder about the conditions under which they're manufactured.

18. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

That's why I like buying from smaller companies. Better product, better service, known conditions, etc.

19. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

That link doesn't go to what it should, I get lists of puppies for sell, houses for sell, etc.

The whole "I want the best for less" thing is a very real issue we as Americans need to look at. If I say any more it would get political so MMMMmmmmm, mmmm,,.........mmmm!!!

20. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Boss / Roland doesn't look like what I'd consider a "sweatshop". These pictures are from 2000, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]