Pedals are fun, no?

Jack DeVille

At this point, I have made an actual professional career out of designing and making guitar effects pedals. As it is work and the daily grind for me, sometimes I forget/lose sight of just how fun pedals are.

They really are fun and, a good one, can completely change the way you play and can even be in a instrument unto itself! (Side note: this is my personal metric/final evaluation on whether or not a design makes the transition from concept/idea/prototype to actual saleable good.)

In short: pedals are super fun!
Who else agrees? If you don't share the same opinion/stance, please let me know your thoughts; I always enjoy learning new perspectives and seeing what I didn't see.

/rant.

Pedals kick ass!!

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
I've played/made music as a job and as a hobby, in both instances pedals have been super fun, sometimes depending on the music, they can be to me more fun than a guitar.

I love pedals. I absolutely hate pedal boards.

The massive effort getting them on and off, dealing with looper switchers and finding what cable is the dead one, having wires everywhere, dealing with noise, it leaves me exhausted sometimes!

I’ve gone from a board with full Chase Bliss and Keeley to a HX Effects because I just find them quite unreliable and a headache.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Pedals have emerged as an alternative to puncturing our loudspeakers. Now, 50+ years later, still do the job quite well. Oh, and they are a big fun too!

PSQRCL

Pedals are tres fun ( :
Pedal's inspire me to write tunes through literally 'noodling' around with the settings. I've written stuff I would never imagine coming out of me based on the style of music I play live.

Please continue doing the great work that you do Jack! Huge fan.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
[Insert that Joe Bonamassa quote about pedals]
"I’ve really gotten over pedals. I can’t keep up with this craze of boutique pedals that make you sound like everything but your guitar. I can’t get my head around it. So you don’t want to play a guitar [properly] so you buy a box that makes it sound like an algorithm, like you just fired up your computer and you can spend the night staring at your f**** shoes? C’mon man…" - Joe Bonomassa Interview, November 2017
https://reverb.com/news/joe-bonamassa-calls-pedalheads-lazy-in-new-interview
Joe collects amps instead of pedals. :)

Last edited:

johngregson

A bit like how that guitar collection scene in Spinal Tap is the crossover point between Nigel Tufnell & Christopher Guest, my pedal collection is the meeting place between my professional career & personal hobby!
Quite restrained and conservative with how I use pedals when working (use the bare minimum as possible etc), but crikey I'm a man possessed researching, trying & collecting them.

MAD 69

I don't know how I made it through the 70's and 80's without using pedals, now I won't play a guitar without using one, couldn't imagine just plugging into an amp and playing, haven't found an amp yet that didn't need pedals to make it sound better.

Trending Topics