Pedals for the Baritone :)

Hey all :)

I recently picked up a baritone guitar (Fender blacktop tele bari-mexican). I like it alot but only the humbucker tho. The other 2 pickups are a bit 'plastic-mexican' sounding. But I damn love the feel of that guitar. And the creativity it brings! Intonated and adjusted it to carry d'addario 14-68 baritone strings, tuned B to B. Barely got the fat B through that hole haha! (you know what I mean :p )

I ran it through my pedalboard and amps I use with the regular guitar, but eh, hm. It needs something else :p Some questions and didn't know what subforum to post, so here we go:

What pedals are you guys using with a baritone? (mainly what kind of fuzz and dirt?)
What amps are you using with a baritone in full band context?
What pickups could you recommend for a baritone?

I said the word 'baritone' alot, didn't I? Well, havn't been playing anything else the last week. K***g love it.

To give some context gear info, my current amps are: a hiwatt custom 50, sovtek mig 50, ampeg reverberocket, marshall class 5, and 2 custom made 1x12 cabs/speakers (V30 style but higher power/headroom)
Pedals are: well... I have 40+... delays, reverb trem sounds great. But all my muff versions seem to lack something, and it's not the low end...

Any Baritone (said it again yeah!) users want to share their experiences? Or discuss?

Thanks!

Modulator

I don't know how much our baritone tastes (bari-tastes?) are similar but when I played bari regularly it was often for a clean, twangy, noir-ish sound. A clean amp with reverb and tremolo was the sound I relied on 90% of the time.
I got a Fender BassVI that I love running clean (with a little compression to even out the levels) through my Swart with reverb and tremolo for that "Twin Peaks" theme guitar sound (Flint works just as well with a nice clean amp).

desertRat

I play a fender baritone jag(mex) in drop A with an old jackson bucker in the bridge, not sure of the model but its a med-output pickup. i typically run a 65' bandmaster into a mesa simi-open 2x12 and it sounds HUGE! It seems to like Rat and Muff flavored pedals best for gain and really any modulation on your board should be fine. it really depends what your going for tone wise. best thing i did with my baritone setup was add a 10 band EQ, just a bit of tweeking on the eq and i can play the same rig with standard tune guitars ect or change the overall character of my dirt boxes.

onwingsoflead

I typically run drives with a more focused low end. Especially in a live situation, baritone presents unique problems to separate it from the bass. Rat is always delightful, as are Tubescreamer type drives. I also like Tone Bender fuzzes. I also find I vastly prefer single coils to humbucker as they help each note in a chord stand out more.

kcook301

As boring as it sounds, a compressor...
But add some verb, short delay, and tremolo for some quality spaghetti.
As for some distortion, some kinda Rat or heavy fuzz. I just tuned my baritone tele (warmoth conversion neck) for Bass VI tuning for MEGA DOOOOOM.

Thanks for the replies all :)

My 'genre' I use it with is more of the postrock, noise, sludge/doom side. Both very clean and very dirty ;) No metal tho, no no :nono

Tried some of your recommendations! The Flint and a trem (have the empress) sound very nice indeed! A tremolo on baritone is something sexy. On the cleans.
My Rat didn't do what I was looking for, but one of the Muff-alikes worked awesome after some experiments. (JAM pedals red muck). Also great was the Fulltone OCD, was surpirsed on that one!

As said above here, the baritone likes an amp with loads of headroom it seems (my hiwatt sounds the best of the ones I tried). Lower watt amps and smaller speakers seem to sound a bit 'fluffy' on the low end.
Tried it with a bass amp, but that was lacking some (alot) definition.
Have yet to try a compressor. Thanks for the tip!

Don't have the gear for it, but has someone tried it with a bass cabinet+guitar head?

Really digging this bari-stuff. Now I only need a spandex suit and I can become..... Baritoneman! :rockin

delay and trem but most important I believe is compressor... it should help with your other drive pedals too. I have the same baritone and prefer the middle pickup. I really would like to get a humbucker sized p90 for the bridge and think that would be great but never got around to fooling with it.

NorCal_Val

Not a baritone...but close enough.
I found that my "normal" fuzzes didn't like the low end on
the 8-string. So, I did a bunch of looking on YouTube and
found three fuzz pedals that work with those low strings;
The Wampler Leviathan
The Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom
The Black Arts Tonworks Pharaoh Fuzz
Got one of each!!!!

tobereleased

I'll echo the flint recommendation. My dano baritone loves my flint. Sounds good with my el cap too, but the flint really takes the cake.

Interesting that you like the humbucker more than the other two pickups. When I tried the blacktop, I found the humbucker to be by far the weakest pickup - it's a large part of what pushed me toward the dano instead.

That said, I like single coil sounds more than humbuckers in general.

As for gain, I've mostly kept to amp gain if I want anything more than edge of break up. I run a 50W mesa and a 5W tweed princeton clone in parallel. The Mesa certainly does more for the baritone, carrying that low end, but the tweed flavour on top is nice.

Actually, my baritone works well with my Boss SY300, but that's a whole different ball game. The SY300 is an instrument on its own that you happen to drive with a guitar.

Rhythm Rocker

Hey all :)

I recently picked up a baritone guitar (Fender blacktop tele bari-mexican). I like it alot but only the humbucker tho. Intonated and adjusted it to carry d'addario 14-68 baritone strings, tuned B to B. I ran it through my pedalboard and amps I use with the regular guitar, but eh, hm.
It needs something else.
Agreed on the Boneshaker. It's what you need...
http://tonereport.com/reviews/dod-boneshaker

Interesting that you like the humbucker more than the other two pickups. When I tried the blacktop, I found the humbucker to be by far the weakest pickup - it's a large part of what pushed me toward the dano instead.
That said, I like single coil sounds more than humbuckers in general.
Well, I'm a single coil man aswell. Don't own any guitar with a humbucker besides this Blacktop now. I find it strange that I prefer it over the singles....
It might sound weird, but the humbucker is 'cleaner' as in more bite and high overtones in contrast with the 2 'fluffy-dull' singles. :confused :nuts. And I'm a telecaster guy...

The boneshaker got me intrigued....
The Flint was on my 'maybe i'll buy it someday'-list. You guys gave me the excuse to buy it, so I did, today :p Will try tonight!

Thanks again! Long live the Baritone!

ummohyeah

Welcome to the baritone world.

Your first question was about pedals. Know that the baritone is a picky eater. It likes options and it likes things stacked for it. I think you will need a Muff. In fact, I think you will need two. An Electroharmonix Big Muff V4 (op-amp) and a Electroharmonix Big Muff V7 (Green Russian) might make your baritone feel more at home.

Your next step is to get an Orange, Hiwatt or Sunn full-stack. At least a 100w head. If you have something meager, like eight 12" Creamback speakers, the baritone will be on its way to happiness. I have found that the baritone feels most comfortable in a friendly environment. I'd say you should probably play it safe and get both an Orange 100w fullstack and a Hiwatt 100w fullstack.

Throw an active humbucker in the bridge position and keep a PAF style humbucker in the neck. You said you are a single coil guy but the baritone will be unhappy.

Do this and you will inherit the world.

Trending Topics