pedals for Vox that push the amp??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamiefbolton, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jamiefbolton

jamiefbolton Supporting Member

As many of you all have done and are still doing, I'm in the midst of trading out dirt boxes. Here is what I've had in the past and why I'm leaving them...

OCD- yes very amp-like, but I don't like that amp....i guess I just didn't like the pedal

Box of Rock- nice, but again, not my flavor...i LOVE marshalls, but MY tone is VOXish I think for the moment

So i've moved from trying to make my AC30 sound like something different to just pushing it and using its sound....

So here is what I have now and on the way...

Tube Screamer for that TS sound...
    Fatboost 2
    Xotic AC

Is the Xotic BB Preamp good? Does it sound like a pedal or amp? Is it transparent? Do I need something else, or just two levels of boost played through an almost dirty amp....whatever I get I want it to keep the characteristics of the AC30....and I've had the Klon too...so not worth $300 unless you have a lot of money....

2. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

The TS is just almost useless with an AC30. Way too many mids to be very useful. I've heard mixed reports on the fatboost 2. The FDII is pretty cool in the flat mids mode (forgot what it's called), but I wasn't all that thrilled with it honestly.

The best pedal I've found for pushing my AC30 is the Crowther Hotcake. It just works. It was designed to work with the AC30, and it does a beautiful job. It will do totally transparent with the presence and gain off, but I use it as a boost with a touch of presence and grit.

The other pedal that works well for me is the Barber Direct Drive. It is in the Marshall vein, but works well in front of the Vox for gain sounds.

I haven't tried the Xotic effects, but I've heard good things about the BB in front of Vox amps.

D

3. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Try some kind of clean boost...if you don't wanna spend the $400 on a Klon, then you probably won't be interested in the BJF Red Rooster or the Landy Boost, but those kinds of pedals do a great job of pushing the amp to get a very natural kind of breakup (semi-colored, but still fully retaining the charateristics of your Vox). I was always a fan of the Super Chile Picoso, although it doesn't have quite as much output as the 2 previously mentioned - for the money it definitely can't be beaten. So far, to be honest, the pedal that I've noticed colors my tone the least is my Menatone Kar Krash with the gradual setting and low gain (aside from the Tim, of course, which is incredibly transparent but IMO doesn't necessarily do a good job of pushing tubes).

4. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

FWIW, I really like the AC boost - a nice way to dirty up a tube amp without colouring it too much. But I don't have a vox, so YMMV.
    Have you tried a treble booster in there? I've got a DAM RedRooster on the way...some time when he finishes making them. A lot of people here say good things about the Throbak. Also thinking about a Beano to try...

5. hunter6726

hunter6726 Member

The Keeley Blues Driver, The SexDrive, the Chili Picaso, and the Direct Drive have all been great. I use a 1963 Ac-30.

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Overdrive Boost (Colorsound Overdriver Clone)

[​IMG]Fuzz Haze | Strange Master | Stone Bender | EQ Boost | Flash Drive | 18 Watt classic Combo | Vintage Authentic Pickups |
    Throbak Electronics offers the Overdrive Boost. Throbak has reproduced and improved the circuit of the original Colorsound Overdriver (also known by the name Power Boost). The original was used by Jeff Beck and was an integral part of his 70's signature tone. The Colorsound Overdriver was also a favorite of Marc Bolan and is considered by many to be the best overdrive/booster ever made.
    This vintage circuit was made popular for it's ability to bring body, dimension and tonal flexibility to a single channel tube amp. This Silicon transistor circuit can give everything from a substantial and extremely transparent clean boost to all out silicon fuzz and every tonal variation in between. The flexible and interactive bass and treble controls can add treble bite and chime to a overly bassy amp or add a meaty low end to an amp that sounds too thin. This pedal is almost like it's own little amp in a box that will bring amazing clean and distorted tones to any tube amplifier.
    In keeping with our Signature sound philosophy we have added several improvements and tweaks to the pedal that let you tailor your own signature sound with this tonal giant. First we have added a master volume. The original Colorsound Overdrivers usually lacked a master volume control so we added one to the Overdrive Boost. As with the Throbak Fuzz Haze and Stone Bender a Pre Gain switch has been added giving more control to low note definition of distorted tones. Thirdly a switchable Germanium transistor has been paired with a Germanium diode and added to the circuit. The original circuit remains in tact but when switched on, the Germanium pair adds flexibility way beyond that of the original Colorsound Overdriver, adding the edgy, compressed distortion tones you can only get from Germanium.
    In addition to these features each silicon transistor has it's own internal trim pot to ensure that each pedal is perfectly tuned.
    [​IMG]Give your non-master volume amp the control of a master volume amp.
    When paired with a great non-master volume amp like the Throbak 18 Watt Classic Combo, the Overdrive Boost lets you crank your amp to 10 and still play at bedroom levels, while keeping the great cranked tone. The Overdrive Boost gives the same rich, complex tones usually only associated with an attenuator, but cheaper more compact and more tonally flexible when compared to an attenuator. The combination of the master volume and the Germanium pair gives this attenuator like effect. This attenuator like effect is only made possible with the ThroBak Germanium pair modification. The original unmodified Colorsound Overdrive circuit cannot duplicate this attenuator like effect with a non-master volume amp.
    Rediscover what Jeff Beck and many others discovered with the original circuit by getting the Overdrive Boost between your guitar and amp.
    Sound Clips:

The Throbak 18 watt Classic is the amplifier featured in all sound clips.
    ODB/Les Paul Bedroom_Level_Germanium 18watt clone vol. 8.mp3
    ODB/Les Paul Clean then Silicon Overdrive on then Germanium on.mp3
    ODB/Les Paul Clean then Silicon Overdrive Pre Gain On then Pre Gain Off.mp3
    ODB/Les Paul Silicon Fuzz.mp3
    ODB/Les Paul Silicon Clean then Clean Boost.mp3
    Features:
    • Powder coated exterior.
    • Switchcraft Jacks.
    • Teflon wire.
    • Silver solder.
    • 3 Carefully selected TO-18 metal can Silicon transistors, as used in the original circuit.
    • Externally switchable pre gain control with internal pot allowing you to dial in best pre gain for your guitar.
    • Switchable Germanium transistor and Germanium diode pair.
    • Bias adjustment for all three silicon transistors ensuring a perfectly tuned pedal.
    • Master volume.
    • Gain, Bass and Treble adjustment.
    • Metal film resistors.
    • Mallory M-150 polyester Capacitors.
    • 9 volt power jack.
    • True bypass switch.
    • Power LED.
    • Compact pedal design.
    5 year limited warranty.
    $219.00 Overdrive Boost IN STOCK!
    $8.00 shipping within U.S.
    $10.00 flat rate shipping when you buy 2 or more pedals.
    [​IMG]

WE SHIP AROUND THE WORLD!
    For international orders email us for an online order form. jgundry@ameritech.net
    Or click here to order through our Throbak Electronics Ebay Store

This should work beautifully with your Vox. I have one and it is amazing. So glad I spent the money. It's like an overdrive/fuzz/clean boost/treble boost/germ + silicon hybrid fuzz pedal all in one box. Sounds awesome and has a great EQ. Very amplike and makes a great amp sound even greater and has a master volume control on the side that really helps for clean amps (plus the attenuator effect really works- no joke). And no wait as long as you get it directly from them.

7. AL30

AL30 Member

Not sure about the AC-30 but I've heard and played several AC15's with a variety of guitars (Strat, Teles, Les Paul, Jazzmaster) and the Tube Screamer sounded great with all of them.

AL

8. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

Voxes are definitely a little picky. Here are my experiences

Hotcake- probably one of the most popular with the vox (for good reason). retains the vox character and sounds great. A little strange at first due to some serious nonlinearities in the knobs, but not hard after you figure it out. Can go from a clean boost to a fuzzy o/d. Get it directly from Paul Crowther for $140.

range master clone- sounds cool through the normal channel. Gets that Brian May singing tone but has a huge volume boost that makes it kind of tricky to use unless you leave it on all the time.

OCD- marshally. I like what it does in LP mode; especially at the higher gain settings. A little heavy in the bottom end perhaps.

Klon- adds fatness to the tone. Sounds great but it may not be worth the $$$ to many.

Gaspedals Carb. I really like this one. Has some hair in the high end. Adds sparkle and a bit of grit. Firm bottom end.

AM King of tone v.4- argh, this does not work with my Vox for some reason. Sounds like it smooths the highs of the vox too much. makes it a little dull sounding. Sounds amazing with a fender though.

Good luck

9. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

You can get decent results with the normal channel, but their isn't any real use for it in front of the top boost channel which is what many people buy the AC for. If you were buying a pedal specifically for use with an AC30, there are much better options than a TS for the same money. I'm a loyal TS fan. I've had my Keeley for years now, but they just don't sound very good in front of a Vox. Useable maybe, but not a great choice by any stretch of the imagination unless you want that nothing but mids spike and hair sound as a special effect.

D

10. dave s

dave s Member

kiteflyer hit on a couple of good ones for sure: Gaspedal Carb; Hotcake.

Others that I've tried with my 15 and 30 are: MI Audio Crunch Box for a bit MORE gain; Xotic RC Boost is GREAT just for kicking the amp up a notch both in volume and gain; Best for me to-date has been the Lovepedal Eternity. Definite keeper with both the VOX 15 and 30.

I'll also agree with others that your standard TS style OD don't do a lot for a VOX other than kill the good things that VOX amps are noted for.

dave

11. jamiefbolton

where do i contact him for a hotcake....is there a website?

i googled crowther and got nothing useful

12. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

Yeah, I had the same problem. No website as far as I know of. You gotta email him to order one:

croth@clear.net.nz

13. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

MXR Micro Amp. its cheap, sounds like a billion bucks inline with an ac30

14. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

15. JEMT

JEMT Member

The BB didn't work with my AC15, but I do love my RC Booster with my 15.

My favorites thus far have been the Barber pedals: SLTD, Tone Pump and DD have all worked very well and have ended my hunt for dirt pedals for this amp.

16. Burgs

Burgs Member

Any of the BSM Trebleboosters or the 65 Amps Colour Boost (if you can find one). Don Butler built the Colour Boost as a joint venture with 65 Amps. Don also does a hand built Rangemaster.

Treble boosters might be just what you're looking for (there are other threads here that address their charms).

Go crazy!

17. stump

stump Member

Timed Machine Boost. Switchable Treble Booster on one side and real nice clean boost on the other. Works nicely with my Genz Benz Black Pearl which is AC 30 ish.

18. jamiefbolton

First of all, thanks for all of the input....the Hotcake has interested me but I'm still not sold on it...has anybody had experience with the Durham Electronics Zia Drive? although it's supposed to be glassy which is NOT what I want at all....

19. Teahead

Teahead Member

What exactly do you want the pedal to do? Add volume, sustain, grit, eq options, all of these? To push either channel of the AC30, the Keeley Katana is a great option and very reasonable. It will add volume and increase sustain and can also add some grit with the push/pull pot. It has a flat eq, which is well suited to keeping the Vox tone, no good for subtle eq control though.

For subtle eq controls and some nice boosting capablities, the BJF Sea Blue EQ is a great option that really works wonders with either channel of the amp.

20. Brownface

Brownface Member

I used to have an AC30, and at the time I used a Duncan Pickup Booster. It worked really well. It was a Vox on steroids with that pedal. I think I used a Sparkle Drive with it too. I wish I had the AC back now that I've been through a few more pedals. I harp about the Launch Pad all the time, but I really believe in that box. It's very transparent to my ears, and as mentioned above, the Direct Drive is great, or any of Barber's stuff for that matter. A clean boost did wonders for the AC IMO. The only reason I got rid of it was that it was a little too much juice for me. I even had a power cut switch installed, and it was still too much, but it sounded great. Do you jump the two channels together?