Pedals from BYOC

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sputnik33, Dec 8, 2017.

1. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

They sure do. My ESV 2-knob keeps up with my very best fancy boutique fuzzes, I love it. Just wish the bias pot was on the outside ... might try modifying that. Gotta try the Ge boost.

Their Scrambler clone is sometimes my favourite pedal.

And all the kits are SO fun to build.

Scott941 and HeavyCream like this.
  2. DonP

DonP Member

Did any of you who liked this picture actually take a look at how this person is holding the soldering iron?

I'm smelling burnt flesh!

And that's one intricate pedal LOL!

Scott941 and tomasz_el like this.
  3. D. Redington

D. Redington Member

Frankfort, Indiana (The Crossbones ov America)
    An old friend of mine who thinks he's a genius tried to build the BYOC DOD Overdrive / Preamp 250 & messed it up so it's now in my possession.

4. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

I sometimes prefer the BYOC clones because if I make the identical clone, and feel I need to make a mod, I don't feel like I am modding a pedal "designers" work.
    I'm very happy with OD-2, ESV fuzz, Silver Pony, (and Madbeans Wolfshirt), all standout pedals.

5. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

I ordered my first four back in 2007 during one of their sales. Got four relatively easy ones (250+, Large Beaver, Two Knob Bender, Shredder) in that first order. I loved the idea of being able to build clones of the old analog pedals from way back when. And with the old pricing on top of the sales, it was actually a great way to get nice analog stuff.

For me it was especially nice because I was just coming off my amp alone or amp plus multi-FX phase, so I hardly had any pedals anyway.

From that time, and pretty much always following the sales, I was up to 14 by 2010. Another dozen or so since then.

In all of those builds, I've had shockingly few issues. I think twice in a decade I got a kit with a missing part. Both times it was a resistor that was missing. One bad chip in a chorus pedal. That's it! Due to impatience, and butter fingers, I made a few mistakes. Fried a part or two. Worst was the fried charge pump in the parametric EQ pedal (to date, that was my hardest build).

Best tips have already been mentioned in this thread:
    - check all the parts before soldering
    - always, always have a clean soldering tip
    - patience

Biggest hassle for me over the years was always my anal desire to make the cases look cool. Primer, paint plus lame graphics on decal sheets from the printer were more of a PITA than the actual circuits inside.

eclecticsynergy, urQuill and Scott941 like this.
  6. RMosack

Oh yes, my favorites:
    - Large Beaver - my introduction to understanding that fuzz was cool after ignoring it for 25 years
    - The Mouse - my first and only Ratt; six cool modes
    - Triboost - Rangemaster, LPB and MOSFET boost all in one
    - Phase Royale - cool take on the Phase 90 with more controls plus a 6 stage option

urQuill and Scott941 like this.
  7. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Did a tremolo many years ago. Lots of fun, sounds good.
    I may try something else again here at some point.

8. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

The new Silver Pony with switches is really, really good.

The Shredder is also a favorite of mine

urQuill likes this.
  9. twilt

twilt Member

I just built a BYOC Silver Pony II last week.
    I'm no noob to soldering but this was my first pcb/pedal build.
    It was a very easy (to me) build.

It turned out great and is a FANTASTIC pedal. It ousted my new Barber Gain Changer! And that is saying something!

One tip I have when going through your parts checklist...
    Tape the resistors/transistors/diodes to index cards and label them as you check them off. This makes it sooo much easier to find what you need once you begin building.

10. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I built their Script Phaser a few years ago (Two knob version) and it holds up against my Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser. I'm planning on ordering a couple more of their kits in the near future as they are great pedals and the sense of pride in building it myself along with saving a few dollars is a nice feeling.

11. big mike

Careful
    It was a gateway to amp building for me lol

urQuill and CJReaper like this.
  12. Chad11491

Chad11491 Supporting Member

how big of a leap is it? I've just recently put together about 8 pedal PCB's (i was like a kid in a candy store haha), and have thought about putting together a 2204 or Chupacabra kit from Ceriatone. A ton more complex? it doesn't honestly look that much more involved, but I say that and might be getting in way over my head lol.

urQuill likes this.
  13. big mike

I did the metroamp kits to start. Time consuming but I now have 3 self built marshalls that are awesome.

Dunno enough about ceriatone but the metro stuff is still available from valvestorm

Might start a bit smaller like a 5e3 kit.. learn more and makes be bigger more involved kits easier later.

Byoc has a few I see

urQuill and Chad11491 like this.
  14. RMosack

@big mike I looked at the Ceriatone site a hundred times in the past decade or so. I could never quite figure out what sort of “kits” they actually sold. Do they sell complete kits ala Allen or Trinity? Or is it something like prebuilt chassis?

15. urQuill

Amps are the same thing really but just bigger and vastly more dangerous.

BYOC’s 5E3-based kit is especially interesting - it’s set up to switch between different circuits, and I think it might have a switchable negative feedback circuit as well, which is the coolest 5E3 mod ever - and it needs to be switchable and not a hardwired mod because it’s not really an improvement, more a big change in character that is also good, so it’s nice to have both possibilities. It always sells out right away, I‘ve noticed.

big mike likes this.
  16. big mike

Just layouts and various state of set up. It’s not like a kit with instructions

RMosack likes this.
  17. urQuill

I know I'm not big mike but t looks a lot like they sell "kits" where the circuit boards are already populated and wired. Which is the fun part. Why do they do that? I'm sure they do it beautifully, but ... that's the fun part. Really? I have to mount the tube sockets and do the heater wiring but the board is all done? What the heck ...

I built a Trinity 5E3 and the instructions alone were worth the price. I changed a bunch of the caps eventually but their transformers seem really good to me. The steel chassis looks good, all chromed up and shiny and everything but ... I would have preferred an aluminium chassis. I don't know but I just have a hunch that the exact same parts and wiring in an aluminium chassis might sound or play better. Just a hunch. I'll bet if there is a difference, it isn't much. But maybe it's there. I'd love to find out, one day.

RMosack likes this.