Pedals in room with smoke and soot from electrical fire

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soundhound, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

This is a continuation/addendum to a thread I started in the amps tech section.

We had an electrical fire in our converted garage, which is my office/studio. Some of my pedals were near the fire and have soot on them, most of them are in cabinets which aren't air tight and probably had plenty of smoke in there during the fire. the room still smells of smoke a week later.

Are pedals suseptible to damage in a situation like this? I haven't had a chance to test anything out yet. I have provably a hundred or so pedals. Anything I should be on the lookout for? Or does smoke/soot not pose much of a threat to pedals?

2. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I doubt it. I would just buy a canister of compressed air and open them up and blow away. You can probably just wipe off the soot on the outsides.

3. Faldoe

Faldoe Senior Member

I think the worst that would have happened, granted they weren't exposed to high temperatures that could have overheated components, is that you have some permanent damage to the enclosures/paint/graphics. May decrease their resale value but they should still work.

Blue-moons suggestion is also good

4. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

That smell will linger for a while. Even on the pedal's insides could stink, and will take even longer to air out. Im not sure if sealing them in a box with an open container of baking soda would absorb some of the smoke smell. Otherwise, setting them outside would help, even better if you have decent weather and can remove the backs of the enclosures. Depending on how close the fire was, I may open every single pedal and check. Might need lots of compressed air and paper towels.

What did the insurance say regarding your pedals?

5. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Thanks guys. We have a wall of books in the room and The insurance company is going to have a company take all the books and put them in an ozone chamber to get rid of the smell. Maybe I'll send the pedals along with...and maybe my amps and and... What a pita! We lucked out big time actually, could have been WAY worse, knock on wood.