• Please use the follwoing thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

pedals in the chain: WHO GOES FIRST?

I recently updated my pedalboard, tryin' to select only the effects that I really need to enhance my tone...

I have chosen a Fulltone OCD as overdrive and a PROCO RAT as distortion.
I'd like to merge the two pedals together when I need a fatter and more
sustained sound for my solos...

The question is WHICH ONE GOES FIRST IN THE CHAIN?
OVERDRIVE then DISTORTION or DISTORTION then OVERDRIVE?

thanx :)

Leonardo

There's no rule. It depends on how you're using them (settings and tone you're looking for). You will have to try both ways and see what sounds best.

takakat

Rat before OCD. If you want to make it sound thicker I suggest to add a compressor in front of RAT. And if you want to make it sound beautiful I suggest to add a delay after OCD.

ford

Modz
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
i order mine from most to least gain.. and I do stack...

rock

bford

For me, I sometimes like to goose high gain pedals with a warm boost, so I use the same approach and run from least to most gain.

doralin

Well,

The way I do it would be to put the one with lower gain in front.

This in my opinion lessens the mushiness (provides a less compressed result)

I like low-gain od-high gain od-low gain distortion-high gain distortion
for example my dirt goes like this: barber trifecta (fuzz) barber ltd, barber direct drive, barber small fry...these pedals stack well...i have a ton of other dirt pedals but these are all I really need!

I consistently order my pedals from high gain to low gain. I do, however, stack. My two most-used combinations are a modded DS-1 into a stock BD-2 and a Big Muff into a Distortion+ (I don't have both pair on the board at the same time). You will ultimately have to experiment.

chuckmoose

In general I tend to start with low gain going into high gain, but different pedals work together differently. I have found no set formula you just have to try the various combinations and see how your specific pedals react to each other.

Trending Topics