Pedals into a pod

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by polifemo, Jun 8, 2006.

1. polifemo

polifemo Member

I have a distinct feeling that I - due to a time limit - will have to record a few songs replacing my amp with a pod...

I´ve tried a pod a few times (pod 2.0 that is, not XT. Is there a big difference?) but can´t say that I´m familiar with the sounds it can produce.

From what I hear, most people think that it sucks...

Would it be possible to get better tones out of it if using it "as a clean amp" putting my pedals in front of it?
    I´ve got really good pedals, but their sound might be severly ruined when entering into the pod´s digital tone processing... :(

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I have used a Pod XT many times w/ pedals on a few tv sitcoms. Now I have a Loooper (see Picture) after distortions and compressor but before vol pedal, modulation and delay. the XT is inserted there when I need it. My Soundclick page has several examples of the XT tis way.

Buddy

[​IMG]

3. polifemo

polifemo Member

How does the pod 2.0 compare to the XT?

4. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I basically only use my POD set up with different clean amps and just run my pedalboard into it.

Brett

5. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

I have the PODxt and used it by itself for quite a while (used the onboard effects with the Shortboard controller). To me, the biggest downside of the POD series is that it seems to really lack dynamic range. The xt version, to me, sits pretty well in a song's mix (one of its upsides). It takes some tweaking to make it sound like a natural amp; I realize this more and more now that I have an actual amp to compare it to. The best sounds, to me, are the Vox AC-30 sounds; with some tweaking, most of the models are good enough to sit well in a mix on a record. It just feels a little funny to play through at first, especially if you get used to playing through a live amp.

6. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

I forgot to mention that I have also done the 'pedals into the POD' thing with fair success. The only not-so-good sounds were heavy delays going into the POD, which is not so different from a real amp's behavior. If it's a studio situation, though, you'd have plenty of flexibility as far as where to place what effects in the chain.

7. polifemo

polifemo Member

What I was thinking was to use mainly various OD´s/distortion-pedals into the pod to (maybe) create better overdriven/distorted tones. Apart from the OD´s/dist boxes I might use a vibe or a chorus as well.

8. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

Shouldn't be much of a problem at all. I didn't have any problems running overdrive boxes into the PODxt, and I wouldn't imagine the POD 2.0 to be much different in response. Sounds like Buddy's had plenty of experience as well. Chime in anytime here, friend!

9. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I've never used that set up in the studio but I have used it in front of 10,000 people. It worked fine for me. Maybe not the ultimate tone but it was ok. I used the clean Bassman setting with my pedal board in front of it and listened to it all through the stage monitors.

Bob

10. raz

raz Member

I don't agree that it sucks for recording. Significantly greater expertise and effort is required to get good mic'd amp sounds and get them to stick to tape (or disk) than is required with any POD, 2.0 or later. Getting good recordings of real amps is trickier than people seem to think. It may sound and feel better in the room, but getting that sound on tape isn't easy. Much easier with the POD, which is why the things are so popular. Even among hardcore tone mavens like Bill Frisell and Ty Tabor and a heck of a lot of others.

Where the POD's fall down is in the tactile experience of playing them. The input architecture isn't that great, and you don't get the sag and punch from them that you get from real iron, wire, tubes, speakers, and voltage. As a professional, you have to just deal with that.

The pedals will work fine, and will actually improve the feel because they present the proper impedence to the guitar. I throw a Valvulator in front of my Pod XT Live and monitor on decent IEM's (Shure E5's with triple flange sleeves) and it works very, very well. Any buffer will help the feel, but I think the tube in the Valvulator really throws some magic dust around.

No, it isn't the same as cranking up my amps, but it's very close. And when I'm laying down tracks it's a heck of a lot easier and faster to get a good sound.

Have you actually used a POD? If not, don't just assume it sucks because some people have said it sucks, and don't assume that just because the presets blow that's the end of it. Spend some time with it, dial in sounds of your own, and don't let the names of the models lock you into inside-the-box thinking. Don't assume that a Blackface Deluxe amp model is going to sound best or most accurate through a model of a Fender blackface cab model. Mix things up. Don't assume that because you, say, hate Rat pedals in real life that the Classic Distortion pedal model isn't going to work for you. The secret to getting good stuff out of the Pod is to tweak it with your ears and not your eyes.

My two cents.

Good luck with the project!

(And no, I DON'T work for Line 6...)

11. jman

jman Supporting Member

I've used a 2.0,AmpFarm or PodPro for a bunch of recordings with or w/o pedals in front- still like amps just fine but the POD has been good to have around.

12. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

The POD 2.0 will work fine. The XT will allow way more tweakability (mic placement simulator, cab choice simulator, stompboxes...etc) True, it will not sound or 'feel' exactly like a tube amp. But it is possible to get good usable tones.

I have had good success with running a Maxon OD-808 and Barber Direct Drive in front of a POD 2.0, plugged straight into ProTools. I also own an XT Live, and have used that too.

As mentioned above, let your ear be the guide.

13. polifemo

polifemo Member

Thanks guys!

Maybe it won´t be that bad after all :roll

14. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I think Scott Lerner recorded Bluetude using a Keeley TS-9 into a POD.

15. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I know this kind of defeats the purpose, but the absolute best sound I got with the POD was running it through my friend's bass rig (in fact most bass rigs I've tried it through). He had the Ampeg SVT cabinet and the POD had that punch that seems to be missing. The Fender sounds were huge, and the Recto through a Vox cabinet was magic.

Brett

16. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

anybody who says the POD sucks doesn't know how to use one. it doesn't claim to be an amp... all it does is sound like an amp when you put it to tape. throw one in a full mix and see how many people can tell the difference. i would be interested to see how many nay sayers could pick one out on a real CD track sent to master.

17. polifemo

polifemo Member

So one needs a buffered pedal then?
    All my pedals exept one are true bypass, but I´ve got Bartolini preamps in most of my guitars.
    Will the Bartolinis work "as buffers"?

I´ve got almost no experience of the Pod but I´ll be able to borrow one during the summer.
    I might also be able to borrow a Vox Tonelab from a friend, and maybe they are a bit better then the Line6 stuff?

I´ll use my ears ;)

18. Teahead

Teahead Member

19. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I agree with this statement and that's why I got a Boss GS-10 instead. In my hands it feels a lot better to play than any of the other digital modellers. Mind you this is the first Boss modeller that I feel this way about. Boss GT-Pro and GT-8 share this "feel quotient". While still not quite there there are ways to improve this. There are many options but my present set up takes the guitar into a Radial Dragster that deals with the brittle and sometimes clanky sounding treble (depending on guitar/pickup) and then into a T-Rex Møller Boost. I used to use a Zoom PD-01 but I feel the Møller imparts better dynamics.

As always this is my personal view and YMMV.

Cheers,

Mats N

20. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I love that muzak stuff you did! Nice board too! :dude