• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

pedals it took you the longest to come around to

feet

Gold Supporting Member
after much shuffling of pedals between boards and amps, i've come to realize that there are very few bad pedals, just pedals in front of the wrong amp. or, given enough time, i can justify almost any pedal. since i've recently started using some old peavey stuff, a lot of my non-vox compatible pedals sound amazing, especially through the fx loop. so here were some pleasant surprises:

morning glory- the morning glory side was just alright through the vox but it works really through a clean channel to give you that warm, tubey "gain at 10, vol at 1" kind of sound. that's how i had my crunch channel set before (and it was so, so loud) but i can do other things with it. i suppose that's what they were intended to do, but it wasn't working with the vox anywhere near as well as it does now.

tube screamers (a jhs bad monkey and double barrel in my case)- these were just ass in front of the vox, but in front of a slightly broken amp, i can get medium to almost high gain tones, and smooth to quotidian lead sounds. volume helped a lot. ironically, i don't really care for it stacked with the mg, as the double barrel intends. its mg>clean and 808>crunch, always.

rc booster- kind of disappointing as a light overdrive, dirty boost and pedal pusher, its found new life as an ad hoc eq, for a darker, instant jazz type sound. it did all that other stuff in a sort of, ok-ish way but the eq sounds good when paired with certain guitars, without having to fiddle with the amp.

echo park- this thing had been left for dead so many times and its mostly been collecting dust for years, but as a last ditch in front of the vox and it sounds pretty great again. that bright, digital cleanliness is really helping it cut through without mushing out, and it stacks really well with other delays.

alter ego ii- same as above, basically. once too effected and fake, its making its way through my signal chain better than my belle epoch, memory boy, dark echo or dispatch master. very surprised. might stay parked in front of the vox, paired with the echo park. o_O

so what have you learned and how did you learn it?

Bopcat

Platinum Supporting Member
Tube screamer - Maxon OD-9 - by itself too compressed, too much bass cut, too much mid hump. But...pushing an ARC Effects Soothsayer (RAT clone)...magically magnificent.

RC Booster - couldn't find where this went as felt stiff and not enough gain...until put it last in chain after OD & distortion pushing amp. Can tweak EQ just that little bit and add just a bit of gain.

Mr. Limbic

Compressor for me...Demeter Compulator. Made its way on the board and hasn't come of since I got a tele. I guess I can also add tele to that list too...

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Finally got a Memory Lane Jr.
I have had 2 Quantum Leap units, but this MLjr is so much right!

Pablomago

It took me a while to dial in my ZenDrive. Sometimes the knobs get turned and I forget the settings I liked. It's not as straight forward as most pedals. I love it when I get it right.

feet

Gold Supporting Member
None. If I don't gel with it, it goes off my board
how i envy you. if something just isn't for me, it probably doesn't get on the board, so i have a pretty solid track record as far as only trying out things that are probably keepers. but unless it goes really wrong, or doesn't work with how i operate, i'll try and give it a shot. the slow pedal economy helps, too. some of these pedals that i ended up giving yet another shot are ones i wasn't able to sell.

and now that i have a much better understanding of what i need and how i use things, i feel bad for some of those pedals i gave up on too early, or just didn't work the way i used them.

thecornman

If it doesn't well when I give it a try with the band where it matters then I give up on it! Not much out there that can't be dialed in though.

WillLane

When I first bought the EHX Analogizer, I didn't really know what it did but I knew my tone was gross and digital (no amp at the time, just a RP-155 and a few dirt boxes) so I want to make it less digital, as EHX advertised this pedal could do. I didn't use it right so it just kinda sat on my board as an always on pedal that didn't really do anything.

It's actually a really unique preamp boost with a echoplex-like delay sweetener and tone cut. It still does relatively nothing in terms of major difference but it's a subtle, nuanced something. I'm about to take it off my board and tape it on my AC30 soon. I use it for a slight bit of delay and a bit of preamp push. Does some neat stuff for metal too.

feet

Gold Supporting Member
If it doesn't well when I give it a try with the band where it matters then I give up on it!
i could see that. luckily i'm not playing live at the moment. most of the ods i've sold was because they were "stage pedals" that sounded like ass at home volumes.

It's actually a really unique preamp boost with a echoplex-like delay sweetener and tone cut. It still does relatively nothing in terms of major difference but it's a subtle, nuanced something. I'm about to take it off my board and tape it on my AC30 soon. I use it for a slight bit of delay and a bit of preamp push. Does some neat stuff for metal too.
so its kind of like an ep booster set low, or some kind of all around sound toaster? how does it work into the vox? i'm checking out some demos because i admit that i have no idea what it does. interesting. not sure if its useful to me yet, but certainly interesting.

WillLane

so its kind of like an ep booster set low, or some kind of all around sound toaster? how does it work into the vox? i'm checking out some demos because i admit that i have no idea what it does. interesting. not sure if its useful to me yet, but certainly interesting.
It's an EP booster with variable delay time, mix, and separate volume/gain parameters. EHX doesn't advertise the pedal like they should. I use it to hit the front end of the AC30 a bit harder, and with the ep-like delay, it gives me a little umph.

fuzz, in general, was a revelation after like 15 years of assuming they sounded like AM radios.

compression was a gradual learning experience. Took me like 20 years to truly appreciate them. The orange squeezer was the one.

Fulltone OCD. played one at guitar center in 2005. hated it. Got one in 2015, LOVE it.

When I was a hair metal guy, I thought pedals were crap. Watched Pink FLoyd's Pulse, and decided to give them another try. Now I have shelves and shelves of pedals (and rack stuff. lol )

Memphistokid

It took me a while to dial in my ZenDrive. Sometimes the knobs get turned and I forget the settings I liked. It's not as straight forward as most pedals. I love it when I get it right.
Yeah, I almost flipped my Zendrive a couple of times because I didn't know how to Eq it...After switching from strats to a Les Paul its easier to find my sweet spot. Still tweaking, but it was a love hate relationship. Playing at stage volume also makes a heck of a difference too....

feet

Gold Supporting Member
Fuzz and compressors, both eluded me for the longest time.
fuzz, in general, was a revelation after like 15 years of assuming they sounded like AM radios.

compression was a gradual learning experience. Took me like 20 years to truly appreciate them. The orange squeezer was the one.
both still elude me, though i either don't care or am not chasing them. i came up metal so never tried to understand fuzz and i don't think they work for my playing style.

compression i actually tried a couple times and... :/ i add it during recording and that's plenty. now that i understand my amps more and have more appropriate overdrives, i'm ok without it. i even roll off all the compression on my liquid blues. maybe if i played live...

KnowTalent

Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion
ProCo Rat...
Never heard a demo that really grabbed me but still curious as many rave about this being their desert island pedal.
Finally demoed one this past weekend and now I get it! One of the most open & dynamic pedals I've played and stacks well with my existing pedals.
Will be adding one soon!

Igotsoul4u

I think tastes change with age and obviously the music you are playing. As I have added new genre's into the repertoire, the kinds of pedals I never thought I wanted became what I needed (need is always subjective:)

Volume pedal. I use my Hilton constantly every time I play.

tube screamer flavor: I was forced into using a tube screamer clone when trading a guitar. Its a jacques tube blower. Didn't really "love" it until I stopped playing strats. I know that sounds dumb, but I felt like I sounded like every other guy with a strat and a tubescreamer. The hotcake won out. For whatever reason i really like it with my current humbucker equiped guitars as part of my clean sound. I would replace it quickly if it died. still love the hotcake.

Boost Pedals: It's hard to buy something that seemingly does so little. I use my RC booster every time I play!

Flanger: I don't like the effect and it sounds dated. Still wound't mind owning one but I don't know what I would ever use it for.

Fuzz: Still don't want one. One day I will and will use it everyday ;)

Specific pedals : Stereo Memory Man Hazari, Keeley Fuzzhead, keeley 2&4 knob comps, regular dyna comp, RMC wizard wah, Rockette Archer, EP booster. I was surprised I didn't warm up to these pedals.

wah, delay, verb, distortion, phaser, chorus....no problems.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member

Funny, that's me too. Tried a bunch of fuzzes and wondered where the good tones were supposed to be hiding Finally tried a good fuzz and found em :D Ran my strat into a Vintage "Hendrix" Ge Hartman fuzz into a jtm50, cranked the Vol on the Fuzz and left the Fuzz around noon, Vol on the strat for shades and found everything I loved in the old Hendrix albums.

Compressors always sounded too affected to me and I didn't like what they did to the attack, finally tried and Orange Squeezer and fell in love.

+1 on the Rat. Owned 2 and just used them like and off/on dirt box with the gain up a bit too high. One day I rolled off the tone knob on my LP (bridge pup) cranked into the Rat and a Marshall, it was the Voice Of God! Since then I've found the sweetness in the edge of breakup tones in the Rat but still never played anything like the LP w/ the tone rolled off into the Rat and Marshall. Just unreal.

Squatch57

Same for me with fuzz..I had a 42 year break from it heh
I bought a Big Muff new in '72, but they didn't even call them fuzzes back then
Since then I've used amp distortion & overdrive pedals etc.
Until I bought an HBE UFO last Xmas
Now I'm back into it with a Klinger TB, Tight Fuzz, Fuzz Face and Heliotrope! (which is a sorta fuzz I suppose)

I'm also blown away with the Agent 00Funk envelope filter I just bought, but I didn't like 'em 15 years ago

Last edited: