Pedals N a Box!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluesHarp, Jun 8, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I have given some thought here lately about an idea if I ever get to the point of complete satisfaction with my pedals. If I put all the guts from my pedals into one big box and hard wired the circuits together with super high quality wire, and bought a real good looper, I could get 15-20 pedals on a smaller board and could possibly improve the sound quality due to everything being hardwired and using a more central powering system. I would keep the boxs/screws and any one pedal could be re-wired/re-boxed and then sold. The idea also includes using super high quality pots set up in a mixer type fashion and a plexi glass cover to keep M from being tampered or bumped. You would do away with the long cables or cheaper wire used in some pedals, and you would have many more sounds available without using a sheet of plywood with 20 pedals on it and needing balerena skills to punch some pedals in and out or needing a seperate rack type setup.

I know, I know... this will never work out... why? ( jus havN fun here )

2. meterman

meterman Member

add a tube buffer stage for each pedal and you'd have a Pete Cornish board:

[​IMG]

I actually recall seing a series of construction pics for one of his or a similar project and if you've got the skills I think it would be cool as hell. Of course the problem is it becomes much harder to change anything or experiment with different pedals...but if you had that many more you wouldn't be as tempted :)

3. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Ah yes... I think Ive seen pics of those pro boards that he's made. Didnt realize that my idea wasnt off the wall.... and those buffers... o yea.

I would MUCH rather have him do a project like this for me, instead of me doing it. Im no slouch with soldering or manipulating electrical components, but he has years of experience and most def a lot more wisdom in pedal... "stuff".

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

btw, sell me your drd :D

Im now officially accepting donations for my project. lol

Its the "Give Pete a Pedal" foundation. wwjd?

5. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Yep, those Pete Cornish boards are pure sex. If I had the money for one, I'd definitely get it (especially with his power supply and tube buffer circuitry).

6. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I wonder what the above project costs? It would have to around 2-3 g's, eh?

7. meterman

meterman Member

Well it looks like the construction pics have been taken down from the Cornish site. I think that is a recent Gilmour board though and that the price is more like $10-15k!

Here's a link to some cool info on Gilmour's Animals board circa 1976:

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=18

BTW no way man my Dyna isn't going anywhere! :) It's an early one actually, had it for years. I'd get another if I could afford it, I got mine at less than half of current prices....great great pedal though, use it all the time

8. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

For what music or tone desired would you kick it in? ( sorry, off topic )

9. meterman

meterman Member

You mean the Dyna Red? I have a fuzz, TIM and the DR on my board for dirt. The Dyna can be sweet and smooth or aggressive and sits between the fuzz and TIM in terms of gain. It is voiced like a Marshall and in fact does sound very much like a cranked Plexi in terms of its midrange character. Very versatile in that it has good low-medium and high gain tones. Nice sustain, good pick feel and dynamics, good cleanup at the volume knob. My favorite of Bjorn's pedals...

10. Alter

Alter Member

http://www.jampedals.com/multi_pedals1.htm

check out this guy. he builds multipedals with original pedals, but also does exactly what you described. ..problem is, he lives in greece .. :rolleyes: .. but you 'll get some ideas..

11. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Those look so awesome!!!

12. meterman

meterman Member

Those are very cool! I actually really like the funky handpainted aesthetic of them...

13. Belt

Belt Member

There was a guy on HC trying that out. I don't know how it went. I just housed my distortion and od together. That was fun.

[​IMG]

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Yea? Whats in this one?

15. Belt

Belt Member

Shredmaster on the right
    808 on the left with clipping diode toggle

16. dougb415

dougb415 Member

17. Stratso

Stratso Member

18. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

If money's tight, then try this:

1. First push your pedals together so that they form a square, and then measure that square (width, length, height)
    2. Using those dimensions (and a welding torch), fashion a box (but with the bottom missing) out of 8 guage aluminum.
    3. Make a template for the footswitch areas, and use that template to mark the box for cutting out square holes.
    4. Cut out square holes.
    5. Place box over pedals.
    6. Enjoy.

19. gang twanger

gang twanger Member