• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pedals OFF the floor

eflatminor

When I play crazy, out there experimental/spontaneously composed music, I like to have my Pedal Pad full of effects off the ground, up on an X stand, where I can manipulate the various controls in real time. Obviously, this calls for some fast back and forth movement between guitar and effects...but that's okay, it's part of the sound and I make it work. Of course, some pedals remain on the ground like a Wah...or a loop station.

My problem is that I'd like to go from a loop station to a digital delay with looping capability. I'd really like to have the delay part of the pedal up on my stand (I can get some really cool effects manipulating those knobs!), but I'd also like to be able to use the foot switch for looping without having to take my hands off the guitar. Without building some kind of mechanical apparatus, I don't see how to accomplish this.

Any thoughts?

Is there a digital delay/loop out there to which you can attach a remote foot switch?

MSLBend

When I play crazy, out there experimental/spontaneously composed music, I like to have my Pedal Pad full of effects off the ground, up on an X stand, where I can manipulate the various controls in real time. Obviously, this calls for some fast back and forth movement between guitar and effects...but that's okay, it's part of the sound and I make it work. Of course, some pedals remain on the ground like a Wah...or a loop station.

My problem is that I'd like to go from a loop station to a digital delay with looping capability. I'd really like to have the delay part of the pedal up on my stand (I can get some really cool effects manipulating those knobs!), but I'd also like to be able to use the foot switch for looping without having to take my hands off the guitar. Without building some kind of mechanical apparatus, I don't see how to accomplish this.

Any thoughts?

Is there a digital delay/loop out there to which you can attach a remote foot switch?
The Strymon Timeline for sure, it has MIDI capability and I would imagine any good delay with MIDI would give you a lot of foot controller options. I like to have some of my pedals up on a stand too for the exact same reason.

I've got an Empress Multidrive, which is a great pedal and have fantasized about having a Neil Young like "whizzer" on top of it so I could push a footswitch and it would turn the knobs to various presets. Every conceivable dirt sound is in that pedal and it's a shame to be confined to just two presets.

jrcjoseph

I'm considering putting my Belle Epoch off the ground. I'm always adjusting it and I've started to just turn the mix ccw whenever I just want my guitar (I like the preamp, I leave it in buffered mode anyway). My pedalboard is pretty minimal anyway, but what kind of stand would you put just one pedal on for adjusting? I may just end up putting it on top of my digital piano so I can adjust them all while either sitting down or standing.

mtperry85

I know my Boss DD7 is capable of using a foot switch for tap tempos, but I've never tried it and don't know if it will accomplish what you need.

erksin

I'm considering putting my Belle Epoch off the ground. I'm always adjusting it and I've started to just turn the mix ccw whenever I just want my guitar (I like the preamp, I leave it in buffered mode anyway). My pedalboard is pretty minimal anyway, but what kind of stand would you put just one pedal on for adjusting? I may just end up putting it on top of my digital piano so I can adjust them all while either sitting down or standing.
Howard mounts his on a mic stand. :dunno

For NAMM, I rigged up our Pedaltrain Pro demo board to a hunk of 1/2" pipe with a 45 degree elbow and a floor flange and stuck it in the base of a cymbal stand. Worked great!

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
The EHX large delays (the now-discontinued 16 Second and the 4550) both have 6 button floor pedals. If you're looking for more of a Looper and less on all the (potentially excessive) delay effects, then you might want to check them out. I love my old 16 Second Delay.

mabnotes

I modded a EHX Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai for an external footswitch for this exact reason. Easy to do...

JamonGrande

Silver Supporting Member
Easiest method is with a midi capable delay like the Timeline or Timefactor, connected to a footcontroller controlling the looper. I do something very similar using midi controllers (one on the ground, a more complex midi interface on a stand, and the pedals out of the way by my amp.

The EHX solution is easy too: solder a two conductor jack to the footswitch (which is a two conductor momentary switch, and then use a standard cable and momentary footswitch. I did something similar to control an EHX Voicebox.

Joe

Cgkindler

Timeline all day man.

First off - expression pedal with assignable parameters and tons of banks

Leave it on the floor and use the EP to control the modes you want to trick out!! (Most normally ms or even kinda cool - the mix!!!

Plus with a FCB1010 you have a 10 stomp midi controller with two expression pedals - literally the options are endless (determined only by the time you want to put into it.

kp8

I play with nearly everything on the tabletop actually. And sometime I use a pair of double effect bomb loopers on the floor for activation. Loop-Master made them for me.

The dream is just this but with silent switches/relays but no one will make that for me. I have a looper with a jack deville silent swtch in it and it is nice.

kp8

Loving the silent relay hold thingy on the Dr. Scientist tremolo but that works for me totally on the floor because I have the expression pedal in. Love that. Hands free twiddles.

melodiusthunk

Bronzd & Supported Member
Gold Supporting Member
I will soon be elevating my entire collection, as a recurring lumbar disk problem prohibits bending forward for extended periods (Typically board rewiring). Playing with others, I usually only have 4 or 5 pedals with me (Max), so the small board can stay on the ground.

Seance

While things are up in the air, you may want to accessorize:

I like the cupholder. But doesn't that make it hard to play and drink
at the same time? For optimal performance and all-out psych-jam potential,
you need one of these in your arsenal.

eflatminor

Yep, he beat me to it! Just make sure you solder the hot to tip of the jack...
I'm sure this isn't difficult...but having never done it, I should like to see a video or step-by-step instructions for a newbie.

Do you happen to have a link that might make this a little clearer for me?

mabnotes

Do you have the Hazarai now? If yes, take off the bottom plate. You will see the bottom of a switch on the right. There are 2 different wires (from the circuit board) soldered to 2 different points of the footswitch. You will add 2 more wires to each of the 2 points of the footswitch and then connect one of those wires to the sleeve of a TS jack and the other new wire to the tip connection of the jack. There you go, drill a hole in the case (after removing the board!) and screw the jack in. Plug in a tap tempo style footswitch of your choice (momentary or latching).

Just make sure that the correct wire is going to the sleeve of the jack. If it is reversed then simply touching the sleeve of the jack to metal, like the pedal casing, will cause the switch to activate. It won't break anything but you will have to simply switch the wires on the jack..

OR: PM me if you want it done...?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom