pedals popping when engaged...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamoed, Feb 5, 2008.

1. jamoed

jamoed Member

So I know this is a common problem amongst some pedalboards. Basically all true bypass pedals "pop" when engaged. I have the board wired with a combination of George L cables and some other short cables from varying brands. I just ordered another 10' of George L cables and more plugs to have a full board of George L's.

Here is my pedal chain w/ how each pedal is powered. I am using a Voodoo Labs PP2 along with a power strip off the board to power all my pedals.

Guitar>
    Axess Buffer (powered by PP2)>
    Digitech Whammy 2 (powered by wall wart for the pedal which is fed to the off board power strip) >
    Keeley True Bypass Box for Whammy 2 (powered by PP2)>
    Wah pedal (powered by Dunlop wall wart which is fed to the off board power strip)>
    Fulltone Dejavibe 2 (powered by the respective power supply which is fed to the off board power strip)>
    Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (powered by PP2)>
    Fulltone OCD (powered by PP2) >
    Boss Keeley Modded TR-2 Tremolo (powered by PP2)>
    Boss Tuner (powered by PP2)>
    TRex Replica (I use the TRex power supply plugged directly into the 3 prong power source in the back of the PP2)>
    Boss Jr. Volume Pedal>
    Line 6 DL4 (powered by a Godlyke Powerall using the "green cable", which is fed to the off board power strip)>
    Amp

So that is basically my setup. The PP2 is run underneath the board, which is a Pedaltrain Pro. The PP2 power cable is also run to the off the board power strip.

Any help would be most appreciated!!!

Jamie

2. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Simply try engaging each TB pedal a number of times after you fire them up and this problem should dissapear.

3. jamoed

jamoed Member

thanks for the reply jay. i have done this before to no avail. come to think of it, i dont think i have done this with every pedal, then move to the next. i will have to try that out when i re-wire the board but I have a suspicion this may not be the solution to my problem. appreciate the feedback!

4. dB

dB Supporting Member

I seem to recall someone stating that if George L's aren't perfectly assembled (and therefore grounded properly) they will cause pedals to pop. Try swapping the patch cables on those that pop.

5. jamoed

jamoed Member

yeah i am gonna to try a bunch of different things. i am just trying to figure what the root of the problem could be...

6. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

It is possible that there is a leaky coupling cap somewhere among your pedals or in an active guitar (or in the FX loop of the amp) that is putting a slight DC bias on your signal chain. This will cause everything to be noisy in switching.

7. jamoed

jamoed Member

i dont run my effects in the effects loop of my amp. these are all good things to look for when my order of 10' of George L cables arrives along with (10) right angle connectors. I am going to try and do everything one step at a time but at this point I am looking for reason that can cause the "pop".

thanks for the help!

8. Stratso

Stratso Member

Don't get too excited about pops until you play with a band. There's a good chance that the pops are too low to be noticeable in a band context. Also when you have a lot of gain pedals turned on, the pops get amplified.

9. alivegy

alivegy Member

I had a bad cable do this to me. If the pedal isn't grounding properly you'll get that pop and that can be caused by a bad cable or bad connection.

10. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

11. sandman

sandman Member

also check the V1 tube in your amp

12. jamoed

jamoed Member

i will look into everything

i do play in band and when we are all playing it is still noticeable, at least to me. stinks when u have delays on and engage other pedal, the "pop" is repeated!

when i get my cables Im gonna go through everything in greater detail. i got a gig tomorrow so i am just gonna have to deal with it another day.

thanks fellas for the help!
    j

13. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I have owned some true-bypass Maxon VS pedals that don't have this problem.