Pedals similar to the Tube Zone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by d3nzi0, Jan 24, 2012.

1. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

Hi folks,

Tried out the Tube Zone yesterday at my local guitar shop and I liked it very much! Looking at getting it to replace my Crunch Box on the board.

However, just want to know if there are any other pedals similar to the TZ in terms of gain and EQ controls.

2. Sikor

Sikor Member

I really there is none :)

I have/had many heavy drive pedals and TZ has really unique EQ controls.
    Very tweakable (which good or bad thing, it depends :)).

3. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

Try the Emma Reeza. Much better pedal than the Crunch Box and Tube Zone, both of which I had a lot of experience with and the crunch box got kicked off after a week. Tube Zone had a nice stay. Sounds great with a Les Paul and SG.

4. Sikor

Sikor Member

I had a Reeza ver1 too.
    It was nice pedal, but nothing staggering about it and less versatile than TZ.
    I liked TZ more :aok

5. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

Really? Interesting. I had the V1 tubezone and i thought the Reeza cut much more live, and also had more "body" to the sound. Just my experience. Playing Tele/SG through a Super Reverb and sometimes an AC30, if that helps at all.

6. chance0

chance0 Member

This.

Here are some settings to try:

To make it sound like a Wampler Pinnacle: turn the Tone control up, Drive midway, mids less than half, and brightness down to half, internal presence way down. Character up a smidge.

To make it sound like an OCD: Tone @ noon, mids above half, brightness up, internal presence down.

To make it sound like a Timmy: Tone @ noon, mids up, brightness up, internal presence down.

To make it sound like a Mesa Mark IV: Tone @noon, mids all the way up, brightness up, presence down, and put it front of a bright, sparkly amp with a Fender tone stack.

To make it sound like a Marshall: Put an EQ before and push the upper mids and treble.

And my list could go on. Too good to be true? Yes. Too good to get you 90% there in each case? Not at all. I've A/B'd it to heaven and back. Amazing pedal.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. chance0

chance0 Member

I often find that the Tube Zone seems to have less body than other pedals, but then I turn up the tone, cut back the brightness and internal presence, which was not available on the TZ v.1.

Just as much body as all the other pedals I've tried.

8. timmat

timmat Supporting Member

I've went through so many distortions, but I never flip the TZ. And if you are patient, they are available in the emporium from time to time for a steal these days.

9. HBob

HBob Member

TZ is a great one. (I have the 6 large knob version) I think a lot of people overlook that internal presence trim pot. Really changes the pedal. The TZ is even a great clean boost. I also had the Reeza and moved it along. The always present bass boost was too much. Maybe the newer version works better.

10. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

exellent - i think i will get one soon!