Pedals that are good for direct recording

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneRanger, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Anyone record direct from time to time? What do you use?

I generally prefer micing of course, but sometimes it just not possible when I do demos at home or if we want a special flavour recording.

I don't own or even want to own a special purpose direct recording unit.. I'm thinking about "normal overdrives" and such. What works for you, what do you use?

Things that have worked for me:
    Hot Cake - surprise surprise, a winner in this category as well. works really well, I've been able to achieve almost everything from crunchy rhythm sounds to a great Jimmy Page-esque lead sound, with great sustain..

.. well that's about it for now. I'm really looking forward to trying my Catalinbread SCP, it has such a flattering eq curve that it might make the direct recorded guitar sound a bit more "real". My COT sounded pretty good as well, but I have to explore it a bit more. Seemed though that it didnt work quite as well in this application as the Hot Cake.

Also pedals that I have experience with but dont own that have worked great:
    Menatone Top Boost In A Can,
    King Of Britains works really well, or so I was told

Some fuzz pedals sound really wicked recorded direct, they can almost sound like synths..

2. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

"I don't own or even want to own a special purpose direct recording unit.."

Why not? :confused: As far as direct recording goes it's hard to beat a PodXT and some decent outboard gear.

I consistently get great sounds running mine into a Universal Audio LA-610 into Pro-Tools. Much more convincing than any stomp box on it's own.

I regularly use pedals in front of the Pod as well depending on what I may be going after. IMO you can't beat a Pod and a decent channel strip for home recording.

When I do go direct it's for something I'm going to mutate into god-knows-what or it's for something ultraclean.

:BEER

3. covert

covert Member

I have gotten useable di souns from a Boss GT-3, and a Zoom sim box. The best results have come from an H&K Blues Master.

4. el34power

el34power Member

The Digitech DF-7 sounds pretty damn good for the price. I haven't experimented a lot yet but you have diffenrent configurations for the outputs ie: 2 amps or 1 amp/1 mixer 2 mixer and varialble strereo spectrums

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The V-Stack series... Classic, Tweedy & Brian May - were all designed for direct recording, and they do it very well.

6. onemind

onemind Member

I used to get pretty great sounds direct with a Fulltone Distortion Pro...Come to think of it that was into a POD set clean....Tim into Radial DI has worked for me as well..

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

The V-Stack was designed to be used direct, turn the tone knob below 12 o'clock and it works as a speaker sim.

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I don't think ToneRanger means pedals with cabinet simulators or such, rather normal OD and distortion pedals that just sound good when plugged straight into the board...

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

An acoustic guitar into a boss ac-2 sounds positively dreamy

10. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I record lots of pedals direct via a palmer PDI-09 and they sound great....much nicer than a POD imo because they are more natural sounding. My favorite is the FoxRox Zim because of all the different voicing options for double trackings....huge sounds.

11. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

SIB Fatdrive: best inst. level direct box I've tried. Not an overdrive.
    Way Huge Saffron compressor, or the Analogman clone thereof.
    Retrospec Squeezebox (unfortunately long OOP and rare).
    The SIB Varidrive or Hot Chili Tubester.
    Any good Big Muff.
    Boss/Ibanez analog delays are the ticket- create "air" w'out digital sheen on the highs. (The recent Maxon stuff sounds very good, too.)

Also:
    Joemeek Pro Channel
    RNC "Really Nice Compressor"
    Matchless RV-1: advertised as a reverb unit, but works brilliantly as a direct preamp.

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

Mesa Boogie V-Twin sounds pretty good direct. Maybe run the Hotcake or a TS in front of it for more tones.

13. playon

playon Supporting Member

I'm planning on using me Sex Drive pedal the next time I record guitar direct, I bet it will work great for that.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Old style Sansamp pedal-use it without the "close mic" switch for a distortion pedal, with it for direct. Kick it with a Klon and you're in mid to high gain heaven, but it also does a nice Fender...

15. Unburst

Unburst Member

The V-Stack does both.

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

It's not a pedal, but if you're looking for a classic Marshall/Fender tone, it's hard to beat an ART Power Plant. A two-channel preamp, clean and gain. No effects and an analog signal path. A variety of usable outputs (1/4", XLR, FX Loop, etc.)

They can be had for less than $75 and are really great for DI recording.

Loudboy

17. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

something i did that worked really great for me was to go straight from a countryman Di directly into protools. I could then take the the clean signal
    and reamp it, rerecord it, adding whatever effects the track needed. sort of like the pod in reverse.

18. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

The AdrenaLinn II with the newest software chip. There's a few really nice models but the "Budda Twinmaster" one is the best DI tone I've ever personally used as far as emulating the feel and dynamics of a mic'd tube amp .

And I've played all of these at one time or another: Amplitube, POD, Rocktron Replitube, Digitech 2101, Yamaha DGStomp, Tech21 Sansamp, and a few others I can't remember.

19. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

20. kp8

kp8 Member

i understand it you are not asking for a:

1> DI box
    2> modeller

Sounds like the Barber Launch Pad is EXACTLY what you describe, an
    overdrive pedal that can also function as a DI or boost.