Pedals that inspire learning new things

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek_32999, Dec 25, 2005.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I have been playing all day now with my new monster & planet waves cables I got for christmas. (I love my wife :) ) WAY better than the radio shack crap I was used to. It even made my pedals sound better especially the touch sensitive ones like Mosferatu, Hellbaby, and Hellbilly (and combinations of stacking these into either fish factory or timmy, which is also NICE). They seemed to be a lot more touch sensitive, and stacking seemed to pass that trait somewhat to the next pedal in line. Yes I know most of you know all about this stuff, I did too, but could never get the touch sensitivity down to work to the point that I felt I had full control over my instrument. I practiced all day on right hand technique because of this, and feel as though I have a much better understanding of using the volume on my guitar and tone knobs. Have any of you had a pedal that made you discover things you never knew, or inspired you to learn new things? Another example would be the mosferatu and timmy inspiring me to find the sweet spots on my fretboard that produce that natural bloom that is so awesome when used in the right context.

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I just got a Shannon UniPhase vibe pedal. I've never used a vibe before. I bought this because it's one of only 20 made (I have #16) and I thought it would be a good investment. It sounds wayyyyy too good to keep in a vault, and now I'm going to really investigate some Robin Trower tunes!

3. 1968

1968 Member

I don't think I have ever bought a pedal without being insprired in some way.. Thats part of the reason my bank account is zero most of the time..

4. alguit

alguit Guest

Amen to that!

I will say that an old classic, the E-Bow, has been particularly inspirational; it got me thinking about a more melodic approach to my playing-Miles Davis is one of the biggest influences on my playing, his ability to hit just the right notes and to do so with an economy and taste that is staggering (a bit OT, but listen to his wah playing on "Live Evil"-it perked up my ears to the possibilities of that pedal). Also, it has real potential in orchestrating guitars both on recordings and live; one can play a cello-like part and then emulate cross-bowing and even backwards parts.

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Thats interesting, I never used an ebow. What does it do?

6. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Ebow generates an electro magnetic field that in effect causes the string to vibrate... pretty cool
    One of these days I need to try one of the Fernandez guitars.

HJ
    www.harryj.net

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

hmmm

I'd say a looper, like my rc-20xl. Great way to figure out multiple guitar parts when composing

8. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Think about the guitar on Bowie's "Heroes." That's Robert Fripp with an Ebow.

Essentially, it's two bar magnets with a powered coil in between, which charge the mags at a very fast, alternating rate. When you place a steel string between the mags, they make it vibrate. Very long sustain (without pick attack) is possible.

As for the original question: the Whammy. Not a perfect pedal, needs TB, but it opens up a sense of intervals which standard tuning doesn't easily accommodate. That said, no pedal ever opened up the instrument for me the way learning about open g and dadgad did.

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ahh I never thought about alternate tunings that way. I am going to have to try some. THANKS!!

10. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Yay DADGAD!

Modulated delay changes everything.

11. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

the most inspiring effect i ever scored was a 70s EP3 Echoplex.. really opened up things for me.. not a pedal but it did have on/off stomp switch. does that count?.... been into delay/echo effects ever since...

12. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

the lofi loop junky, no doubt. Oh, and this freagin g7th capo.

13. Don L

Don L Member

My LDO that's just been tweaked a little by John. I haven't used it for two years, and now, it's all I want to use these days. Talk about smooth singing overdrive!

14. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I bought a Leslie 120 cabinet years ago. Since then, I have been inspired to learn "organ" licks for guitar (mainly bluesy). I don't have enough cables to hook everything up yet and I need a couple/few other things before I'm set, but I'm creating a system that will require some practice to use. I designed a custom switching/routing system, I bought an E-H POG to run through an amp driving the Leslie cabinet, with an extra weird compressor to get Hammond tones. It's pretty killer. I also have a Loop Station worked into the system, so I can loop rhythms and play over them w/ independent guitar or organ sounds (or both).

15. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

wgs1230: You're so right about tunings. Pedals have great fascination, but limited influence in comparison to learning open tunings, at least for me.