Pedals that really surprised you?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NewarkWilder, Aug 17, 2008.

1. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

maybe you picked one up on a whim, or got one in a trade expecting to turn around and trade it for something else.... but then it grabbed you and you realized you'd found something special you weren't even really looking for?

For me right now its the Fetto. Got one in a trade here on TGP and didn't really expect it to fit with my style. But holy smokes this thing is perfect for my tone. It also adds some character to the fuzzes I put after it and really exceeded all my expectations on every level. Not that I thought it was a bad pedal--the reviews have all been glowing, just didn't think it'd work out for me. Boy was I wrong.

So yay for the Fetto!

Whats your story?

2. fishlog

fishlog Member

Boss DS-1

I bought one to have it modded by Robert Keeley. Got it on eBay. When I got it and plugged it in I just shook my head... $20 bucks? And its this good?

I did end up having it modded by Keeley and it was even better. Under $100 dollars total and to think I was going to spend $150 to $200 on some crazy boutique distortion!

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Boss SD-1. My favorite OD after trying them all!!

4. Schtomp

Schtomp Member

ROSS compressor, bought it for less than $10 back in 82, the store had loads of old pedals from the 70´s in a big box on the counter, all priced the same.

And a big +1 on the Fetto, though this one was no suprise to me, I first got to hear it when it was a bunch of components mounted on a lab board - Joakim aka Himmelstrutz is one of those guys with otherwordly talent, can´t wait for his next creation^^

5. Blueser

Blueser Member

+1 on the Fetto. I thought it was a great pedal. Naturally I sold it in my continued search for God knows what, but if I get a chance to pick up another down the road, I will probably snag it.

BB Preamp is another that has become an all time fave for me, when I wasn't expecting much.

6. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I hear a lot about the BB Preamp. Gonna have to take a close look at that. Also been thinking about picking up a Keeley or Analogman OD of some sort myself... my buddy swears by his SD-1.

7. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

Xotic AC Booster really took me by surprise.

8. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

I just picked up a Daneclectro Coot Cat Transparent Overdrive (Not the Drive pedal). Love it.

9. Blueser

Blueser Member

Yes....It is a great medium gain pedal that does a perfect Marshall crunch with treble up a bit closer to noon. It also morphs into more of a Dumble type tone when you run the treble lower and goose the gain a bit. Very versatile pedal with great tone! In the world of OD pedals, I only like the Klon a bit better. That amazes me, as I have tried dozens of OD pedals, and the Klon and BB have retained their position on the board solidly against all comers. They are absolutely magical when you stack them together!

10. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

Mmmm... Klon. I still haven't worked up the nerve to spend that much on a pedal yet but I should probably bite the bullet before they get even pricier.

11. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Vintage RI Rat. I mentioned this in another thread along with others but I was floored by how good the low gain settings of that pedal sounded. Very dynamic and just enough grit to push my amp into overdrive.

12. m@2

m@2 Member

i know Klon Centaur is considered over-hyped by many, but i was totally suprised how much i liked the centaur. Might just be my rig, as some have said it does not work well for them, but I am loving it. Hard to imagine going back. Are they expensive? yes. but still relatively inexpensive compared to what it adds to the mix (IMO)

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The Keeley Fuzz Head surprised the heck out of me this weekend!

I've had it for a little over a year, and it wasn't doing a whole lot for me. But recently I activated my VHT Valvulator buffer at the end of my pedalboard (it was disconnected previously, using only the power supply jacks). Yesterday was the first time since the buffer move that I decided to play the Fuzz Head. Holy smokes, now we have a winning combination of fuzz and buffer!

14. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

absolute +1. i f-ing love that little yellow box!!:AOK

15. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

any of you guys have a take on the AM SD-1 vs the Keeley SD-1?

16. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Gain Stage Red (Use it for lower gain boost, not Dumble tones) and my old Real Tube (Use it for massive OD, man this has balls) which has been with me for twenty years. The other is my Budda BudWah Wah. I have owned a Thomas Cry Baby, a Vox and a Morley years back and the Budda beats them all.

17. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

OCD and Liquid Sunshine are 2 pedals that I really enjoyed as soon as I tried them out

18. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

hmm i need to take a look at the liquid sunshine. i like what subdecay is doing, good company.

19. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Barber Small Fry.....sold my Zendrive and my Eternity...sounded better than both of them.

20. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

Skreddy Pink Flesh and mayo I resisted for the longest time, I own both, and Holy CRap!!!! Its done right, both of them. Wow.....