Pedals that sound better live

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by plan-x, Jan 2, 2008.

1. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I noticed that some pedals sound better in a loud band situation than others. For example my Barber pedals (DD & LTD) sound better that way. And on the other hand my CB doesn't.
    What pedals have you guys noticed that are that way.

2. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i find that almost all of my pedals sound better at gig-volume. not to say any of them sound bad at low volumes, but the ones that really sound great at gig volume are my COT50 and rangemaster clone.... i actually don't use the rangemaster unless i'm turned up kind of loud anyway.

3. teanett

teanett Member

better loud +live/practice:

fulltone '70
    fulldrive 2
    mojo vibe
    DS-1

worse:

rotovibe
    cry baby

4. alnico2

alnico2 Member

The FD2 loves loud...where it shines.

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Any real tubescreamer is better at gig volume. I can't say as much for alot of flat EQ improved screamers though.

6. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Another vote for the FD. Not a bedroom pedal. Most of the Fulltone stuff seems made for gig levels.

7. teanett

teanett Member

they sure are.
    fuller knows what he's doing. killer guitarist.

8. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I think Barber pedals also are better at gig level.

9. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

EGDM, virtually any overdrive worth a crap... almost any fuzz ever created.... you have to crank em.

10. jgyn

jgyn Member

I find this true of my Roger Mayer pedals.

11. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

Durham Sex Drive and Java Boost.

12. teanett

teanett Member

interesting topic but only 10 replies?

mostly bedroom players here, huh?

13. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Here's a spanner in the works: Cry baby - perfect in the studio, annoying/weak live.
    BOSS Vwah - pile of crap in the studio, absolutely HUGE live at decent - totally indecent volume. The adjustable Q range helps out there. A/Bed them at a new year's gig and the vote was unanamous.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it. There's more to the Vwah than meets the eye/ear/heel.
    I'd also go for the OD3 too. Once the tubes start cooking on my class A amps (usually after 6 hours of playing unfortunately), this thing really helps out. Can't stand it at bedroom volume though. I think some BOSS pedals are designed with huge volume and power amp interactivity in mind, moreso than other stock effects.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

#1 for me live is Zendrive for the cut and melding into the band it does (it's not a contradiction, it cuts through, but in a polite way).

Klon, it's off and on. I think dependant on my amp more than anything. With some (good) amps it really does it, with some others not as well and can sound low-fi.

My H2O also, at band volumes and especially in an amps effects loop.

15. Colt

Colt Member

Any decent (germ) fuzz.

Treble boosters

This has alot to do with the amp working though.

16. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

It has been shown that we get sort of "high" by loud sounds (specially music), it's purely physical - loud music even disturbs our vestibular (balance) capabilities. No wonder a live concert not only sounds but also feels great. Back to guitar tone: it is natural then that a louder guitar overdriven sound will sound better. Then why some pedals don't? Well, My guess is that it has not much to do with loudness itself but with how the environment affects the type of frequencies that emanates from the pedal, in 2 respects: 1) shape/texture of the environment when it's reverberating/reflecting from your bedroom walls/floor or propagating freely in an open environment; 2) interaction with background noise of a live audience. Higher frequencies are more focused and directed and more prone to changes in the environment geometry and surface roughness/texture, lower frequencies are more diffuse and more independent on the environment. Balancing the frequencies' cuts and boosts of a pedal to sound great becomes then highly dependent on how you'll use it, whether it's for recording or for live use in small clubs or large places...

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

While I agree with a lot of that, I find that some pedals get "bigger" and more encompassing in a good way, and others get smaller and lost, ยจ
    I think it has more to do with compression of signals, freqs. etc.

18. madscientist

madscientist Member

I almost sold my Red Snapper until I took it to rehearsal one day. It sounded amazing live.

I'm still considering letting it go though.

19. Grap

Grap Member

Yeah. Gig volume is a great leveller. I have a fairly big array of pedals, modded, booteek, bog-standard. The differences between the ones that sound fabulous at apartment volumes and the ones that don't disappear as soon as the drummer's kicking it and the drunks are dancing...

20. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

The Hotcake works great live.