Pedals that sound better than their video demos and pedals that sound worse

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jwri9790, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

So after reading the SLOstortion V Riot thread I got the idea that lots of pedals sound worse/different that their respective video demos and people generally hate a pedal when it arrives in the real world. So what pedals do you think sound better than their video demos and which sound worse.

I played my friends Screwdriver and words can't describe how much better that pedal is in the real world compared to every single video demo.

2. bahklava

bahklava Senior Member

I think it depends somewhat on the guitar and amp that get used in the demo. If I had a rig half as expensive as what gets shown in the demo videos, hell, I'd make those pedals sound good, too.

3. joe_k

joe_k Member

trex tonebug reverb. while it does some pretty great reverb, the white noise hiss while it is on is a deal breaker. plus i have emailed trex a couple of times to ask if i can do something to fix it and no reply which is unfortunate.

4. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Most pedals sound better to me in person than in demos.

5. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

def depends on the player and gear, but the higher end video productions (ie burgs, toneshack, etc) can give u a really good ballpark idea. Pedals that sounded better for me: TS808, Kalamazoo, Rats. Worse: Boss BC-2

6. 10strings

10strings Member

TC Electronic VPD1 was 1000% better in person than demos... wow Shocked!!

7. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

My fave pedal, Solidgold Superdrive, has horrible demos. Horrible.

If I could make the Tim's I bought sound anything like their demos I would've kept 'em. Ditto the Basic Audio Scarab (both versions).

Having owned a King of Tone, I kinda hear what I don't like about it in demos, but I think the demos tend to flatter the pedal. Weirdly, I did a shoot out of the KOT and above-mentioned Superdrive and the KOT sounded much better in the clip than in the room (said shootout is on a virus-ridden hard drive; I hope to rescue it one day). -E