Pedals to "paint soundscapes"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buzzp, Mar 6, 2015.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

Since I'm not playing in a band right now (unfortunately), I want fun tools to build cool soundscapes. Ideally, they would work well in a live environment as I plan on getting back out there soon.

All I have right now is a skinpimp face plant and a mid-70s small stone, so here's what I'm thinking of adding:

-Boomerang (or similar)
    -Red Panda Context / WET reverb
    -Spring Theory
    -Carbon Copy

Any other suggestions?

2. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

Analog Man ARDX20 with modulation in the effects loop (repeats only). I preferred to put my POG2 in there and set it to Cello mode for a blooming ambient pad beneath my dry guitar signal.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

A Zoom CDR is really cool for that. You van chain several effects. Small footprint. Easy to program.

4. buzzp

buzzp Member

Those are some cool ideas, thanks guys.

Do you guys think the boomerang is overkill? It's definitely pricey.

5. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

A good looper is essential, IMO. I would at least consider the Pigtronix Infinity, as well. Equally pricey, but it sounds great.

6. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

7. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

• Good looper (or two!) - Infinity would be my choice
    • Modulating reverb - Something like the Mr Black Supermoon or even better, the Flux Liquid Ambiance (bit of a wait time)
    • Synth - EX Superego is a common choice
    • Some sort of weird digital modulator - Red Panda Particle, EQD Rainbow Machine, Montreal Assembly Count to Five, etc.

8. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I've tried a bunch in the last few years, and to me the boomerang 3 was the best as far as form factor goes. Just really the easiest switches I found to start and stop loops and make seamless transitions. If you don't need a bunch of advanced routing options and you wouldn't use the serial mode (verse/chorus/bridge stuff) it may be overkill.

9. Modulator

Modulator Member

To get started, any looper, a delay and a volume pedal could be the brushes, your dirt, fuzz, modulation, other insanity, etc. could be the colors.

An ebow is great for long synthlike attacks in place of a volume pedal too if you want to keep the board small.

I have an infinity and an echoplex digital pro. I still prefer the EDP, even though it has a lot more limitations than the Infinity in loop length, stereo, two simultaneous loops, etc.

10. buzzp

buzzp Member

If the boomerang iii or pigtronix infinity are going to be overkill for me, what would you guys suggest looking at?

11. Ivo

Ivo Member

Boss Slicer

Slice yo face.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

A boss ps-6 pitch/harmony/detune can be great tool to have, especially with a looper to do pseudo bass/synth lines ect. Or use pitch detune as a chorus and get a vol pedal (another essential to me) to do big fat swells with or without delays.

13. secretsoundz

secretsoundz Member

Catalinbread Echorec!

14. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

If you aren't apposed to spending that kind of cash on a looper let me throw out the suggestion of a line 6 m9. The looper is really great for this kind of thing. Half time and reverse are very useful, the play once button can be used creatively, and it has a low/high pass filter which can be useful. Another big deal about it is the ability to set the looper before the effects. The ability to add modulation or delay to a loop after the fact all in one box is really cool.

If you take this route not only would you be getting a very versatile and unique looping box, but access to a lot of very decent effects. Some are down right great. You can also do some very creative things having delays/mods synced to the same tap tempo button.

15. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

otoh & only for clarity's sake:
    the Infinity has many more creative limitations than the EDP does in terms of real-time editing (both rhythmic & arrhythmic, quantised & unquantised), recording/overdubbing/multiplying/dividing/insertiing & etc.

16. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

If the two big box Strymons are mentioned yet, THEY SHOULD BE,

Timeline and BigSky man - the Timeline has a looper built in so that helps there too.

I'd imagine a Mobius before all of that with a nice trem/flange effect would help with a really neat soundscape possibility.

Just my $.02

That'd be all I'd need.

The Timeline's Trem Delay is AMAZING

17. jw112

jw112 Member

18. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Totally agreed, but the Infinity sure sounds better than the EDP. The Infinity is sort of "the thinking man's Ditto X2," a simple (-ish) floor looper. On the other hand, the EDP is a great creative took that is more akin to an instrument. I sure hope that the Evoloop sees the light of day, and that it sounds as good as the Infinity. These ideas need to live on.

19. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

agreed!

indeed.
    we'll see!

back to the painting.....

20. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Tera Echo can get weird but it's still usedul in a live band setting