Pedals with 65 London?

thelionsden

Hi guys,

Got a 65 amps London here and it really is a nice amp. My playing situation is a low volume one. To give you an example, I am using the amp EF86 channel with the volume on two and a Komet airbrake down to the last click ( but thankfully I get to keep the bedroom knob all the way up! :) Rock on! ). When playing an amp this low, pedals don't always have their usual effect it seems and can sometimes sound brittle or drives seem to sound overly crunchy even with low gain levels. This weekend I used a Diamond compressor to give some life to the sound and it was nice but the attack is still a bit squashed even on minimum compression levels.. I am thinking about a Tonepress to blend in some uneffected tone. For crunch I was using a Fulldrive which worked pretty well but again seemed a bit too distorted...Also had a Timmy in the mix for various uses mostly stacked with the fulldrive for leads but by itself, it seemed a bit brittle. I am sure a bit of eq adjust would get me closer but tweaking time was limited. I usually use a Red Snapper to drive voxy style amps into a chimey crunch but mine went on the fritz at the rehearsal.

I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions for pedals that work well with the London in general, and perhaps more specifically, work well under the low volume requirements I have.

BTW, I was playing the amp unattenuated for a bit with the volume at about 4, boost on and a Lovepedal COT50 and I have to say the the London is capable of some unbelievably phenomenal tone! That Cot50 is a unique pedal that doesn't work for everything, but it turns the London into a musical Raging Beast!

Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Dennis

Hipster Dofus

I have the 2x12 Combo version. Absolutly love this amp!!!

I do not have the volume restrictions you do at all. I play the amp fairly loud on most gigs, and cranked a few times as well. It is a wonderfull amp at any volume, but past 1/3 is where it's at for me. Vox ch boosted at 4-6, and Marshall side 5-8. I use 2 EJ Strats with mine, and I think singlecoils rock with the amp best, but thats my 2C.....

I use an OCD V1 for a few tunes to get a really Rock tone, but mostly guitar and amp. I do have an EVH MXR 90 for some Jimi/DBII stype stuff. I just used it for the first time a few days back. Seems to work really well with the amp in Gig situations. I also bought a DD20 again:mad:. I sold the first one because it was noisy as hell on the front of an amp. Adds a slight high pitch tone all the time as well. I had a Hayseed30 before and it did this with that amp as well. I would like a bit of Delay once in a while, but I will not be keeping the DD20.....

I will prolly get a Wha again for this amp as I think it would work well with it.

Procos prolly has a few cool stompers and he has a London as well. He has had it for over a year, and I would trust his opinions.

dewman

try the fulldrive in comp cut mode or in FM mode running at 18V instead of 9V. The EL84 amps are tricky since the tubes compress so much already and the natural OD is so mnice in that amp. Same thing goes for the Dr Z Carmen Ghia- a finicky amp to some degree for OD and dirt/fuzz pedals. I think this amp is designed to be cranked a bit to get a nice full tone. The Hellbilly works great with the Ghia,so maybe that's one to try.

congrats on getting another london!

when it comes to low volume playing ... i've found the best things to livin' up not only the clean tone, but also overdrive pedals are my SBEQ and MDEQ. these pedals are amazing for this. they make all my pedals sound great at low volumes and they are also very useful at any volume.

thelionsden

Thanks HD, I have the combo as well..It really is good. If you get a chance , at the levels you are playing at,try a COT50. It is explosive! I also have had good success with an Eternity for huge tones when I was able to play the amp at higher volumes. Thanks for the suggestions. I have an OCD that I got in a trade but haven't really familiarized myself with it yet. How do you dial it? I could probably turn the amp up a bit more with single coils ( I usually play a Strat) but I was using humbuckers this weekend for the songs we were doing and I needed a pretty clean base tone and the ef86 channel gives it up pretty quick with HB's. Maybe Chuck will weigh in with a few suggestions if he can tear himself away from that Pure 64 he is currently enamored with!

Dewman, thanks..I need to try the FD at 18v.

thelionsden

congrats on getting another london!

when it comes to low volume playing ... i've found the best things to livin' up not only the clean tone, but also overdrive pedals are my SBEQ and MDEQ. these pedals are amazing for this. they make all my pedals sound great at low volumes and they are also very useful at any volume.

Great...I just sold my SBEQ! Whats the MDEQ?

The SBEQ is great for shaping the cleans ... you can even attenuate the signal a bit with the volume knob. The MDEQ (www.antelopefx.com - out of production) is a lot more drastic and noticable ... this pedal can go either way ... i use this one to shape my overdrives ... but it also sounds amazing paired up with the SBEQ for cleans :D.

Brian from AntelopeFX will be putting up about 10 MDEQ's on ebay this coming month. I highly suggest you pick one up. I have mine right now, and i'm on the list for the last batch to be made. I plan on having both on my board.

when that happens ... i might let go of my SBEQ ... which i feel, i don't use to it's fullest potential as an amazing boost.

Hipster Dofus

My OCD is stuck in the LP mode. I use it with all the knobs around 10:00 give or take. I have a Bad Monkey for back-up but I have never actually used it with the London.

I would recomend the strat as you can push the amp harder, and it's very responsive to the guitars volume that way.

leofenderbender

Nobody Special
Silver Supporting Member
Mine is the London head into a Bruno 212 cabinet loaded with a Weber Blue Dog Alnico and a Weber Blue Dog ceramic. I use the Janglebox for a treble booster with mine. The amp benefits by a boost in treble - you can really get the goods out of it then - especially on the colour side.

As for overdrives, the AC Booster, Honeybee, and Blues Devil are everything I need. It is such a fine amp!

thelionsden

Mine is the London head into a Bruno 212 cabinet loaded with a Weber Blue Dog Alnico and a Weber Blue Dog ceramic. I use the Janglebox for a treble booster with mine. The amp benefits by a boost in treble - you can really get the goods out of it then - especially on the colour side.

As for overdrives, the AC Booster, Honeybee, and Blues Devil are
everything I need. It is such a fine amp!

I agree that a bit of treble boost sounds good. The amp seems to be a bit dark overall but toneful or "warm". I had a Janglebox for a bit but it seemed to produce quite a bit of hiss.. The Red Snapper has a bite knob which works well to boost treble and the Eternity has a treble boost as part of the pedal as well, probably the reason I like those pedals with the amp. Treble boost can seems to accentuate any disposition toward brittleness when attenuated though. Thanks for the drive suggestions.. I am also interested in trying a Richter for attenuation.. I have the Komet which really does work well with this amp and a few Allessandro Muzzles which I like better with certain amps but not this one, but I hear that the Richter is very good.

D

KennyM

Silver Supporting Member
I was over at 65 Amps a couple of weeks ago and Dan gave me a Colour Boost to check out. He said they really tailored it to work well with the London's EF86 channel and after getting it back home I have to agree. Not only is it a great match for the London, but it sounds really good with a lot of my other amps too. Needless to say, I've got to call him and give him a credit card # because it's not going back.

Keep in mind that it's not your typical smooth sounding overdrive. It's much more quirky and peaky sounding eq wise. Really works well with the London and it's a sound you'll recognize from a lot of classic records of the past. Highly recomended especially if you want something different from the latest tube screamer variation.

Kenny M.

electroid

Not sure about that amp but some amps have a "Bright Cap" wired to the volume control. It adds brightness at low volume and sometimes a little too much brightness for some pedels, expecially at super low settings of the volume knob. Some amps start working much better with overdrive pedels if the cap is disconnected. You might want to check with the "65" guys to see if this would apply to your amp.

jmp

Silver Supporting Member
A buddy of mine just got the 65 London head & cab and we plugged up a Fulltone OCD and a Hamer Flying V. Great tone at apartment-friendly volumes and it seemed to compliment the amp's natural tone, as well.

Hipster Dofus

Anyone run both ch as the same time? My A/B sw is a simple one that will not reverse polarity... Is it worth it?

What do you guys use for Delay? My brandnew DD20 is going back. Too noisy.I had a cheap Ibanez I used for years. Blue sound tank DDL. Always worked with all my amps.

thelionsden

I was over at 65 Amps a couple of weeks ago and Dan gave me a Colour Boost to check out. He said they really tailored it to work well with the London's EF86 channel and after getting it back home I have to agree. Not only is it a great match for the London, but it sounds really good with a lot of my other amps too. Needless to say, I've got to call him and give him a credit card # because it's not going back. <snip>

Kenny M.

This is a great idea Kenny, I had forgotten about this.

I'll check on that brite cap electroid... I wouldn't have thought of it because the amp is so warm sounding at regular volumes that I wouldn't want to darken it further but it makes sense that it might sound more brittle at low volumes and especially when driven. Does this cap in circuit act in any way similar to what you have when you have a bypass cap (sometimes combined with a resistor) on a guitar volume control that maintains treble when turned down? I find that to sound brittle as well and that the selection of the cap value is critical to minimize this propensity to brittle tone. In fact, I usually cut those out, as the negatives usually outweigh the positives to my ear. If it does have it in there maybe I will put it on a switch.

jmp, I am gonna give the OCD a thorough listen thanks.

Great suggestions!

Dennis

thelionsden

Anyone run both ch as the same time? My A/B sw is a simple one that will not reverse polarity... Is it worth it?

What do you guys use for Delay? My brandnew DD20 is going back. Too noisy.I had a cheap Ibanez I used for years. Blue sound tank DDL. Always worked with all my amps.

You could probably try both channels at once by reversing the wires on one end of a guitar cable from your ab switch to the amp (if it has "Y" as well, you didn't say...)

As for delay, I used a DLS Echotap I just recently got and it was pretty cool. Of course in my case I had a very clean tone on the amp. If you have the amp cranked up and distorting it will obviously distort your delays too and to me the delay affects the way the guitar hits the amp and muddies up the tone. An interesting idea a guy presented as the poor mans loop with a two channel marshall was to "Y" into the second channel through the delay and set that channel up for a cleaner tone. It may be possible to get a pretty good level match with the London because the EF86 channel breaks up earlier and the second channel could provide some cleaner delays. You will have the same phase issue though so you will have to have the reversing a/b box or the cable I described. Also, sometimes pedals reverse the phase when on so if it did and left the pedal on all the time, you wouldn't need either the phase reversing a/b or the cable. Just have to experiment. For really clean delays but more elaborate setup would be to obtain a line level signal from the amp, send it through a delay and then into another amp and speaker. You could use a device like a hotplate to obtain the line level signal from the speaker out which would then be after all the distortion providing the cleanest delays. Then you can use the good stuff like Lexicon or TC2290! I had my tech make me a special speaker cable with a voltage divider in the plug (very inexpensive parts) from the speaker out sending speaker level into one cable and line level to another. I am usually too lazy to carry the additional amp and speaker and rack with delays/reverbs. You could probably still use a stomp box delay if it could handle the line level or have the voltage divider made with the appropriate level in mind. Doesn't have to be a guitar amp to amplify this delayed signal, even a powered monitor like a mackie or a JBL and you could feed the delayed signal direct to another input of the FOH for gigs.

Way more than you wanted to hear about this subject I'm sure! But I am halfway through my first pot of coffee....!:crazy

Dennis

electroid

This is a great idea Kenny, I had forgotten about this.

I'll check on that brite cap electroid... I wouldn't have thought of it because the amp is so warm sounding at regular volumes that I wouldn't want to darken it further but it makes sense that it might sound more brittle at low volumes and especially when driven. Does this cap in circuit act in any way similar to what you have when you have a bypass cap (sometimes combined with a resistor) on a guitar volume control that maintains treble when turned down? I find that to sound brittle as well and that the selection of the cap value is critical to minimize this propensity to brittle tone. In fact, I usually cut those out, as the negatives usually outweigh the positives to my ear. If it does have it in there maybe I will put it on a switch.

Dennis

Yes, bright caps in amps are usually wired like the bypass caps on guitar volume controls but they are usually not combined with resistors. A lot of amps use them. Common examples are vintage Marshalls, Fender Deluxe Reverb, and any vintage Fender with a bright switch.

Top Bottom