1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pedals with EL84 amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wildogs, May 15, 2011.

1. wildogs

wildogs Member

I've been trying a number of pedals for a boost for leads with an EL84 based amp. I'm new to the EL84 scene, and really like it for a lot of things. However, being able to kick it into a thicker lead tone would be nice. I've tried an Analogman tube screamer, SD9, COT, RC/AC Booster, and cannot wring out a totally satisfying lead tone. I haven't had this difficulty with any EL34, 6L6, 6V6 based amps.

It may be the nature of the beast, but if anyone has luck with something let me know. I should mention its a Vox clone type.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. Zero G

Zero G Member

I've had really good results with my Classic 30 using a stock Boss SD-1. Turn the gain all the way off and turn the volume up.

3. ChocoB

ChocoB Member

I liked what the Fulltone Fulldrive did for my C30.

4. Zero G

Zero G Member

Is that the Mosfet version?

5. TChen

TChen Member

i'll be the first to say it here, but im sure you'll hear it a lot more: CROWTHER HOTCAKE...

perfect match for EL84 amps. it can be real transparent if you want, or made to sound thicker like you say.

6. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

See you, and raise you. Double Hotcake.

It use it as low gain/high gain/fuzz/clean boost....my fave pedal

7. Xlch721

Xlch721 Member

Have you tried a Treble Booster/ Range Master clone ? Works very well with my 18 watt Marshall Clones. When I was first told about trying this I thought no way but works for me. Its a cheap easy project if you know how to solder about 15 to 25 dollars.

8. JRBain

JRBain Member

Similar story here. I love the sound of my Peavey Royal 8 with my SD-1. Preamp gain all the way up, pedal volume all the way up, gain at 8-9:00, tone at 8-10:00... Perfect. :aok

9. Prizefighter

Prizefighter Member

Big fan of DAM Red Rooster Booster and BJFe Dyna Red for el84 leads.

10. wildogs

wildogs Member

I have not tried any of these, but I'm ready to get started. Thanks for the suggestions.

11. small axe

small axe Member

i use a tim with my el84 based maz jr and it makes a nice sound that is driven....good luck with your hunt

12. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

Hotcake (or Double) or a RAT all sound great into my AC15HHW

13. twang

twang Member

+1 for the Tim, I use it with my Kingsley d30 (4-el84;s) alot. It's a bit redundant on this amp as the d-30 has gain tweaks to the moon and back, plus has it's own boost pedal. Still the Tim works well with this amp and adds another flavor, especially useful if I'm playing at lower volume levels. -t-

14. magnus02

magnus02 Member

keeley katana...

soulsonic fourbanger...

Tim...

These all worked very well for me... I'm clearly partial to boosts for dirt. All these are great for lead tones through my Goodsell Super 17... which is a sick amp by the way...

15. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i really dug the OCdv3 into el84, also the TIM and the 4banger and katana.... really anything :D

16. IRG

IRG Member

I'm using a SolidGoldFX SuperDrive into my AC15, with fantastic results. I haven't had any other dirt pedals sound so good with this amp. Very much an extension of the amp itself, with nice deep bass (can be dialed out too with a 3 way toggle switch), and either a small amount of gain, to full on whup ass. Lots of volume too, but usable for both home or stage use. Also, cleans up really well, making it super versatile. Guess that's why it's called the Superdrive :)

17. Championguitar

Championguitar Member

i say a boss sd-1 because its cheap and works

18. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

BJFE EGDM
    BJFE DRD
    Timmy
    Rat

19. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

The Barber Small Fry is worth checking out with EL84s.

20. Mick_Braun

Mick_Braun Silver Supporting Member

For solos, I boosted my Goodsell Super 17 at a live outdoor gig today with Dan's MSB. I used the new Barber Dual Unlimited pedal for various dirt tones, as well, which worked great with the Goodsell.