pedals with neg. and pos. and pedal Power 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Strat58, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi can I use the pedal power to power those neg. and pos. pedals ?
    If so how can I do that ?
    Thxx you for your help.
    Peace Strat58

2. Kilroy

Kilroy Member

There is a cable you can buy from Voodoo that switches the polarity.

See here for more info. I believe you have to call them on the phone to order.

http://www.voodoolab.com/cables.htm

3. justonwo

justonwo Member

If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's trivial to make your own. Just reverse the leads on one end of the plug and you're there.

4. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi okay thxx you for your help people.
    realy apriciate it.
    Peace Strat58

5. pgissi

pgissi Member

If you just reverse polarity and plug in your gonna pop a component.

You seem to be in need of a bipolar dc voltage supply which is not easily accomplished by just a polarity reversal which is just that, a polarity reversal. You can use 2 9v batteries for a +9/-9 VDC output in a pinch but if you need a Bipolar 12/18/24 vdc, 9volts batteries wont do, you'll need a Bipolar Supply.

To sum up what the PP2 adapters do-

you can derive 18v by using 2 9v outlets in series
    you can derive 24v by using 2 12v outlets in series
    you can reverse the polarity for some pedals where the Ring is Negative and the Tip is positive

From what I can tell, the PP2 only provides a unipolar +dc output voltage and here it is from their page with the word "single" meaning uinipolar-

http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm
    18V/24V – Using Custom Cables
    All of the outputs on the Pedal Power 2 Plus (and the original Pedal Power) are completely isolated allowing you to create different voltages. You can run effects like the current MXR Flanger by combining two 9V outputs to create a single 18V supply. By switching two outputs into 12V ACA mode, you can join them together to create a 24V output for powering numerous Electro-Harmonix stompboxes including the Deluxe Memory Man.

I know Craig Andertons book, Electronic Projects for Musicians has a schematic for a Bipolar DC Supply from Batteries and it uses a handful of components or search the web for someone who makes one.

Here is another version but this uses 1 pv battery and an IC where craigs uses 2 batteries, no ic and I delivers more current-
    http://www.geofex.com/circuits/+9_to_-9.htm

6. pgissi

pgissi Member

7. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

The PP's outputs are isolated. You should be able to run the positive on one output by itself and be fine. Leave the negatives on the other outputs. Just don't combine them, or daisy chain positive and negative together on the same output. No special cables are required to do it like this.

8. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Correct! My PP2+ even came with the reversed cables as well as the normal.

edit: didn't notice full post, you do need a special cable to run positive center effects which can be done on one outlet while another seperate/isolated can run negative center.

9. pgissi

pgissi Member

The quote above is describing a bipolar supply, something found on some older pedals.

The instructions above will not derive a bipolar output voltage only the +9v and 0 volts (ground).

Reversed polarity is just a physical description referring to the dc power in jack, the polarity of the contacts are swapped from what you normally see.

If the question is refering to a polarity reversal, then it wasn't clear, seems to indicate a + and - voltage is needed when reading it. If a positive and negative voltage is needed, the dc power jack would have 3 contacts or there could possibly be 2 dc power in jack, 1 for + and the other for - with them sharing the ground wired to the chassis.

PP2 will only deliver +volts and a ground reference. You may get some sound out of low power device with just the +VDC and Ground, but it will not sound as intended.

A Bipolar supply will deliver a positive and negative linear regulated DC voltage with a ground reference @ 0 volts between these outputs.

If you need a polarity reversal then please excuse, dont want to see you fry something

10. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I don't believe he is looking for a bi-polar power supply, just something to run postive center effects like PNP Fuzz Faces and such along with negative center effects like most other standard pedals.

From Voodoo Lab:
    5.5mm x 2.1mm “White” Barrel – Reverse Polarity (straight)
    Designed for reverse polarity powered units like the JangleBox, Fulltone SoulBender, '69, and Octafuzz. Also powers the Moogerfooger MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Modulator, MF-103 Phaser, and DMC/Voodoo Lab Cab-Tone.
    PPREV: $3.50 - Approximately 21” long, end-to-end.