Pedals with old 65 Fender Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thelionsden, Dec 12, 2005.

1. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Well, after going through a pile of amps du jour, I recently traded a buddy for an old 65 Deluxe and had Michael Purkhiser dial it in, remove a mod or two and such and I put a Blue in it and it is one amazing amp. I can't play very loud usually so I am having pretty good success with just the amp set on two which is a great clean tone and I have been using a FD2 and an Eternity , Keeley Comp...Just wondering what were your fave pedals for use with a Deluxe amp...not limiting it to drives..Comps..Fuzz, Distortion..all good suggestions are welcome! Hey, even bad suggestions are welcome...
    :p

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I dont have a old 65 Deluxe reverb but do have the 65 Deluxe Reverb RI but to make it more compatable with pedals I removed the Bright cap installed all JJ tubes except a 12AX7EH in V2, here is my pedalboard that I use with the 65 DRRI and also a 59 Bassman RI!

The Barber pedals work great with both my amps!
    [​IMG]

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I've got a '65 as well. Best I have found into it is a Timmy followed by a Diamond Compressor to round out the tone a bit. Sounds wonderful cranked or at home levels! Next I'm gonna try a Scumback speaker in it, I've been thru quite a few speakers and settled on an Eminence Texas Heat, but after putting a Scumback into my Bruno I'm almost certain the right Scumback into this DR will be glorious!

4. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

I'll bet the Scumback will be great. Have you tried a blue? It really is an awesome combination...obviously if you wind it up you might blow it, but it will sound heavenly before you get there! :) I have a Timmy but I haven't really tried it with the Deluxe much. How do you use it with the Dlx and for what level of drive/crunch? What is this diamond comp?

5. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

I had Purkhiser put a brite switch in the second input hole, so the brite cap is out completely when switched off, but we put a cap in that is even a little briter so if I want clean sparkle for a whole tune, I can flip the switch and it is even a little more sparkly than usual. this cap value can of courese be changed to taste...def needs to be off for overdrives and such tho , I agree...

6. fast ricky love

I have not tried a Blue, came close to going for a Red Fang (Eminence's version of a Blue) but got sidetracked by this whole Scumback thing...

I'm not a purist in terms of keeping the DR's tone faithful to what folks think a DR should sound like, so I'm psyched for the Scumback.

Anyway! As far as the Timmy goes, I've got mine set so I tame a bit of treble (the Timmy can be pretty bright too). Settings: Bass - 3 o'clock, Treble - 2 o'clock, Volume - Noon, Gain - 1:30.

The Diamond Compressor adds a touch of compression and because it has an 'EQ' knob, I tailor the overall tone that way too. I suspect with the nice breakup of a Scumback, I might not need the compressor at that point, but with the Texas Heat speaker, it doesn't break up very early so the compressor adds that bit of stickiness to the notes... hope that makes sense!

7. Don L

Don L Member

Just about every pedal I threw at my '66 DR sounded great. My current fav OD pedals with it are MI Audio Blue Boy and old FD2.

8. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

If you get a chance I highly recommend it. I stumbled on it by accident a while back when I borrowed this amp for one gig and used an open back extension cab with a blue in it. Then when getting Purkhiser to work on it, he agreed that a blue is his favorite in the small wattage Fenders..My other friend had his old princeton serviced at the same time as me and put a blue in that as well and it is also amazing in there. I have some original Black back G12H30 with 444 bass cones which is probably the model Scumback clone you would want with open back but I haven't popped one in the Deluxe yet so I can't say but knowing those speakers pretty well, as awesome as they are, I think it would be hard to beat the blue. Again, of course there are power handling issues, and if you need maximum volume from your Deluxe the Blue is probably not the best choice, but you can get the blue to sing in there at a nice volume and the clean is astounding....

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I had a '65 bfdr for awhile and it loved pedals. The FDII and TC Jauernig DGTM were my favorite drive pedals with it.

10. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

BTW thanks for the suggestions.. I think I would like to check out the Diamond ...on another thread a guy said the Barber tonepress unseated it though due to its ability to blend the uncompressed signal back in..Have you tried a Barber? How much is a Diamond? I know I could look this up, but I am just making conversation.. :p

11. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Here is a new post re: what Mitch Colby at Vox has to say about Blue power handling: From Mitch Colby at Vox:

"The Vox Blue up until a couple of months ago was identical to the
    Celestion Blue. Celestion is now making the Vox blue at their factory in
    China. The Celestion Blue is still made in the UK. Based on history and
    our testing, the ones coming out of China are more consistent and sound
    more like Vintage Blues than the ones made in the UK. I know it's hard
    to believe but it's true.

They are underrated. I have seen vintage Blues that were used in Fender
    Twin Reverbs for years without blowing although I wouldn't recommend it.
    I have personally bought vintage AC30s with original unreconed Blues.

They are rated at 15 watts but can probably handle more like 20 with a
    distorted signal and somewhat more with a clean signal.

They are expensive and the low failure rate is a good thing. If they
    were blowing all the time we would probably have to change to another
    speaker option."

Unquote...Here is the thread if anyone cares to check it out..
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=113501&goto=newpost

12. fast ricky love

Re: the Barber Tone Press, I have not had a chance to try it. Sounds like it would be a nice unit - either that or the Diamond would be my choice...

And as far as the Blue goes... I feel the winds of GAS making their way to me! Nice breakup on that speaker? Anyone have a link to the China-made speaker to buy? I will say tho' that I do wind up that amp to @ 9 many times. I wonder if the Red Fang can handle power a bit better...?

13. fast ricky love

Sorry, one other thought... anyone compare a Blue to a G12H30 in this amp?

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've got a 64 Deluxe and settled on a Emi. Cannabis Rex after trying a boatload of speakers...

the Rex just smooths out the top end and tightens up the bass and gives the most headroom I've had out of my Deluxe....I can actually crank my amp to ten without flab...overdrive tones are smooth and creamy...

For pedals I like a BJF Honeybee, Timmy, Menatone Foxy Brown, MI Audio Blues Pro, Pro Analog Powerdrive and a Klon ain't half bad either...

Chow,
    Seegs

15. fast ricky love

Yes, I've heard many happy campers after using a C Rex in their DR... So many choices! The breakin in brutal on that speaker tho', huh? Did you happen to compare the C Rex to a Blue or G12H30 Seegs?

Sorry for the hijack! Hope it isn't too irrelevant...

16. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

As to the Mitch Colby quotes on the power handling of the Blue I am pretty sure he is speaking of the Blue in general being able to take more power than it is rated at and not just the Chinese model, although he did offer some positive comments re the Chinese model specifically.

17. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

But no Blue? :jo :D Just kidding..I am sure it is not for every application, specially if you are cranking it to ten!

Had to bring up that Honeybee! I've been thinkin about one of those...

18. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Here ya go Ricky! You NEED this..and already broken in too! Thats a big plus!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=118290

(I am SUCH an ENABLER!) :angel

19. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I have a 64 deluxe reverb, best amp I have ever had!! Amazing.
    I find this amp takes pedals better than other amps I've had in the past.
    I've been using my timmy through it with the drive around 12 - 1:00. My other pedals sound great through it and of course the Clay Jones OD is sick through it as well. I dont use a compresser as I like the open organic tone I get through it as is.

RC

20. fast ricky love

Nice one lionsden! :) I'm nearly there... so is it really that much better than a G12H30? I think a G12H30 would be a bit too bright in a DR to my ear... I'm so jazzed about how much better the Scumback is to the G12H30 that I wonder if the appropriate Scumback is still the move? (Jim recommended his SA12-LHDC...)