Pedals You Thought Were On Another Level

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SweetClyde99, Jan 17, 2019.

1. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

I think most of us on this forum have tried tons of pedals that fall under the same category to try to find the “best” one. Granted, that mostly boils down to preference, but some pedals just seem to stand above the rest. What’re yours?

For example, I’ve had some good sounding dirt pedals come through the door, but nothing has booted out my Blackstar HT Dual running into a lowish-volume amp set clean. A Kingsley Jester might or maybe a Victory Kraken pre into the FX loop, but those are both more than I’ll be spending on a dirt pedal in the foreseeable future.

BerkeleyJones, rambleon and dshobe like this.
  2. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I found out about Tim, and Timmy pedals reading here, and bought a Tim.

Some effects builder from Connecticut came on and offered an "Id" pedal, which I also bought here. It is one of the best low-gain saturation pedals I have ever heard, and stacks really well.

The advice I get here is so good, that if I decide to buy a pedal, I have yet to be disappointed.

Thank you one and all. :)

Wolfboy1, krazybaka, TravisE and 11 others like this.
  3. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

I think the Fulldrive 2 MOSFET is on another level. I've tried replacing it but it's 15% better than anything I've ever tried.

4. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

Kingsley drive pedals
    Cali76CD

The dirt and compressor searches are over with those 2.

5. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

6. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

I have been a huge fan of the FD2 Mosfet. Its been my go to OD for 7 years. And nothing has been able to touch it.
    Until now!
    I just got the new FD2 ver. 2. It might actually be better. Hard to say cause im still in the honeymoon period, but hot damn it sounds amazing. Highly recommended.

Homerunjack likes this.
  7. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Fulltone Fulldrive (pre-mostfet, 3way switch) - it sounds better than any other overdrive/boost. I'm using it in comp cut mode currently, but the other modes are great as well. I've even tried to build/mod pedals to compete - just can't quite dethrone it.

Fireball XL5 and p.j. like this.
  8. JimHalinda

JimHalinda Member

Ethos Overdrive TLE. To my ears, matched what I was getting from the MKIIC channel of my Boogie Mark V. And it was about 80 pounds lighter, so I sold the Boogie!

I do find it just as hard to dial in the drive channel as the Boogie was, though.

The only thing I'm tempted to do is send it back to Customtones for the HRM mod.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  9. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

All Source Audio gear.

They are making pedals with Rack power in standard MXR sized cases. Phenomenal sound quality and expansion capability. Things like internal stacking capability in their Fuzz / overdrive pedals (Kingmaker, LA Lady, Aftershock), not to mention the ability for sound sharing within pedal families really make them a stand out IMHO.

To pick one, the LA Lady is just mindblowing when it comes to capability.

10. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I recently had my name come up on the Kingsley wait list and ordered a Page and a Jester. Fantastic pedals, but soon after I got a String Theory EFX KE/64. The KE/64 is a dead simple jfet based OD that just does something special to the tone. Freaking love it!

11. Dig ?

Dig ? Member

I went on a vibe pedal hunt and tried.. many, in the $199 range. Then i ponied up way more for a roger mayer voodoo vibe tc and it is indeed “next level”. Its so good i bought the big box version for buku $$ and its on an even higher level. Its nice when you really get what you pay for

12. Moniker

Moniker Guitarchitect Supporting Member

Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe

Ive owned 75+ fuzz pedals in the last decade.. This one just does it, all the time, every time

13. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

Hologram Dream Sequence. Truly unique.

14. Atrain_dlp

Atrain_dlp Member

For me it’s been the Lovepedal Amp Eleven. I remember on one of the TPS shows Mick says something like “that thing always sounds great” when he plays it. That’s pretty much how I feel every time I hit the button.

15. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Member

Moogerfooger: MF-103 Phaser and MF-108M ClusterFlux
    Fairfield Circuitry: Randy's Revenge Ring Mod and Meet Maude Delay

16. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Ibanez TS808 - it's such a boring pedal but it just shines in front of a blackface amp. I've tried many other pedals looking for the infamous "one more step above" but I always come back to it. This realisation has kept me from buying overdrive pedals for quite a while now.

xcc, Vibrolucky, Strumlord and 9 others like this.
  17. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Source Audio Ventris, nails everything I want in a verb. Then doubles that.

David Rolo Twin Peaks V4 - Nails everything I want in a trem.

Keeley Modded Frankenscreamer - Had many TS's over the years, including modded ones. This particular one is the best sounding one I've ever had.

AxeFX 3 - I've bonded with pretty much everything on the Axe 3. It's a pleasure to play daily.

Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge - I've been through countless ring mods. I prefer the clean sound of RR. Not to mention the tremolo you get out of it is gorgeous. Hasn't been beat.

18. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Totally agree. I have been through many vibes, but I found the RM TC on another level.

Dig ? likes this.
  19. 850Special

850Special Member

EQD Pyramids. I was on the hunt for a phaser replacement, and was considering Boss chorus, Boss dimension, and all sorts of vibes and faux Leslies. For me, the Pyramids does it all and then some. I find new settings I like every time I plug in. And in stereo, woah!

20. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

There are definitely some pedals that I think are in a league of their own, and nothing else has compared (and there have been A LOT of comparisons). These come to mind:

Drybell Unit67
    Spaceman Mercury 4
    JHS Morning Glory v4
    Deep Trip Hellbender
    EHX Memory Man Deluxe
    Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe
    Catalinbread Talisman
    Way Huge Russian Pickle
    Way Huge Ringworm
    Mad Professor Little Green Wonder