Pedals you thought were the be all and end all, but didn’t last on your board

fjrabon

What pedals have you owned that you were just flat out blown away with, you thought they’d be “forever staples” on your board, but didn’t end up lasting long on your board. For me:

Greer SupaCobra. I hate to say this one, because I absolutely adore this pedal. But it made me realize what I wanted was a Marshall sound. So I bought a Friedman. And that kind of made the SupaCobra redundant. I still have the SupaCobra. And if I needed to do a gig with one overdrive and a Princeton reverb, I’d probably grab it.

Fulldrive 2 Mosfet. I broke the switch, called, somehow managed to get ahold of Mike fuller. Had him cuss me out. Vowed to never own another Fulltone pedal. (This was well before the most recent controversy)

Greer Lamplighter. Still love it. I just don’t need a compressor on my current board. It’s still my favorite comp.

Walrus Monument. Still my favorite standalone trem. But between the Keeley hydra and Wampler terraform I couldn’t justify a standalone trem.

EHX Lester G: it’s a big pedal and was made redundant by the terraform as well. I do occasionally miss its ability to control speed with an expression pedal, which the terraform can’t exactly do (inexplicably). Was the first non-trem modulation pedal I truly loved.

EHX/JHS Quadra POG. Was better able to get the tones I truly wanted out of the hologram infinite jets and Mythos Argo. But this thing was the cornerstone of my board for a brief period.

Wampler faux tape echo: Keeley Eccos just flat out beat it. I thought it would be my forever delay. Still have it on my mini board. But it was a flat out shocking revelation when I realized I preferred the Eccos (which I’d originally bought for a mini board).

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
Skreddy Mayo...oh, back in the day this was the bees knees for Pumpkins fuzz, and by all means it is/was a great pedal. But flash bqkc to another time...and that Violet Ram's Head based little ol' box turned out to be well, good but wrong? I think the Mayonnaise was a Triangle clone and the Mayo was a Violet Ram's Head...the answer was OP Amp, and everybody was dead wrong for like...all of the 90s/2000s/first half of the 2010s with that one.

But anyway...I snagged mine for like $160 new and sold it for $325 I think. I grabbed a Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie over a decade ago and have since never looked back...just huge and crushing fuzz tones beyond any muff. Nice pedal, but I just found something that did what I wanted a good deal better, plus the internet hype was full steam ahead on that one...Skreddy hype was unreal, but it's not like it wasn't deserved especially for the time.

fjrabon

Mine was a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe, I returned the pedal after less than one month.
Yeah, I loved my tumnus until I got into marshalls. And I know lots of people love them with marshalls. But since moving to marshalls I’ve never liked any version of a Klone.

for a while the Tumnus and euphoria were my go to OF setup. Right after I got rid of the fulldrive.

I still have my euphoria and it’s a great Swiss Army knife. But I usually will have it on for a week or so before I find something that does whatever I’m using it for a tiny bit better.

fjrabon

Analogman Sunlion...somehow we just fell out of love pretty early on. Maybe it is because I play Gibsons mostly. :confused:
Yeah, I have a custom built fuzz face that I adore. But it sits on my single coils board. And I quit the band that I used to play a tele and strat in. In my current band I’m almost 100% humbuckers. So it only sees action when I’m either recording or noodling around. Maybe jam sessions will start up again soon and I can take it to that. As tele -> smaller single coil board -> Princeton reverb is my preferred jam session board.

dancehall

For a long time the Boss DC-2 was my favorite pedal. Then I figured out I could get my Polymoon to do a similar but more hi-fi sound, so the DC-2 became redundant. My second favorite pedal was a Menatone KOTB which I loved for my base OD tone into a clean amp. But then I got a Fillmore 25 so I don’t feel I need any kind of amp-like drive pedal anymore.

Scomo

I'm still on the Fence about my 'Arcades' pedal, it's really noisy and is hard to use live as boosting it introduces noise. It's more of a sit in the bedroom type pedal.

stargazer747

There were plenty thru recent years, in fact my GASing and obsession over boutique brands I thought was just that. But then after a brief moment of enlightenment, I decided they were nothing more than hyped up exaggerated clones with fancy artwork, funky names and filled with features you’ll never use of the classic brands; MXR, BOSS, Ibanez, Electro-Harmonix, TC Electronic, & DOD.

So I went full circle and have come home to the ones that started it all used by my guitar heroes on iconic recordings thru music history. Much happier now.

Last edited:

Rob303

Cornerstone Gladio - I loved my Dumbloid so much more for that sound.
Belle Epoch Deluxe - I couldn't get it to tastefully set behind my dry signal (AD900 ftw)

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
Timmy. Liked it until I used it at band practice a few weeks in a row and I was wondering why my tone was so thin and wouldn't cut through. Switched back to the RC Booster and my tone was back again. I think the TImmy isn't made for bf fenders.
you think correctly :)

it gets used that way alot but was designed with marshall in mind
its a solid clean boost with a fender though

Gary Ladd

Tone is in the head
Silver Supporting Member
Skreddy Mayo...oh, back in the day this was the bees knees for Pumpkins fuzz, and by all means it is/was a great pedal. But flash bqkc to another time...and that Violet Ram's Head based little ol' box turned out to be well, good but wrong? I think the Mayonnaise was a Triangle clone and the Mayo was a Violet Ram's Head...the answer was OP Amp, and everybody was dead wrong for like...all of the 90s/2000s/first half of the 2010s with that one.

But anyway...I snagged mine for like $160 new and sold it for $325 I think. I grabbed a Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie over a decade ago and have since never looked back...just huge and crushing fuzz tones beyond any muff. Nice pedal, but I just found something that did what I wanted a good deal better, plus the internet hype was full steam ahead on that one...Skreddy hype was unreal, but it's not like it wasn't deserved especially for the time.
The Mayo is a Triangle Muff clone, a very bad a$$ uniquely voiced one as well ;)

Some of us knew 20+ years ago that the Pumpkins muff was Opamp, which is why I picked up a EHX v5 Muff in 2004 ~ I still have my OG Mayo w/mids switch, I use it in the studio only for layering mixes as it can add a truly unique harmonic richness & focus that my other muffs can't...

I generally don't consider any pedal The Be All & End All, they're just tools, but I generally don't put $300+ gems on pedal boards for live use (I use clones for that) ~ The money just adds up too fast to risk it :roll

Trending Topics