Pedals you were initially thrilled with, then quickly got sick of?

oh you really bunched up my day with TWO Splitters and TWO 4Mixers!!!!!- my eyes are having a hard time... trying to figure it out.... but.... huuuh?..... lolol...

"RRRRUCY!!!! You got splainin to doooo!!!!!"

Three mixers actually, but the first is just so I can speed up swapping between guitar, bass, and keys during fading-layer looping.

The second is basically the genre mix, so for instance I crank up the stingray>phaser>spring-verb for more surf sound.

The third is about clean, clean psychedelic, or amp distortion of the genre mix, plus vocals level.

All of it goes through a through-zero-flanger for atmospheric harmonics balancing.

One amp is crystal clean, the other has it's own dirt chain mostly geared toward a cavernous clean deep shattered-stained-glass edge-of-breakup harmonic saturation, Gibson GA-40 style. The air sounds more fringey electrified when they can play off each other.

Yeah, well, here's my current line-up. I can just blend mix to go more surf, techno, country-bluegrass, or psychedelic. I manage to get a lot of sounds like fuzz without actually having a pedal designed for such a thing. The real work ahead is in scripted midi control so I can morph between atmospheres between chords with fewer expression pedals. Sometimes it's all on, sometimes it's more like 50% or no pedals at all.

View attachment 586211

Here are a couple more extreme examples:

and something more peaceful and primarily amp

I can’t even speak to this, except KMAGYOYO.

KBN

Silver Supporting Member
Pigtronix Fat. I liked the sound, but quickly grew to hate the feel.

Multicellular

You've got to be alone in that sentiment.
Even with color coding controls, creating intermediary controls, template standardizing everything like stereo gain, putting nothing but controllers on the first couple of pages - I still feel like I need to dig out an eight page routing blueprint to make a tweak to any patch I haven't touched in awhile.

Mine has been waiting for repairs for a long time, but I have a feeling I may have to give up on some patches now simply because it would take a couple hours at this point to reverse engineer how the patch was supposed to be operated.

I have created some really cool patches, like slide-rate/chord-spread sensitive ring mod, spinning plate LFO, expression wavefolding shape, scale-drift arpeggiation accompaniment, a percussion rhythm to waveform pitch-shifter, and a pythagorean ratio synth with sliders for numerator/denominator exponents of primes.
Last I was working on a 5x8 pixel frame animation drawing app for midi>dmx RGB-LED installation control with multi-pitch remote-control cassette-modem storage.

I know right? I thought I'd probably be unhappy with it for similar reasons. But I got it at a local place with a very easy return policy.

And like you, it would seem, I have some exotic tastes in what I want to be able to do so there aren't a sea of options. I just have a very simple organizational approach
  • Signals flow left to right
  • Audio on top
  • CV on bottom
    • and if those need more room within a 'page per function,' they spill over onto the next page
  • label pages by purpose
Of course, that doesn't work for every patch as some things get less linear, but I name a page accordingly.

I can't use the colors for organization unfortunately as I have rather acute Chromesthesia. Colors become fuzzy depending on what I'm hearing and they bug me if they aren't roughly in key.

Last edited:

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
Strymon Volante.
Sounds good.
But so many players go on and on in the worship of tape delays, and I eventually realized I just don’t have a need for anything elaborate in that field. They’re cool if you really feature delay in your tone/songwriting, but I only occasionally want it as an accent. Traded back to the much more versatile Boss DD-200, and if/when I record, no one would ever know the difference.

I know right? I thought I'd probably be unhappy with it for similar reasons. But I got it at a local place with a very easy return policy.

And like you, it would seem, I have some exotic tastes in what I want to be able to do so there aren't a sea of options. I just have a very simple organizational approach
  • Signals flow left to right
  • Audio on top
  • CV on bottom
    • and if those need more room within a 'page per function,' they spill over onto the next page
  • label pages by purpose
Of course, that doesn't work for every patch as some things get less linear, but I name a page accordingly.

I can't use the colors for organization unfortunately as I have rather acute Chromesthesia. Colors become fuzzy depending on what I'm hearing and they bug me if they aren't roughly in key.

My system was similar. I need to replace the grid buttons but the chassis screw heads ground out. Mostly I haven't touched it because I know what a rabbit hole I left behind and have a huge priority ahead.

I appreciated the color update but still would have preferred rgb over decimal spectrum values.

I spent a decade designing something similar, but after becoming familiar with their user base realized my product would have been way too complex for even its fans. Mine was like a hybrid of Zoia and a tree space of xml/lisp/forth data/ops with expert system agents traversing the n-dimensional tree. The main thing mine would have had though which Zoia lacks is waveform segment based programming.

The main reason I even got it was the ring-mod module with carrier and modulator inputs. It still wasn't enough to isolate a single side-band like the ring-thing can do though, that and an ancient eventide rack.

Multicellular

My system was similar. I need to replace the grid buttons but the chassis screw heads ground out. Mostly I haven't touched it because I know what a rabbit hole I left behind and have a huge priority ahead.

I appreciated the color update but still would have preferred rgb over decimal spectrum values.

I spent a decade designing something similar, but after becoming familiar with their user base realized my product would have been way too complex for even its fans. Mine was like a hybrid of Zoia and a tree space of xml/lisp/forth data/ops with expert system agents traversing the n-dimensional tree. The main thing mine would have had though which Zoia lacks is waveform segment based programming.

The main reason I even got it was the ring-mod module with carrier and modulator inputs. It still wasn't enough to isolate a single side-band like the ring-thing can do though, that and an ancient eventide rack.

Yes, I don't follow all of that.

I think the thing that made the learning curve accessible to me on the Zoia was how much it tracks conventions in Eurorack. Before the pandemic sent me on a bit of a Eurorack odyssey, I wouldn't have gone there.

There's probably some useful thing to be said for that as an R&D principle, but I don't know that jargon. As an educator of sorts, I see how it lowers the learning curve for me in a Bloom's taxonomy sense.

Hey, I just made a patch where I was ring modulating my low notes as a carrier and high notes (bass two handed tapping) as the input through band splitting. Way more subtle that a normal ring mod, but has a nice 'wth is that effect?' sound to it.

Wampler Terraform.
I played it for a long time and thougth it sounded great. Then some day I realised it did something weird to my overdrives.
I couldnt put to words what it was & I sold it to a guy I know after that.

After some time he told me that he experienced the same thing & he took it to a dude to inspect it. (Not that there were anything wrong with the pedal itself but he wanted to know what caused it.)

So the dude figured that the pedal actually Phase inverted the whole signal orso causing the other pedals to sound really bad.

Thats atleast what he told me

Yes, I don't follow all of that.

I think the thing that made the learning curve accessible to me on the Zoia was how much it tracks conventions in Eurorack. Before the pandemic sent me on a bit of a Eurorack odyssey, I wouldn't have gone there.

There's probably some useful thing to be said for that as an R&D principle, but I don't know that jargon. As an educator of sorts, I see how it lowers the learning curve for me in a Bloom's taxonomy sense.

Hey, I just made a patch where I was ring modulating my low notes as a carrier and high notes (bass two handed tapping) as the input through band splitting. Way more subtle that a normal ring mod, but has a nice 'wth is that effect?' sound to it.

Yep, that's what I meant by a chord-spread ring-mod. The other, a slide-rate ring-mod, I know my basic thought was simply a signal delay between carrier and modulator, and yet I'm sure I ended up doing a pitch tracker to monitor rate of bending for some reason anyhow. I was probably using a VCO as one of the inputs on that one.

These past two years would have been a most excellent time for learning Zoia.

I found it way more addictive than any other virtual modular platform, probably because of all the 0-1 analog math primitives. I had wished it had some more though to ease things like traversing lookup tables. I'm glad I left their forum. Endless bickering with nothing new to ever learn. Oh, and everyone defending their top-dog guru who interpreted my every post of general public advice as a personal undermining attack against him. Really he wasn't on my mind at all except that he regularly brought up some inspiring topic to discourse. Come to think of it I was banned or I may never have escaped. Everyone was there routing for updates, and years later probably still are. It was clear to me that the development cycle was largely over. I'm glad I pushed for a crucial midi update before I left, I forget which now, pitchbend or aftertouch. That and the better rainbow were just what i wanted, as I knew anything more would constitute an overhaul that would have to wait for the next generation.

One of my cool patches was a virtual lap-steel with pluck buttons and a pair of +/- slider controls for the end-points of the slide. However, like so many patches, it's one of those things which shows off how Zoia is more like a kid alone in their room building an amusement park with tinkertoys, which often doesn't work out all that practical for live performance.

Without wave-segment slope-parsing calculus and construction, I often found it's utility for prototyping novel pedals just out of reach. Good for fresh hybrid control permutations of old processes, not good for creating new processes.
My Prunes and Custard waveshaper was like dissecting frogs with a baseball bat, amazing it worked. Basically I had to pitch-track then use expression on a micro-delay to sync waveforms by ear for add/sub synthesis.

So you recently made a patch? Yay! It's tempting to go back in, but I do recall that Zoia had taken over my life last I departed from it, my being kind of OCD, and I'm trying to move to mermaid luau paragliding land while I'm still gymnastic and can fake 28 zeal still.

Let me know what you find absent. I haven't given up on creating a competitor.
My hardware model is a multi-channel strip buss (like an olympic track) for slipping in a stack of additional processor cards, like Zoia pages, with the last card outputting back to the first, modeled after the toroidal octopus brain and recycling classical sitar elements. Kind of the AI potential version of modular synth, but simple conventional modular routing is still an option.

I have a connection between color and sound myself. I designed an interval scale system with color assignments and likewise was working on a pitch parsing light-show manager in Zoia.
Per chance do you get into high-frequency resolution perception when you get deep into your music? I find that sometimes when I have the sensitivity for ring-mod/comb-filter stuff that I can also see subliminal frames in video and rgb leds become strobe lights of alternating colors.

Last edited:

Dirty Strings

Digitech Dirty Robot. It was pretty awesome the first couple of days, then it got boring and pretty useless--for me.

Came in here to say Dirty Robot. It seemed so cool but then the excitement turned to ugh meh pretty quickly. Even holding down the switch to get the warble sound got old. Perhaps I'm just not a synth pedals person.

Wah wah pedal, all brands and types. It was like how cool? Than it was like yeh…. This is boring. And now I gotta cramp in my leg! Wah wah pedals= just say No!

Booo. About a month ago I hooked up my wah (early '90s Crybaby) for the first time in many years and immediately thought "oh wow this thing is a blast." My favorite drive pedal to use behind it is my modded DS-1. I use wah way too much now when playing alone.

Came in here to say Dirty Robot. It seemed so cool but then the excitement turned to ugh meh pretty quickly. Even holding down the switch to get the warble sound got old. Perhaps I'm just not a synth pedals person.

Booo. About a month ago I hooked up my wah (early '90s Crybaby) for the first time in many years and immediately thought "oh wow this thing is a blast." My favorite drive pedal to use behind it is my modded DS-1. I use wah way too much now when playing alone.

Yeah, 'a month ago'. It hadn't occurred to me that tire of 'quickly' was a relative term.

Dirty Strings

Yeah, 'a month ago'. It hadn't occurred to me that tire of 'quickly' was a relative term.
My Dirty Robot comment was my contribution to this thread topic actually, not really the wah. That was more of a comment since @Riffi-Rai mentioned he didn't like wah and I was just re-discovering how fun it is. If I get bored with it soon though I can add it to the thrilled and quickly sick of list though I guess.

MothAttack

Fortunately I don't have any to list (maybe my EHX Ravish Sitar, but I think it will have permanent occasional use). However I have had a few open tabs of YouTube demos that i got sick of before even buying a pedal (my way to save money).

Anyhow I see the potential risk, and with some 80 pedals on my wish list, like the Meris Hedra, OBNE Sunlight, Saturn VI, Barnyard Jr, OHM, and Clubber Lang, I'm thinking that other people's 'seemed like a good idea at the time' lists might help me cull down the options.
Bell Epoch Deluxe. Replaced it with the DIG. OCD is next on my chopping block.

Buddhist#6

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
My favorite drive pedal to use behind it is my modded DS-1. I use wah way too much now when playing alone.
Interesting! My favorite dirt is a stock (vintage MIJ, I have 2 a 1980 long dash silver screw, and a 1992 made in Taiwan which has the same circuit as the Japan one, they made a chip change in 1994.)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom