Pedals you wish you'd bought in the beginning

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintage66, Feb 15, 2012.

1. vintage66

vintage66 Member

When I started out on electric, I got a Crate amp-the old pine box original one and didn't even know how to use the gain knob-I played it totally clean for years. When I figured it out, it still sounded like crap. I remember seeing TS-808's at the store where I bought it-if they'd been smart they'd have shown me what one sounded like and I would have probably bought it (I was taking lessons there). I wish they'd sold me one. It would have helped me tremendously getting a better tone and hopefully I'd have hung on to it and had a highly collectible one owner pedal.
    What pedals do you remember sitting in the case that you wish you'd bought?

2. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

All the Klon's I could get my hands on. Maybe I would have kept one.

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

ps, I'm not talking about stocking up on Klons and selling them now on ebay.:mmm

4. FAC

FAC Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks "crappy ss amp in funky pine box" when I hear "Crate" (I am aware that they may have moved beyond this, but old impressions die hard...).

5. Release

Release Member

I had a TS-808 and an old MXR Distortion+ in the very early 80's that I used with a Fender Bassman head. I honestly have no idea what happened to any of that gear. I know I couldn't play Sabbath, Priest, Maiden etc. on it so I must have traded it all in for something that probably sounded pretty bad but made me happier. Would have suited my style well these days if I would have held onto it.

EDIT:
    Yup, totally read the question wrong. Sorry! LOL!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Funny, I went back to edit my post about Klons and one got in before I got a chance.:rotflmao

7. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Some actually do sound really good-the Vintage Club series, but the build quality, um, let's keep this positive..

8. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

I wish I would've started out with a Timmy and a Nova delay. Those two have been foundational for my tone since I got them. In fact, tonight I'm just using a Turbo Tuner, Timmy, SHO, and the Nova.

EDIT: uhh, read the question wrong too...oh well

9. dascher

dascher Member

I started with a Crate amp also, it was a little bit bigger though. A TS808 still wouldnt have made it sound much better :bonk

I would have started with a tube amp, forget pedals. Never realized how big of a difference there was in sound between ss and tube. Pedals arent as important overall in my opinion

10. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

The Monsterpiece STUD. It is my always on pedal and was the answer to what i was looking for in an OD pedal after trying many others.

11. vintage66

vintage66 Member

You're probably right but at least I'd have a nice pedal-the amp's long gone. I guess a Jmp 50 watt combo from that era would be even better.

12. cheameup

cheameup Member

honestly PP2+.

spend so many years dealing with crappy power supplies

13. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

klon(s), echoplex... anything I could turn mad money on now...

14. telecasting

telecasting Member

I'm glad I got over the stage of 'needing' effects, and even though my tone wasn't great, the best thing that happened to me was learning to play to an amps strength and valuing it's base tone.

I had a Marshall MG30 that I hardly used and (horrible to think now) I used a boss me50 straight into the PA for a while. I decided one day to only play the amp as I was getting tired of having to listen to the crappiest headphone mix ever (all this is at a church btw) and I brought along the MG30 and insisted to be miked, dialed in the smallest hint of drive and a bit of onboard delay and found I sounded so much better than the programmed I had set on the boss me50. I soon after went to Uni and played acoustic for 18 months, got back into electric and bought a proper amp so that I would always be able to have a good base tone.

15. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Wait, you can still get those right? I don't see a problem other than $$.
    I guess I could get an original TS808, but there's not only the $$, which is a big deterent, but making sure it's authentic and not a reissue, works like it should, etc.

16. joe_k

joe_k Member

why doesn't anyone read the opening post to get what is going on here?

17. 10strings

10strings Member

Tc Electronic VPD1, Diamond Compressor, Telonics Volume Pedal, Octron, SDD-3kp, El Cap

18. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Yep. I misunderstood the OP. :jo

19. npfrs

npfrs Member

:agree

20. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

Tonebender MKI

There was a stupid amount of fuzz I purchased prior to realizing that was the circuit I was looking for.

Ghost Effects and Fuzzfaceless !! :boxer