Pedals you would like to mod

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by forum_crawler, Sep 25, 2008.

1. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Hey there, I have two pedals that I want to mod, and another I will want to mod once I get it :stir.

Boss DS-1 (bought used for $35). I want to try the Keeley ASE & Ultra mod, but I would like to get a more hotrodded Marshall sound out of it.

Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus (bought new $$$$ :cry:). I definitely want to try and do a volume mod. The pedal does get a bit of a volume boost when it is engaged and it can be annoying sometimes.

Boos SD-1 (want to get used, or maybe even new). I want to buy it and do a Keeley 5 star mod to it. From the samples I have heard the pedal sounds awesome!

I have never modded pedals before so this would be my first try :worried, and would like to get some pointers on how to do it myself, or if anybody knows someone in Canada that can do it that would be sweet!

Does anybody have any pedals they would like to mod? Why?

2. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

I would recommend Brian Wampler's book about modding effects. I kinda got into it backwards- I started out building my own A/B and loopers boxes, and then I got curious about building a circuit that actually affects the signal, so I built quite a few fuzzes and overdrives. Then I got into modding stuff I had laying around. Actually, to me it's sometimes a little "easier" mentally to alter something existing than to build a handwired circuit (and house it) from scratch- there's a LOT of thought and planning involved in doing that right.

I recommend doing it- it's a great learning experience and prretty empowering (but it can also take a LOT of time). Soldering is one thing, but learning to use de-soldering braid is also a vital skill in modding pedals. I practiced on an old pedal I had laying around. Also, go slow and check the pedal after EVERY component change.

Having said all that, I just scored a Blues Driver for a good price and I'm going do the Monte Allums H20 mod to it. Also thinking about his Opto mod for a CS3 I haven't used in a long time. Learning about circuits (by modding and/or building) is a fascinating thing- it might make you never want to pay more than Boss prices for any pedal ever again. However, I built a TS with popular variations in hopes to match my Mojodrive and I haven't succeeded, the Mojo still edges it out. But that's all part of the fun.

3. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I would like to lower the gain into Channel A on my Lovepedal Pro Valve. Not sure if it is doable.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Modding Boss pedals is a great place to start. I've modded dozens of my own pedals and for others. After a little practice and patience it's not that difficult. I'm still a novice, but with the right instructions and going slow on my part I've gotten some stellar results.

As for my pedals I'd like to mod, but don't know how... I'd really like to remove the slight volume boost that occurs when I kick on my Line 6 Echopark. This is IMO the *ONLY* drawback to this pedal. Not sure if it's possible, but if there's anyone that knows how please chime in. :knitting

5. charmboy

charmboy Member

Funny, I just picked up a used ds-1 and sd-1 for this very purpose! There's alot of info online, but the best stuff I've read is Wampler's so I plan on picking up his book as well. Seems like a great guy and comes off as very knowledgeable.

I'd love to mod my Small Stone to have some sort of intensity control. Sometimes I feel that when I kick it on, there's just too much swoosh. I know this is inherent with the wide sweep on the Small Stone, but I'd really like to be able to back it off a bit at times.

6. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

+1 on the brian's book, excellent source of information:YinYang

7. Felixun1

Felixun1 Supporting Member

I emailed Robert Keeley and told him he should do a mod package for the MI Audio Crunchbox. I love the CB, but its a little thin and could really benefit from a quality overhaul, similar to what Keeley did with the BD2 (my favorite) and others.

Never got a response though. I've done some web searches looking for mods other have done to the CB, but haven't found much, other that swapping in other op amps for the stock one. I tried that, with interesting but not dramatic results.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Oops! Without a doubt, Brian's (Indyguitarist) info is the most user friendly/for newbs stuff out there. If you want to learn some cool info and be able to mod dozens of stock Boss/DOD etc pedals *get his mod book*. All that you need to be able to do run a soldering iron.

Brians a super guy too.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

GREAT Idea for a thread! Nice!

Let's see...um...

I did also buy Wamplers book, and it is really nice. If I wanted to be ultra-critical, I wish they had gotten a little more detailed in what all the mods do. Some mods are grouped, meaning they all have to be done together, where others affect different things.

That said...

Foxrox ZIM, to have more tonal control on the A channel. (this is doable I am sure).

Marshall Tremelo/vibe pedal, less volume so it is unity when on, a little deeper vibe.

Definitely would LOVE to mod the Klon to be switchable on the buffer (when pedal isn't on) between TB and buffer. There are times the buffer sounds great, but it doesn't always get along with other pedals when off.

Would love to mod my TC Electronics Nova Delay (this would be probably impossible as I believe this uses a processor, with code input from a chip) to be able to show where my presets are set, what is set where.

Boss CH-1 to get much deeper chorus. Wamplers book has this mod, but unfortunately mine is a later model that uses the very small Surface Mount chips, etc. so...

Mod my Ernie Ball volume pedal with a side-mounted "tuner out" footswitch (could do it like the new vintage Fender vol and fuzz pedals) so it was TB to tuner out, basically just a A-B looper.

Those off the top of my head. Have modded a few pedals now (GE-7 mod, I used Wamplers there too, they work really well), and my wahs. It really is a lot of fun.

Oh, also would love to mod my Whirl-a-gig, to use the "nuance" knob to affect the sound...I can't hear a difference with it. Also to be able to lessen slightl the depth.

10. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

Glad you guys are enjoying the book - thanks for the comments too! :)
    I'm in the process of rewriting it (not revising - I actually had to rewrite the whole thing because I lost all my files on my harddrive!), so I will keep these ideas in mind.
    Thanks,
    Brian

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Brian, it is an EXCELLENT book. Just that sometime (especially when there are more than one mod for the pedal) there is nothing in the section telling what the new value will do.

But, that is peanuts, I have looked around and there are really NO books on the market that do what your book does.

If you get enough material, would love to see a volume II, maybe with even more boutique, or non-boss pedals?
    Or how about Behringer pedals?? Those cheapo, plastic pedals often sound pretty good right from the start really for what they are, but because of price and all...would be a great start pedal for modding, without newcomers to modding worrying about ruining it.

Also, you did a great job of introduction for people that don't know electronics, what a cap is, how to read the markings, what it does!

Would bet too some small theory thrown in would be even icing on the cake.

But no matter what, that book is wonderful!!

12. paulscape

paulscape Member

I would like to mod my Boss MT2 back into the $50 I paid for it originally. I used it once and realised it would not be used again.

13. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I would like to have my Sonic Glory modded.. Really great OD for the price, and very underrated.. I know Brian has a mod for it, but no idea what it does!

Also a Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz JH-2s.. Many people dislike this pedal, but it is my personal favourite when stacked.. Although, I don't mind if this pedal was pimped!

Thirdly, wondering if I should do a Keeley mod on my vintage big box RAT.. Hmmmm..

14. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i would like to mod the digitech digiverb to be a little less bright with the effect engaged and a better buffer...

15. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

16. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

My Tube Works Real Tube and I am sending it in next week to be modded at the source. :)

New custom tranny, some resistor changes, ground added (hum is the really only problem with those) and a few mods.

Can't wait to get her back, she's been a staple on my board for twenty years and with the mods it should push it for another twenty.

BTW no I don't run with those settings. :D It would suck setup like that. Trick with these pedals is to cut the HIs almost to nothing, like maybe 9 oclock. Gain on 1 oclock and level around noon. They sound awesome like that. Fat, chewy, great tone and lots of sustain. Literally one of the best tube ODs around.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  17. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

I own one also, it does boost but is one of the best sounding choruses around. I do notice now that I have mine in the loop-master (pic in sig) that tames it rather nicely, that might be a trick you should try. I don't have near the issue running it now as I once had.

18. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

This is interesting, I moved mine from the front of the amp to the loop and I do also notice a decrease in the amount of volume boost it gets when engaged. I will also agree that it is a very sweet sounding chorus effect.

When I was shopping for chorus effects I tried like 10 of them at the same time and the two that I liked best were the VS H2O and the Voodoo Lab. I went with the H2O first because it was cheaper and it included a fantastic echo, but I never forgot the sound of the VL, and especially what the combination of the VS + VL chorus sounded like! A Wall of Guitars!!! :banana

19. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

The Arion SCZ Chorus has a volume boost that makes it had to keep in rotation on the board. Love how it sounds otherwise!

20. KRosser

KRosser Member

I'd love for the EH POG to have a jack for an expression pedal to control the filter -

And don't just tell me to get a HOG...I tried it...I don't think it sounds nearly as good as the POG.