Pedalsnake: tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ben_allison, Oct 11, 2008.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

There's not too much talk about the Pedalsnake on TGP.

I've known about them for a while, but haven't needed one: until now. I now have a channel switcher with reverb, so that's two extra cables I'll be running in addition to the audio line coming off my pedal board (not to mention the other two if I decide to use the fx loop).

So I could potentially be running 5 cables from my board to my amp (all power is handled on-board with a PP2).

I'm sure the Pedalsnake is a reliable and useful solution, but how is the tone? Will a Pedalsnake sound at least as good as the 15" Mogami+Neutrik cable I'm using now?

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Im curious about this as well!

3. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

"Will a Pedalsnake sound at least as good as the 15" Mogami+Neutrik cable I'm using now?"

In short, no.
    I had one to run with my Shiva/pedalboard a long while back but it sucked enough tone to warrant selling it and finding an option with better quality cables. It was a noticeable difference.

RC

4. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Meh... look like I'll be making my own snake.

5. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

:horse
    That is what I did. EA cable,short runs, bundled with cable tie. Works great. For fancier option, many inexpensive flex sleeves available...compress the load, pull to tighten, finish with heatshrink to keep together and prevent fraying.

DS

6. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

yeah i have thought about a hosa 1/4" snake, especially since revamping the board to stereo eventide pedals... if i wanted to do things "right" from my amp i'd have 1 amp pedal cord, 1 input, 2 for fx loop so that's 4 wires to the amp good grief... let alone stereo

i usually go amp and direct box for stereo though

other thing besides extra cables keeping me from using the fx loop is if i have to tinker with thing the fx loop pops so damn loud when i plug/unplug

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I'm no cable snob but I don't have any tone suck issues with my Pedalsnake. That might be because I'm not running any unbuffered signal through it.

8. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

Hey guys, just wanted to give you some options. Whirlwind makes a great product called Snakeskin in which you can use to house all of your quality cables in one nice and easy to use snake. I use Canare GS6 with G&H connectors for my amp runs and built my own power cable using a nutrik Powercon connector to clean up things on the pedalboard side and a quality standard Edison plug. You can purchase the Power cable and Eddison "Standard Three Prong" cable end at your local Lowes,Home Depot or Menards. Pickup some shrink wrap to clean up you fan tails and call it a day.

:AOK

Ps.Stay away from the Hosa cables, tone suck for days! Spend the cash, remember the weakest link in your chain.

9. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I used one for a while. Had no problems with tone suck at all. But the line was buffered.

10. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Member

Another spin would be to use the Planet Waves Modular Snake. I'm planning on just using their core cable and then wiring a d25 female connector into the side of my board (next to the powercon & locking 1/4" input). Seemed like it addressed the issue of high quality cabling within the snake itself (as opposed to using just regular VGA cable, etc.)

11. Brewtone

Brewtone Member

I find it to be a great solution, with no noticeable tone loss. I am pushing a buffered signal through it to my back line so I can't comment on using an unbuffered signal through it.

12. DStout

DStout Member

I used a pedalsnake with a buffered as well as a non buffered signal through it. With the non buffered signal it sucked tone.

13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

14. beej

beej Supporting Member

To see how the masses like it?

I've been using one for a few years, really like it. Convenient and very durable. But I run an Axess BS2 buffer before the snake, so I'm not concerned about the long cable run.

15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I was using one of the very first ones (20') in 4CM with my Mesa LCS and Budda SD18.

Worked great and I noticed no more significant tone suck than using 4 hi-end 20' cables.

I think it's an excellent product that really cleaned up my stage area and reduced setup time.

16. mightypudge

mightypudge Member

After a few trouble free years I ditched mine. In the middle of practice I decided to swap the Pedalsnake for regular Mogami cables. The improvement in tone was noticeable to the point that the rest of the band could hear it.

17. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Me too... it was much cheaper that way too.

JasonP... why the hate on Hosa cables? I use them on my pedalboard and have zero issues.

18. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I am using a Pedalsnake in a buffered run and it sounds great to me.

19. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

You much better off making your own.
    Pick up some Neutrik ends and Mogami 2524 cable.
    You can get the sleeving from Best-Tronics.com.
    This way you can customize everything and you don't pay for stuff you dot need.
    I'd also suggest it would be much more road worthy.

20. Danox3

Danox3 Member

Whirlwind can also make you a Pedal Snake.