1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pedaltrain 2 and Voodoo Labs PP2 Plus In Da House!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

Goodbye Furman pedalboard, hello Pedaltrain 2 and Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus. The Furman is a nice board but I wanted something with a tiered design and a little smaller pedalboard footprint. I picked up the Pedaltrain and PP2 Plus Tuesday night, layed out my effects and wired it up yesterday at band practice. Although I need to shift a couple of pedals around and order some right angled power cords from Stompin Ground, I was very pleased by it. I love the angled design, makes getting at my rear pedals easier and also my wah. I found for my ZVex Trem Probe, I can use it easier by shifting it all the way up to the top so I can anchor my heel on the first pedalboard slat. So far I don't notice any hum from having the PP2 right next to my wah and I can't wait to mess around with the sag control with my wah to see what it does. Once I get my Fuzz Head back from Keeley and put on the board, I'll click a digi of the board and post here.

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

Right on! I just got my Pedaltrain Pro today. I thought it was going to be too big when I saw the box, but the pedalboard is EXACTLY the size I was looking for. Maybe an inch deeper than I needed, but that's welcome. I'm going to wire mine up tonight at band rehearsal as well, but I think I have to make a couple more right angle cables. And I have a Pedal Power2+ coming in the mail in the next day or so. Good times!

3. ned911

ned911 Member

I picked up a PT 2 today as well. Mine goes back tomorrow for exchange as the board isn't square and wobbles on the diagonal.

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

I'm looking forward to doing that myself. Gotta go buy a Dremel. Good excuse to buy more power tools. :)

5. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I just got my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ in today (ordered it from Steve's Music Center in New York and it only took two days :) ).

I think it kicks! I like it much more than the Furman I used to have. While 8 outputs isn't a lot, it is enough for a decent setup like I have going on. I love how it handles everything I'm throwing at it beautifully.

The DLS Echotap needs more juice than standard pedals, so I run it off of output 5/6 and it works great. I've had some fun with the SAG control on output 7/8 with my Clay Jones OD and I'm enjoying the 12v I can get on line's 1-4 for the Pro Analog Dual Drive (I think I may like it more than the 18v I used to use to supply it).

The PP2+ is built tough and I'm not hearing a single bit of noise with the product, it has surpassed my expectations. I've never been a huge Voodoo Labs fan, but the power supply is absolutely top notch. It certainly isn't cheap, but the convenience of the product, isolated outputs, powered filtering, voltage regulation all make it a very worthwhile buy. Certainly fits my needs better than the $300 Pedalgear one.

6. the_Chris

It's pretty interesting, it gives the pedal a lo-fi type sound. Most of the time, I keep it up all the way because the CJOD sounds the best with full juice (that's when it has the most clarity, sustain, bloom, etc.). It's not a huge thing, but it's fun to mess around with and I'm sure with some pedals it could get some really strange vibes (I'm thinking something like a fuzz).

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Josh,

what was your experience with the Furman board?

I have been using a large 29"x15" board I got off ebay, actually pretty decent with nice lid "guitar case" feel/looking material. I have a PP2, which is great.

However, I ran out of room and needed a second board.

I now have a Furman SPB-8, which I am set to take advantage of the power conditioning feature for safe powering of my amps and other guitar equipment. I also will use it to power pedals, now I can power 8 on each board (and use a daisly chain from a future Strobo Stomp or 1-spot if needed in addition, but I like the idea of using PP2/SPB-8 power supply). I might even figure out a cool way to manipulate the patch bay for my complex system. Nashville has some dingy clubs whose power's cleanliness I am not sure I entirely trust with my equipment, and even my house is too old to have grounded power jacks, so maybe this will be a great thing. Still, some people complained about the quality of the patch bay on H-C, some upgraded it from a PCB to hard-wired connections with success. Someone on this board was complaining about their SPB-8's power conditioning feature, but then again, some people take it apart and put the electronics section on their home-made pedalboards. There is a wide breadth of impressions of this product. It looks great to me (and the case is awesome!)...

I have read some of the reviews on H-C, which range from glowing to fuming. Then, I have also read reviews from respectable gear hounds like Scott Peterson. So, what is your take?

Congratulations on the Pedal Train and PP2, the Pedal Train products seem top-notch and the PP2 has always worked great for me. Voodoo Lab has great service, they sent me a free 9V battery adaptor for the PP2, even though I bought it used. Great guys. Which Stompin'-Ground package are you going with for cables? I'm probably going to order both the 10 George L connector/5 feet of Gepco cable and 18 George L connector/10 feet of Gepco cable packages (2 pedalboards + maybe the patch bay on the Furman).

I can at the very least use the patch bay on the Furman to plug guitar or amplifier cables into to avoid repetitive plugging into a pedal's jacks, right? Or, possibly from some of the reviews on H-C, the sound and quality and reliability of a pedal's jack might be better than the PCB patch bay. I think my outputs are taken care of on the WOBO switching system, anyway. I might use it for the input, or for some funky routing, or just bypass it altogether.

8. ned911

ned911 Member

Post pics once you get your boards set up.

Just need to add that the customer service from PT is great. Sent John an email about my wobbly PT and got an email back within a few hours on how to fix the issue. Here is the fix in case anyone else runs across this issue:

"This is easily fixable by just putting a couple
    of small blocks of wood or something under opposing corner feet and
    pushing down to bend it back into shape so that it lays flat. We will
    gladly replace it if it won't straighten out so no worries."

9. the_Chris

I liked mine A LOT for a while and then things started messing up. The input jacks started going. It went dead on me in the middle of playing and I had to screw it and play direct for the rest of the session. Come to find out, after some messing around, I discovered the power bay stopped working. I've had mine for about 2 years and these issues are unacceptable. Some people had reported receiving their units like this, mine took some time, so I guess I got lucky. Still, it's not a product I can trust in and know that it will be working time in and time out and that's when I knew it was time to look into another product.

The Pedal Power 2 Plus is amazing to me and it's working right now in place of the Furman. I'll be holding onto my receipt just in case something goes with this one (I don't forsee this power supply having any issues judging by the feel of the build quality of the unit.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Thanks, I'll hold on to the receipt and if it goes, I'll use the money to get another eBay board, PP2 and a LavaMan (LavaCable) power conditioner...

11. Josh O

Josh O Member

I will say that over the years that I owned the Furman, I never had any reliability problems with it. I would never had switched to the Pedaltrain/PP2 if I didn't desire something a little smaller and designed to be more tiered based on the pedals I now use. I will agree with the H-C reviews about the patch bay, it was a great idea in concept but I thought they robbed tone thus I never used them the whole time I've had the board. The AC and DC outputs at the top were very handy and I never experienced any noise issues. I went from an SKB pedalboard to the Furman and it was like going from a Kia to a Cadillac in build quality. The Furman still is a great board, that's why guy's like Scott Peterson, Baba, etc use them all the time.

12. Josh O

Josh O Member

As promised, cables aren't neatly tied up or anything, I still need to order some right angled jobbies from Stompin Ground for the Fuzz Head, wah and Keeley/Boss pedals up top.

[​IMG]

13. Madsman

Madsman Member

It's going to be way cooler when everything is tied down and neat.

I am planning to wire mine up properly this week. I'm going to set all of the pedals I plan to use out and just figure out the chain I want... then I'm going to set everything onboard and maybe cable-tie a few of the pedals down where I expect them to reside.

REALLY impressed with the PTPro and its case. The case is SO convenient. I need a pretty big pedalboard (not huge) and this is the best way to get it around. Extremely well thought out.

14. ned911

ned911 Member

Put mine together last night. Still need to add a Barber Silver LTD and amp channel switcher. Also, when I removed the feet from my Vox Clyde the screws wouldn't got all the way in which made the wah slide around on its base - anyone got a solution.

[​IMG]

15. Josh O

Josh O Member

16. ned911

ned911 Member

Just order one thank you.

Of course now I'll have to reconfigure everything :)

17. JCarrick

JCarrick Member

I've got a Pedaltrain JR, i'm just trying to decide whether to go for a PP2+ or not, everything i've read is more than positive, £150 just seems steep though :/ What do you guys think?

18. angusvanfrehley

angusvanfrehley Member

This is how pedaltrain describe how to fix the wobble problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNAngiMUtc