Pedaltrain build (PT-1) - Start to Finish in 1 post

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ercguitar, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ercguitar

ercguitar Member

Figured this came out pretty nice, and thought some people will find it helpful to have this info in one place.

Here it goes...

List of parts:
    (1) PT-1
    (4) Redco TRS thru jacks (http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=1287)
    (4) Neutrik Gaskets (http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=1651)
    (1) Can of Silver Metallic spray paint (covered the board nicely with 2 coats, if you're doing a bigger board, might need 2 cans)
    (1) Can of Enamel Clear Coat (same here, might need 2 if doing a larger board)
    (8) #4 x 1/2" Sheet Metal Screws (you need 2 per jack, they came in a pack of 14 for less than $2)
    (1) Pack of Velcro

Tools:
    Drill
    Measuring Tape (or ruler to mark for holes)
    7/8" Hole Saw bit with pilot starter (mine is a Milwaukee Arbor Shank with a 7/8" saw on it) made for cutting metal
    5/64" drill bit (holes for the mounting screws)
    Flat File (to take burs off the edges of the holes)
    180 Grit sandpaper (rough up the surface before painting, also took the pedaltrain logo off with this)
    Goo Gone (to remove old Velcro goo)
    Blue Painters Tape (wrapped the feet with it since they're riveted on)
    Phillips Head Screwdriver
    Scissors (to cut velcro)

All of the tools and parts, other than the jacks, gaskets, and pedal board (obviously), can be easily found at a place like Home Depot or Lowe's.

Old velcro (and pedals obviously) removed
    [​IMG]

Parts ready to go
    [​IMG]

Mock up and measuring. Spaced the jacks 2" from each end, and the 3 jacks are 1.5" apart at their centers. Then they are centered vertically on the board. After I marked where the center of each jack would be I used a hammer and nail to punch into the metal to make a starting point for the drill bit. (drill bit pictured, it's a 7/8" hole bit with a pilot hole starter)
    [​IMG]

Holes drilled. This was actually really easy (helps to have decent tools and a new drill bit too) NOTE: I didn't notice until I was half way thru the first hole that there is a support brace running thru the length of the back rail. Notice the chunks of metal that were cut out.
    [​IMG]

Holes came out nice :)
    [​IMG]

Fitment check... (2 pics) I saw where someone else posted about the little rubber gaskets that go around the jacks. I'm glad I caught that post and ordered them with the jacks. Definitely a cleaner look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last thing from last night. Sanded down the burs around the holes and lightly sanded the whole thing to get it ready for paint which will happen tonight.
    [​IMG]

Was able to get the paint done tonight! Came out pretty nice, except it was pretty humid outside, I hope it dries well. Also, the feet were riveted on, not screwed liked I previously thought, so a little blue painters tape did the trick.

1st coat on the bottom
    [​IMG]

1st coat on the top
    [​IMG]

Finished! 2 coats on the whole thing. It was starting to get a little dark out, hence the less than stellar pic.
    [​IMG]

Next Post.......

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    bullet6759 and Prince like this.
  2. ercguitar

ercguitar Member

Post #2 (maxed on images for a single post)

I was able to get 2 coats of clear on the board last night, plus finish mounting the jacks, and stick the velcro back to it.

Measuring the fit again, and marking the holes to drill
    [​IMG]

The clear coat came out shiny :) At least on the edges. I was a bit careless with the tops of the rails since I knew they'd be covered with velcro.
    [​IMG]

Since I know there will be questions on this; I used these screws (#4 x 1/2") and drilled the pilot holes with 5/64" drill bit.
    [​IMG]

Holes drilled
    [​IMG]

And mounted up! I'm glad I left 1.5" in between the jacks (at their centers) because those gaskets flattened out more than expected when I tightened the screws.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Velcro going on. I debated long and hard whether to stop the velcro at the inner edge of the side rails, or take it to the outer edge. As you can see I decided on the inner mainly because if I want to add more later, it's MUCH easier than trying to remove some. Plus I like the silver on the edges.
    [​IMG]

Got to here...
    [​IMG]

...and...

.....whoops!
    Was trying to clean some of the velcro glue off the scissors, and damn they're sharp!
    [​IMG]

After a small break to mend the finger, finished the velcro
    [​IMG]

Underside
    [​IMG]

From the edge of the board (OUT, SEND, RETURN)
    [​IMG]

(IN)
    [​IMG]

FINISHED!! :D
    [​IMG]

And with pedals back on it! Still need to clean up all the wires, plus I want to figure out something with the 1Spot power connector, and my Amp Foot Switch jack.
    [​IMG]

Well, there it is. Not the best thing I've ever built, but it still came out quite nice. Plus it's going to take a bit of a beating so I'm ok with it being less that 100% perfect.

Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks!

3. southtone

southtone Member

That looks awesome. Well done

4. dulcetpine

dulcetpine Member

Needs a handle!

Good job man.

5. ercguitar

ercguitar Member

Thanks!

And it has a handle... stick my hand in between the 2 middle rails and lift. :p I have the hard case too, which of course has a handle.

6. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful :aok
    With the exception of the paint it's almost exactly like my PT1 :) Love it.

7. ercguitar

ercguitar Member

hahaha, thanks!

If (who am i kidding) WHEN I build another one, I think I'll paint it some ridiculous color like florescent green just because it will really stand out, and by the time you put velcro, pedals, etc, you don't really notice the silver. I couldn't pull the trigger on it this time, thinking it would be just too over the top, but now I think it would be kinda awesome.

8. gear007

gear007 Member

What is the benefit of adding the in/out/return over plugging into the pedals?

9. MegaMan9

MegaMan9 Member

10. jb4674

jb4674 Member

you isolate the pedals that go on the FX loop of the amp and have a direct connection to them on the board and from the board to the amp.

11. inystad

inystad Member

Extra neatness especially when using effects in fx loop of amp.

Great build!

12. jb4674

jb4674 Member

ERC, that came out really nice! how sturdy are the locking jacks on the back of the board? I wonder if putting plates on them would be necessary? You just gave me the itch to grab a beat up PT-2 or 3 and go to town on it.

13. ercguitar

ercguitar Member

Like everyone else said... you can put your pedals closer together and in an order that makes them more usable.

on my board the EQ and Chorus are in the amp fx loop. they're up on the top row out of the way because i can turn one or both of them on before a song, then kick it in when i want it using the effects on/off on my amp switch.

Thanks!!

I thought about the jacks and whether they'd be 'sturdy' but they're actually in there quite well. They don't wiggle around the least bit.

14. AtlMusicMan86

AtlMusicMan86 Member

Great job on the board man!! Makes me want to do the something to my new PT-2 lol Don't worry I'll use a different color and less neutrik jacks so it's not a complete rip off haha

15. ercguitar

ercguitar Member

I was actually thinking about adding a 5th jack to hookup my foot switch which is just a TRS cable. :D Either that, or just modify my foot switch so that I can disconnect the cable from it. Having the cable permanently connected to it is kind of a pain considering how neat I've tried to make the rest of it.

Either way, feel free to rip it off lol

16. inystad

inystad Member

Those locking jacks should be standard with every pedaltrain...

17. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Can you post a list of everything you used?

18. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Flip it over, lets see the underneath!

19. ercguitar

ercguitar Member

Sure. I'll add it to the first post to keep all the details in one place.

20. ercguitar

ercguitar Member

ehhh, not yet. haven't had a chance to clean up the wires yet lol. hopefully i'll get around to that this weekend.