Pedaltrain II owners/experts - I need advice on supplementing a PP2+

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mentalfloss, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

I'm planning and making purchases for a smaller-than-my-current pedalboard and the Pedaltrain II is the most likely candidate. I'm going to mount a PP2+ underneath, but there will be thirteen pedals plus a wah on the side. Never having seen a Pedaltrain II in the flesh, I'm not sure if there will be space to run a One-Spot off of the PP2+'s auxiliary outlet (for pedals 9-14) or if I would have to power it elsewhere. Also, I'm planning to use a Gig Rig Virtual Battery with the Sun Face, and in reading about those I found out about the Gig Rig Distributer. So I thought maybe I could power a Distributer off of one if the PP2+'s outlets. But then I thought, maybe powering six pedals off of one PP2+ outlet is a mistake. But then I thought, oh, I can use a Virtual Battery for each (or some) of the Distributer outlets. But then I thought, oh no, the expense! (Plus the space consumption on the board). So then I thought, it would be simpler and not insanely expensive just to buy an addition PP2+. And then I called the Pedaltrain salesperson who told me that in order to mount two PP2+'s on the underside of a Pedaltrain, one must drill additional holes. I do low-risk drilling around the house once every two or three years and would really not want to screw up a nice new pedalboard, but I suppose I could tackle it.

Does anyone have any advice? Other than that I ditch six pedals or use batteries? Thanks!

2. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

Stomping ground makes AC y-cables so you can power two 9v pedals off of one AC jack on you PP2+. You could also run a daisy chain from on the AC jacks on your PP2+. If you choose either of these options, you may have do some trial and error to see which pedals benefit most from the isolated AC jacks on the PP2+ and which pedals can live without the isolation.

3. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

Please bear with me; I'm electronics-challenged - if I make use of Y-cabling or daisy-chanining, I have to be sure that the milli-amp consumption total for the Y'd/chained pedals does not exceed the total capacity for the particular PP2+ output (100mA or 250mA), true? Is that the only concern? And I don't have to worry about any performance degradation or compromise with the Y'd/chained pedals being simulataneously on (in use)? If that's right, and I have three pedals that I will run not-Y'd (they'll run at higher voltage, alternate dip-switch settings on the PP2+), that leaves five PP2+ outputs which could be Y'd to power ten pedals, for a total of thirteen. Whew!

The thing is, I don't want to spend hours experimenting to figure out which pedals "play well together" for Y-cabling. If members here are confident that Y-cabling and low-count daisy-chaining won't adversely impact performance, then of course this would be cheaper and more convenient than mounting a second PP2+. But if this represents a risk and I really would need to do the Y-cable pedal-pairing very carefully, I'd rather just get another PP2+ (even though that means the extra holes drilling into the Pedaltrain).

I realize this topic didn't generate much interest when I posted it a few days ago, but I'd really appreciate some more input. Thanks in advance!

4. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

You can buy a 1spot Daisy Chain. I use one with my PP2+. Works just fine. Just be sure not to overload the PP2+. Only cost you 10 bucks.

5. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Are you sure those will even fit on there?

Make sure to measure it out. I didn't and now I have to buy a pt-pro.

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

don't buy the daisy chain just yet, i think i have one left, i'll check it out tomorrow morning and let you know if i do.

If i can find it, it is yours free, i will let you know tomorrow if i still have it.

7. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

By "those" do you mean PP2+'s? Yes, they can be mounted under the newer Pedaltrain II's (I've checked into this with both Analog Mike and with a phone call to Pedaltrain's customer support/sales number). Calling was what also tipped me off to the need to drill additional holes for a second PP2+ installation (which I am now disinclined to do, since I think I'm understanding Y-cabling better, and possibly One-Spotting).

Or by "those" do you mean thirteen pedals? Yup, I've measured and diagramed and am confident of the fit. But I am waiting to buy the Pedaltrain until I actually have all the pedals in my possession (a few are on order; a Retro Man Uber Vibe, a few Analog Man items, and one of those new Turbo Tuner ST-200s) so I can confirm more concretely.

8. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I meant all of the pedals fitting on the board.

Do you have any wahs or volume pedals? What kind of cables/ends are you using?

9. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

Thank You! That's a very kind offer and I really appreciate it. Yes, I have probably four/five more weeks before I have all the pedals anyway, so I was going to put off any Y-cable, daisy-chain, or 1-Spot purchase(s) until I could determine the lengths I would need. But I would be very happy to take you up on your offer and I'm sure this will be helpful. Let me know how we should make contact.

10. macmax77

i'll pm you tomorrow and let you know if i have found it, if i do, it is yours !
    take good care

11. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

I plan to use my wah off the board (just like Analog Mike!). I have a volume pedal (EB) which I never use (don't like the tone suck and don't want to buy a true-bypass box for it).

For cables/ends, I'm going to go with Lava Cables and his new (available as of Aug. 22) right-angle plugs (to allow for closer pedal spacing, compared to something like the George L's).

If it turns out I'm wrong about the fit, I'll probably get a 28x16 Trailertrash board (which should be big enough to put the wah on the board); I definitely don't want the size/weight of the Pedaltrain Pro (plus ATA case). The whole point of this exercise was to have a much more grab-and-go-able board, compared to my current 38x18 and HEAVY back-injury-in-waiting job, while not sacrificing effect variety.

Thanks for the concern . . .

12. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Not a problem. I was off in my estimates of the size of the pt-2, I need a pro. My problem is that I need my 3 main pedals in the front row, but they barely fit next to the tip third hand and goodrich volume pedal. I immediately lost 1/3rd of the real estate because of the volume pedal and expression pedal, but that's the only way the board will work.

13. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

Should I ask you about the Goodrich VP in another thread? Does it not rob tone/volume? I haven't read about Goodrich. I'd read about the tone-suck issue with the EB VPs but thought, oh it's probably so subtle only an uber-OCD tweaker would notice, but it's very noticeable as it turns out. Otherwise I'd be using it.

My big(ger) board has an expression pedal which I leave attached to the Captain Coconut 2 (I could also use it with the Paradox TZF flanger, but I never do). Since I only use the EP with the CC2, and the Retro Man Uber Vibe I have on order has a foot-operated speed-wheel control on the side, I decided that the new "baby" board would not include an EP.

I may someday cave and build a "fetus" board with just a tuner, OD and delay. Yeah, right.

14. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

I had the same situation and mounted an MXR DC Brick underneath. It will fit easily between the supports and can be secured with plastic cable ties.

15. macmax77

no luck so far, i am still looking, might be in the rehearsing space.
    Anyway, i'll let you know.