Pedaltrain Mini 1 Spot "joepopp" mod

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joepopp, Oct 5, 2010.

1. joepopp

joepopp Member

Inspired by the Brim mod I decided to do my own power supply mount for a 1 Spot. Why would I want an unisolated power supply mounted under my board? 1. I hate wall warts 2. The practice room has recessed outlets so the one spot won't fit in there. 3. My board needs to be light as possible because I live in NYC and have to lug it around on the subway. 4. I didn't want to use any elevator feet on the back. 5. Just to see if I could do it!

You will need:
    I.E.C. power inlet - The main power inlet. I chose one that could be rear mounted so it would be flush with the face of the PT.
    Qualtek part number 738W-CX2/01 - The 2 prong receptacle.
    Hammond 1590a box - to cover the I.E.C.
    Zip wire - use wire from an old lamp.
    Shrink Wrap
    Dremel Moto-Tool
    Dremel 199 high speed cutter bit
    - to cut the PT
    Dremel drum sander bit
    - to sand the rough edges

You will need to measure and cut holes for the receptacles. One on the front plane for I.E.C. and two on the middle beam for the Qualtek. You can download a pdf of the Qualtek that has a cutout template which you can tape on and then cut around. I just spray painted it with Krylon flat black after cutting, but I will get it powder coated over the holiday vacation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next Solder the zip wire to the I.E.C. power inlet. Mind the polarity (not that it matters with the one spot but just for good practice). Be sure to remove any ammonia bottles before soldering!
    [​IMG]

Install the I.E.C. I use stainless hardware and Nylok nuts just like in my amp builds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next you will have to notch the 1590a box to fit over the I.E.C. and provide an exit for the wire.
    [​IMG]

I mounted my I.E.C. too low so I also had to grind the edge off of it so it would fit under the I.E.C. If you mount yours a little higher you won't need to do this.
    [​IMG]

Slip the 1590a bottom plate under the I.E.C. Drill holes where the screw holes are so you can bolt it in from the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Put on the 1590a top and feed the wires through the notch. Screw it all together. Split the zip wire for easy soldering.
    [​IMG]

Push the Qualtek 738 through the hole and snap it in.
    [​IMG]

Shorten and solder the zip wire. Be sure to use shrink wrap around the leads.
    [​IMG]

Plug in your 1 Spot and you are set to go! You will not need any elevator feet. Notice spray painted hand!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New additions suggested by TGPers.

hathisisfunnyha suggested I add a power switch next to the I.E.C. inlet. I decided to put it on the little cover box so I could see it when playing.
    [​IMG]

jlagrassa made an excellent point by saying I should have a chassis ground from the I.E.C. inlet. I ground off the paint under the screw head to be sure there is good contact. This should have been done right off! I have no idea where my brain was...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

very cool - would be nice if it had an on/off switch next to the IEC plug

3. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Well done - I love it!

4. joepopp

joepopp Member

No brainer! I will add one and post pix. I think I will put it on top on the 1590a box if it will fit. Good call!

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

+1. i didn't 'get it' until i saw the pedaltrain mini. i actually velcro a power strip underneath my pt1 and pt2 and plug my 1 spots into those, and was thinking, "wtf is he doing?!"

7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I just velcro'd my Godlyke in upside down and push an extension cord on it. Cable is rolled up and zip tied underneath. Works great, reversible, takes about 3 minutes tops.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. joepopp

joepopp Member

jgm: That works too! Nice idea with the EP Booster!

9. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

The EP Booster actually took more time. I cut a piece of 1" square tube (from Homey D's) the length of the pedal, painted it black, put velcro on two sides, and screwed it to the bottom flange of the front piece with four sheet metal screws - metal to metal, pre-drilled. Super solid that way. The pedal sits just a touch higer than the frame/pedal surface so the zip tie just clamps it down, so no wiggle. The 1/4" jack sits just a smidge above the frame so it's easy to plug into and the pedal sits above and slightly to the side of the Screw Driver so I don't step on the SD's knobs.

I had this board set up without a buffer and noticed a tone drop. Added the EP and the tone came back and I get a nice clean boost and push for the gain pedals.

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Thats a very cool mod, I did notice you did not ground the frame from the inlet its good practice to have a chassis ground when dealing with AC for safety reasons in this setup.

11. joepopp

joepopp Member

Excellent point. Will do.

12. jimtaka

jimtaka Member

Cool!

I can definitely appreciate this as opposed to just velcroing a 1spot in there upside down. Sure both are equally effective... but this is just cool :)

Can't wait to see how the power switch works out.

13. Brim

Brim Member

Great job joepopp!

14. rabbit

rabbit Member

Very cool!

When time and mood permit, I´ll have to do the "Extended Joepopp 1-Spot Mod" that includes two VS 1-Spots (I use one for my Timefactor and one for the rest of the pedals).

I have the tools, I´m sure I can collect the necessary parts but my forearm and hand are not as hairy as yours - will I be able to do the mod anyways??? :rotflmao
    Kidding, sorry. Actually, I might want to leave this mod for a expert to do, 220V over here in EU is a bit risky for a noob like me.
    I´m not sure if this will work with European plugs and sockets as the connector/pins might be a bit longer than American ones!? (can somebody confirm this?)

Thanks for the detailed description!

15. spitshineguitars

spitshineguitars Member

Quick question....Joe Popp...as in Tampa Joe Popp? If so, I never got to see you live but my friend had "Bruiser" back in the day and we used to jam that CD all the time! Crunchy guitar tones! Cool that you are foolin' and toolin' around with pedals. It's addicting!

16. TCauble

TCauble Member

17. joepopp

joepopp Member

Done, but put it on top of the cover box so I can see it while standing. Good call!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  18. joepopp

joepopp Member

Most excellent point! This should have been done right off. I ground off the paint under the screw head to insure a good ground. Checked with a meter to be double safe there is in fact continuity to ground.
    [​IMG]

19. joepopp

joepopp Member

Yup that's me! We used to rock Tampa/St. Pete from '95 to '97. The drummer Jeff wood died in 2007 of a brain tumor but we were able to do a few reunion shows before his passing. I was also in a band called dogs on ice from '90 to '94 and current play with a group called The Hornrims. All the music is on iTunes. Here's a Joe Popp pic from a reunion show in 2000 at the State Theater just before I moved to NYC. Those were great days...
    [​IMG]

20. ES330

ES330 Member

I attached my one spot with velcro on the bottom & side... works well

[​IMG]