Pedaltrain Nano board, chorus or delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hector, Feb 27, 2012.

1. hector

hector Member

So, I'm putting together an extremely portable Pedaltrain Nano with four pedals. I've already decided on a 1) tuner 2) distortion 3) light od pedal. Help me decide on the forth pedal. I'm thinking of either a delay or a chorus. I'm playing in a rock cover band. Covering stuff from all eras of rock. I'm leaning towards the delay, only because I think the chorus probably gets lost in the mix anyhow, when playing live.

What would you chose, after a tuner and drive pedals?

2. gillibi

gillibi Member

Get a Line6 M5....sounds great, small, has 24 presets and would cover anything else you'd ever need.

3. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

personally I'd have to have a wah

but over chorus or delay i'd choose delay 100 percent.
    check out guyatone micro pedals. they sound good and don't take up much real estate on your board so you may be able to fit both

4. mrclean77

mrclean77 Member

I'm a huge fan of chorus, but would give another 100% to delay. I will note that i like to run my chorus fairly subtle and my delay....fairly less than subtle.....but even if we're talking a slapback-to-mild thickening range I'd go delay over chorus if there's only room for one.

5. silverjubilee87

silverjubilee87 Member

Get a delay that also has a modulation feature. I use the MXR Carbon Copy and it adds a subtle chorus to the repeats if you press the mod button. I think there's some others out there that do this as well, but the MXR is very compact for a small board.

6. silverjubilee87

silverjubilee87 Member

or if you have room, the Visual Sound H2O would cover both, too.

7. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

^
    This.

(I also have an Ibanez DML-10 that, while digital, does a fantastic job, and would highly recommend having a look at for this application)

8. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I've heard that you can use the EHX Memory Toy for both (?) and that the chorus is quite nice. Perhaps with low feedback.

Cheap and small.

9. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

10. hawes

hawes Member

11. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Don't just limit yourself to 4 pedals on a Nano! I won't spam this thread, but you can check my recent threads to see my Nano board. :)

In any case, that won't help you with your dilemma. I have a Malekko Ekko 616 in the last spot on my Nano board, and it serves both the delay and chorus purposes very well. The modulation on that pedal is really intense, but something magical happens when you dial the delay and repeats down to zero. It turns into a really nice chorus. I find that setting the modulation with relatively slow speed and very subtle depth works well for both a nice mod delay sound AND a chorus sound. You just have to bend over and twist the time and repeat knobs down to zero for the chorus and back up for the delay.

12. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I vote Delay over chorus. I agree that you could use a delay with modulation to get chorus sounds as well. The Memory Toy's modulation can sound nice, once you tweak the trim pot to taste. The Memory Boy is bit bigger, but has much more control over the modulation. Both have great analog delay sounds IMO. There are of course plenty of other choices as well like MXR, Malekko, etc...

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I agree, you can use delay for chorus/flange, for ambiance, for solos... much more useful than chorus. That said, for a small board like that I'd use the M5 or an Adrenalinn 3 to get a lot more functionality in a small space.

14. hector

hector Member

Thanks for your posts guys. I do have a spare MXR Carbon Copy. Forgot about the chorus button on there. I'll try that first.

15. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

16. leonardrock

leonardrock Supporting Member

Have you already purchased the Nano or by "putting together" do you mean considering? If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, maybe the Mini would give you more options. The size difference from the Nano is no major burden. With my rock cover band, I built a mini with a tuner, ecstasy OD, pinnacle DIST, mini bi-comp, mxr analog chorus, and mxr CC. I have found this setup covers pretty much everything. Plenty portable and a nice compact footprint on a crowded stage.

I'm not shooting down the Nano by any means, but if there's an option to return or exchange it (still in box, no Velcro yet, etc) the Mini could open things up for you.

17. Seafoam Green

Seafoam Green Member

I'd go delay over chorus as well, but if you don't mind fiddling with knobs mid-set, you can have both. I have a TC Electronic Flashback delay with a TriChorus Toneprint installed, which turns it into a chorus pedal when on the delay setting. So, many varieties of delay goodness and one excellent TC quality chorus, in the same pedal. What's not to like?

18. capt4inslow

capt4inslow Member

this guy beat me to the punch by a minute!

19. Bakachan

Bakachan Member

That.

It also works well with the MOD mode, if you need the Toneprint for a specific delay.

20. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Get an MXR Carbon Copy. With the repeats down to minimum and the modulation on it IS a chorus pedal. Best of both worlds. Nails the police MIAB sound. Two birds; one stone. Just sayin'