1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pedaltrain, Pedalpad, Pedalgear, NYC Pedalboards....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Feb 14, 2009.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

I'm getting ready to buy a pedalboard....any recommendations or comments on the brands in the title?

Thanks

2. bluesd0g

bluesd0g Member

This may seem stupid but whatever board you buy, make sure it's level. A friend of mine got me a Pedaltrain Jr (my first pedalboard) and it wasn't level, some faulty welding i guess and it was a pain in the ass, whenever you stomp a pedal the whole thing bounced. Anyway, i upgraded to a Pedaltrain 2 w/hardcase and i like it.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have been using an NYC Pedalhead for the past few years and it is a great board. I recently switched over to a PT Jr. and I love it too. I wanted to downsize a bit, so I had to give up 2 pedals and put my wah on the floor, but I really like the small footprint of the Jr.
    The NYC boards are cool because you just lift the lid off the hard case to reveal the board. With the PT boards, you have to remove them from the hard case, but not a big deal really.
    The one thing I do like about the PT is that once you route all your cables and mount them underneath it is a really clean setup without loose power cables and such on the board. Also, the larger, flat boards like the NYC gather/collect more dust and fuzz, etc. The open PT design stays a little cleaner. None of these are big deals, just points of interest. I recommend either of them.
    For a larger board, I would probably go with the NYC just because the hard cases for the bigger PT boards can get kind of heavy loaded up.
    I went from this:

[​IMG]

Down to this:

[​IMG]

4. bluesd0g

bluesd0g Member

Love that you have a clock on your board, hope it's not a "how long is this gig gonna go on ffs"-kinda watch :)

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Pedaltrain boards are very good and not expensive and light weight, I've had 3 different sizes. I also have and use my six shot from NYC Pedalboards which has out lasted any board I have used over the years also very well made!

Here is my six shot!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I wanted a flat board, the angled boards bug me, I also wanted 2 levels and I wanted it set up so that the lid was removeable and the bottom IS the board...my NYC is JUST like that and I love it!

[​IMG]

7. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

Go with a PT. They are awesome boards.

8. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

I've got a bunch of boards, and have had several over the years. Honestly, PT boards are nice for keeping it clean, i like the angled tops so my trailer trash boards are pretty sweet too, but my all time fav for durability and long lasting solid protection will have to be my NYC pedalboard. i had a bigger one, but i used it for YEARS with no issues whatsover. its solid and built to last. old pic of the infamous big shot:
    [​IMG]

9. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

The idea of lifting a board out of a case just seems silly to me when you can simply remove the top and the bottom of the case IS the board (a la NYC pedalboards).

10. Agramal

Agramal Member

I've had a big NYC Pedalboard for years, and it's survived a ton of abuse. Plus I even sent it back to him at one point to be recarpeted. Highly recommended.

11. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I agree...I have a couple pedal train pro's and a junior, they ALL have soft cases and it is a GIANT pain in the arse putting a loaded pt pro in and out of a soft case...

I have an skb ps-45 and its nict that you just remove the top and are ready to go

however, I like the pedaltrain despite the case issue...its awesome in its simplicity

12. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat... and I'm leaning toward the PedalTrain. Mainly due to GC in my area having a steal of a deal on one with the hard case for $119. I'm waiting for a 10% coupon in the mail and then I'm snagging one of the two they have.

13. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Pedaltrains are nice for the money...I would start with that.

14. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

Pedaltrain PT2 with the flight case gets my vote, but if I were shopping all over again I would also give careful consideration to the Lava CPS.

15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

That Lava CPS looks pretty pricey for something that resembles my kids LEGO stuff.

16. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

From all the reviews so far, it is a very well-built and designed pedalboard system. The price looks pretty comparable to just about anything else, and since there isn't another expandable system it looks like a great option.

17. charmboy

charmboy Member

I just picked up the pt-1 reissue from guitar center. It's 2 inches shorter than the pt-2 and comes with a hardcase that's not as serious as the ATA but nice protection and much lighter. Really an amazing deal at < $120

I had a lift off case with the pedals on the lid for a long time and I really don't find this more of a hassle. In fact, it's so much lighter than that case that I can pull the board out ahead of time when the first band is playing and have it ready to go when it's time to setup. I can't believe I waited this long to get one of these!!!

18. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Heres my newest NYC board and its working out well. Its real sturdy and the extra level allows me to hide the PP2 and other cords. Im wanting to add a nice TB looper across the front.

[​IMG]

19. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

The Pedaltrain stuff is great. This is my PTII- I'm looking to get a Jr. soon, too.

[​IMG]

20. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

I love my Lava CPS. Its similarity to Lego is a big plus, because it means that you can make it smaller or larger, split it into parts, and arrange it in a number of configurations.