PedalTrain Pro Case vs. Mono M80 Case for my PedalBoard

Scott Peterson

Administrator and Co-Founder of TGP
Staff member
I rock a PedalTrain Pro and have for many years. The soft case that originally shipped has worn through in a few places - ripping straight through - and needs replacement.

I gig a lot, though I transport my gear with care, I require and desire quality stuff. I am not a hard case guy - been there, done that - not what I want at this point.

Looking to replace that worn out soft case and have seen two options that are in the running for me but would love some feedback and/or suggestions from the pedal board monsters of TGP.

Looking at the PedalTrain Pro case at $129 vs. the Mono case M80 at $199.

PedalTrain Pro (Current version)

Mono Case (M80)

My questions for anyone that knows - which is better? Is the Mono worth the price premium vs. the PedalTrain version?

rwijaya

the pedalTrain case Zipper Clip/button will crumble after a year or so. I wont be recommending it, and its also not padded unlike Mono Case.

I would go with Mono Case. it will protect your pro size pedal board better.

Melj

Be careful with the Mono cases if lifting by the strap - I know of two people who had the buckles rip out of the side of the case - on new cases. Both were eventually replaced under warranty though.

I have one for my Pt2 and i do like it, it's much better than the hard case, but do note that there's not much height inside the case - for instance a Hungry Robot Moby Dick on the back rail of mine was being squashed when doing up the case, had a few knobs that were pushed down the shaft by the case lid etc.

I believe some newer PT boards have a higher rise at the rear and will struggle inside the Mono.

Clark GriswoId

Silver Supporting Member
The newer PT cases sure look aligned with the mono at a lower price point.

I too use a PT Pro with old school soft carry case and it has lasted a long time.

Last edited:

Oinkus

Newer PT cases are better than the old ones , I have a PT hard case with wheels and it is really good. Haven't had any issues with either of them.

jnepo1

Silver Supporting Member
Mono will take care of your needs. Another alternative is Gator and Studio Slips. Gator, being physically right down the street from Sweetwater, can ship right away an order from Sweetwater. Same for Mono cases.

Dandy13

Curious as to why some of you prefer the soft cases ? I generally shy away from them and wonder if there are some advantages over a hard case that I haven't considered .

jamester

Silver Supporting Member
the pedalTrain case Zipper Clip/button will crumble after a year or so. I wont be recommending it, and its also not padded unlike Mono Case.

I would go with Mono Case. it will protect your pro size pedal board better.
The new PT Pro cases have only been out a month or so, how do you know about its padding and zipper quality?

Or are you just speculating based on the older bags..?

rwijaya

The new PT Pro cases have only been out a month or so, how do you know about its padding and zipper quality?

Or are you just speculating based on the older bags..?
it seems they didn't update the case at all. they did update the frame of the pedal board by adding a reinforced center frame right in the middle.
it still the same thin nylon materials, the zipper still looks the same, and moreover, the zipper button materials still look the same.

my PT Jr soft case zipper clip/button just crumble a few weeks ago after owning the bag for a year or so. I literally just hold it with two fingers and it just crumbles. called the support and they basically said, I'm **** out of luck for replacement, unless I buy a new case from them for a mere 100USD, no thank you, decided to buy a proper case instead and went with mono M80 club V2 and much better now.

to the OP, if you are going with the pt Pro size i would recommend going with hardcase with a wheel. the pt pro board with all the pedal on it get really heavy for a soft case imho.

Last edited:

rwijaya

Portability. I don't fly it or trailer my gear so it has to fit in my car. Big flight cases rip up cars for me.
find hard cases that have beveled cornered. Not sure if they exist, however, can a pelican case works for pedalboard? more importantly, wheels on the case. I used to own a PT pro in the past, and carrying them with a soft case is such a drag.

Scott Peterson

Staff member
find hard cases that have beveled cornered. Not sure if they exist, however, can a pelican case works for pedalboard? more importantly, wheels on the case. I used to own a PT pro in the past, and carrying them with a soft case is such a drag.
I've done both - and just prefer carrying the soft bag. I've done it with this board for many years; the original soft bag just wore out now so that's what I am looking at. For some people (most?) I'd agree that for a board this big, a pelican type of case would be a great solution.

Paleolith54

Looking at the PedalTrain Pro case at $129 vs. the Mono case M80 at $199.
Scott, things may have changed, but you should probably factor in the fact that Pedaltrain has been pretty adamant about not being in the case business. I called them back in the day with a problem with the early run of cases, and they were nice and polite, but the basic answer was that the case was my problem not theirs.

I love my M80 and though I really like my Pedaltrain boards I stick with Mono for cases.

Scott Peterson

Staff member
Scott, things may have changed, but you should probably factor in the fact that Pedaltrain has been pretty adamant about not being in the case business. I called them back in the day with a problem with the early run of cases, and they were nice and polite, but the basic answer was that the case was my problem not theirs.

I love my M80 and though I really like my Pedaltrain boards I stick with Mono for cases.
Absolutely appreciate the feedback (along with all the feedback in this thread) and am quickly coming to the same conclusion as you. Thank you.

Scott Peterson

Staff member
If you have an old PTpro, the Mono will do very well. If you have a newer Classic Pro, you'll have height issues.
Posts like this (and threads like this) are why I love TGP - the wealth of experience and knowledge is unmatched. My Pedalboard Pro is one of the original from when they first released. Thanks for the post.

Trending Topics