Pedaltrain Volto? One Spot? Pedaltrain Mini power and strymon

Jake Stewat

I need some advice from experienced pedalfreaks about boards, power, and pedals. I'm not much of a pedalboard guru, so perhaps I can get some assistance and recommendations. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm considering getting a Pedaltrain Mini to make a portable gigging board, but I'm not sure how to power it. I've been considering the Pedaltrain Volto, One Spot, and Godlyke Power-All.

PEDALS AND RIG
My current pedals, in order, are-
Korg Pitchblack > Wampler Euphoria > Way Huge Aqua Puss > Strymon Lex

However, my dream list of pedals at the moment is-
TC Polytune Mini > Wampler 57 Tweed > Wampler Euphoria > Wampler Faux Tape Echo > Strymon Lex > Ditto looper

Rig is generally a Tele into a Carr Rambler. Tremolo footswitch is kept separate from the board. Texas country, 70s rock, jazz, and blues.

The Strymon is what makes this somewhat difficult. I would probably just use a One Spot for everything and be done with it, but I've heard Strymon doesn't recommend daisy chaining their pedals. Not to mention some of the venues I've played at in East Texas have pretty noisy power that has caused all sorts of buzzes from my pedals. Add a daisy chain and Strymon into that equation and I don't know how reliable my board would be.

The separation from the wall and two outputs make the Volto seem like an attractive option, but I don't know much of anything about the actual longevity of battery life, reliability, if the provided connections are enough to connect all of pedals, or if the two outputs are isolated from eachother. I'm assuming that if they are, I could run the Strymon by itself through one of the outputs.

The less attractive option (for keeping things sleek and minimal) is running everything with a One Spot, using the provided Strymon adapter for the Lex, and plugging both into a small power strip.

I don't know, I'm honestly not sure what to do. Any ideas? Info or opinions on the Volto? Also, if you have any pedal recommendations or things that you think I might want to consider for my board, let me know. Thanks!

cubistguitar

Cioks adam, new at NAMM 2014, just hold on a little while and will have nice supply that fits under the board.

2x 9v and 2x 9or12v. Just daisy the two dirts and your good to go.

They mention the Strymon boxes in the print

Nota

Portable, rechargeable power is somewhat of an obsession of mine. I'm a minimalist and hate plugging lots of things in and tripping on them.

I have owned the Pedal Juice (not sure it's even being made anymore) although it, like the new Volto, has some serious limitations (and is expensive). I've also tried out portable laptop/phone batteries, which I got to work, but they have limitations too.

My personal solution is... well, if you really care see the gear link below, and ask questions if you want.

If you're going portable, I'd recommend ditching as many digital pedals as you can. The Lex is a power hog, and will EAT rechargeable batteries. Go as analog as possible. My board currently uses ~260mA of power. With my current battery (4200mAh) that's ~16 hours of theoretical power between charges. If I got rid of my ONE digital pedal (Line6 G30 receiver), I could run my board for ~42 hours. Huge difference.

cubistguitar

Very very cool! All isolated? And it'll definitely fit the Mini?
Yep, it even fits the nano, the copy mentioned the nano and mini boards, the taps are on one end instead of the side. All iso 750mA total, so add up your requirements and look out for it in places like Pedalshark.com.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Poul Cioks says it will be out in late February/early March. I posted a pic of it that Brian Spencer of Pedalshark sent me from NAMM. There are two 200mA taps, one of those taps will easily power a Lex.

Jake Stewat

Poul Cioks says it will be out in late February/early March. I posted a pic of it that Brian Spencer of Pedalshark sent me from NAMM. There are two 200mA taps, one of those taps will easily power a Lex.

I believe that the Strymon Lex is 250mA. So would that not be enough power? This is the side of pedals and power that I don't really know much of anything about

Billy Idle

I feed my Flint either w/ a OneSpot -daisy chained, no problem so far !-or my Chameleon that provides 300mA per outlet. No problem. I had to do so because the power adapter that came w/ the Flint burnt out after 10 days of use..

jota

I'm powering 5 pedals with the 1spot, including a Strymon Flint.
It made some noise but I fixed it with a Diago adapter!

Trending Topics