Pedaltrain Volto Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by McStrats, Feb 10, 2015.

1. McStrats

McStrats Member

I've been reading a lot of reviews around the web on this and I am finding that quite a few people are not very pleased with the Pedaltrain Volto. I figured I would try one out for myself and send it back if I had any of the problems that others have had.

After a week with this thing I am certain that the majority of problems people seem to be having are due to not reading the manual.

When I first received it I partially charged it because I had a band practice and decided to take it off the charger after just 45 mins and use it. It lasted 3 hours with 4 pedals: TU-2 tuner, Barber DD, Wampler Pinnacle, and a DD3 Delay. I put it back on the charger and let it charge over night. It then lasted 3 hours just like it did the previous night...because that is what I had 'trained' it to do.

I reset it by plugging the USB base to charge for 60 seconds and then unplugging it...apparently this is how you reset the Volto...I then put it back on the charger for 6 hours (you have to do the initial charge for this long). I put it back on my board and it powered the 4 pedals (all were on) for 17 hours. The battery had now been 'trained' to last that long with those 4 pedals and their respective MA draw.

The takeaway is this: if you charge it for 6 hours and then completely drain the battery it will do what it is advertised to do...

I can't recommend this piece of gear enough...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ebenezer and SackvilleDan like this.
  2. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Interesting. Thanks for the review. I've been on the fence about getting one for my Nano. Still might, still might not. :dunno

3. McStrats

McStrats Member

You are welcome. For what it is designed to do it is a fantastic piece of gear.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Member

Yeah, I've never had any problems with mine, as long as I'm powering analog pedals. Works great.

5. tele_player

tele_player Member

I want one, I just wish it didn't cost so much. I have a 10,000 mAh battery for my phone and tablet, cost me $20. Of course, that's only a 5V supply. We're guitarists, we're special.

Robert

6. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

You can also piggy back it with the 10,000 mAh USB portable charger, such as the Intocircuit Power Bank or PocketJuice and extend the play time. The Volto can power the pedals while charging.

I use one of these regularly, or one of the older Sanyo Pedal Juice boxes. The Sanyo will run for a longer period of time, but is larger/heavier. And no longer available.

7. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

I've been looking for some recent reviews on the VOLTO as well. I think I may order one today.

CEFlint - I am from the Mississippi Delta as well.

8. wbm68

wbm68 Member

Had mine for several month now and no problems.
    I am powering an OCD < Plimsoul < EP Booster < Carbon Copy
    In front of all that I have a battery powered Fuzz pedal and all of it is on a Pedaltrain Nano with the Volto underneath.

9. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

Might have to try this as well. I have a modulation effect that is noisy on a power supply, and silent on a battery. I've wondered how it will interact with the Volto.

10. McStrats

McStrats Member

Another observation about Volto..

When I put my Boss TU2 before od and distortion I had a lot of noise. Putting the tuner at the end of the signal chain fixed it. Now it is a quiet as my Voodoo Labs PP2.

11. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I don't understand how you can "train" it to last for a specific number of hours: it either delivers what it promises in the spec sheet (5000mAh) or it doesn't. And it is supposed to do that only if the user respects what is written in the manual: fully charge it for 6 hours, especially before using it for the 1st time. So I don't really see the problem...

12. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

I purchased one about a month ago. I looked around for (peer) reviews and forum topics on it before I bought it but didn't see too much. I purchased it anyway and followed the directions to the t. I have powered up to 7 or 8 pedals with it for more than 3 or 4 hours. Granted only one or two of them were own constantly but I couldn't be happier with it.

13. McStrats

McStrats Member

That is pretty much what I said in my opening post. If you read the manual and follow the instructions it will perform as advertised.

14. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

So far I'm happy with mine that I just got. But have only had the chance to use it on one rehearsal session so far and it was only powering one pedal, a HOF Mini reverb which was always on.

It's unclear to me what a "reset" would do. Perhaps it drain the batter empty so you can then get a proper full charge?

15. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I understand, but you also wrote you "trained" it to last for 3 hours... as far as I understand it was a simple user error problem leading to the battery not reaching its optimum operation, and not some sort of "training". As a matter of fact, the requirement of a new battery getting one or two full charge cycles without interruption is very common nowadays, and has been common for years (I remember it being there since I first got rechargeable batteries as a kid, and also on my 1st mobile phone back in '98 or so).

16. mac jones

mac jones Member

I buy batteries similar to this. They are 10000mah (much more powerful than the Volto), they supply both 9 and 12v volts, and cost half at $50.

You ned to get reverse polarity cables (very easy to get) from Voodo Labs, or other places 5.1mm and 5.5mm barrel.

Just saying. Volto is nice, but expensive. Nice though.

link

http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000...26260234&sr=8-1&keywords=10000mah+portable+9v

Note: I't funny about the 'training' thing. Apparently (i'm no expert here), lithium Batteries (Volto is lithium, as most batteries today), don't need to be trained, like other chemical types of batteries. Yet I do it anyway out of habit (and fear mostly :) ).

Kind of like pumping the breaks on a car or the accelerator pedal.

LordByron likes this.
  17. SmallStones

SmallStones Supporting Member

Wow...this is a great find. This one is especially cool because the dimensions suggest it will also fit between the rails on the underside of a Pedaltrain board just like the Volto is designed to. Nice. I wish I'd known about it before I bought 2 Voltos.

18. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

That's a function of the lithium battery's "memory" and the same thing happens with lap-top batteries and others. You just have to deal with it.

19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Could a Volto power, say 45mA (total) of analog pedals plus an additional 90mA digital pedal? With maybe an additional 300mA digital pedal?
    I'd almost buy one of I could just use it as a mini Pedal Power 2 with its AC adapter plugged in all, or most of, the time.

20. SmallStones

SmallStones Supporting Member

easily....just remember you will have to be daisy-chaining