Pedalworx Cactus Crunch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

What are your thoughts on this pedal. It's been out for a while but I haven't seen any real rave reviews here. Anybody dig it? What's it like?

best,

Tom

2. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I've been curious about this one myself.

3. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

Me to. It sure looks cool.:confused:

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

never had a cactus crunch but I had a two step which I thought was great. (I did replace it in the end with a Jersey Girl Plusdriver because that one can do Post or Pre boost)

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

They did a terrible job at margeting the CJ. I think people are scared to give it a try because Pedalworx did not push it whatsoever, and there is no sound clips to hear what it sounds like. Even the discription is very vaig.

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Seems weird... B.T.W. do any forumites have clips?

7. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

The CC hasn't been pushed much because George Blekas has been refining the circuit for awhile. I've heard he's close to being done, and they should be out soon.

I remember someone posted clips a long time ago. I don't remember who.

Hamilton

8. Marcello

Marcello Member

9. mcfuzz

mcfuzz Guest

anytime anybody would like to assist us in marketing anything we have, by all means join right up if ya think you can do a better job of it, then we are open to any help you might have.thanks. George has made a few changes after market, that means hes more interested in making a great tool to work with. its not about money or marketing with us. its about tone and having tools to use on the job, and for some to use in the bedroom.its a Wide line between a club and a bedroom. you have to agree that pedals sound different at telephone level than they do a loud band level. hard act to balance. and btw the new version is amazing. 18 volts baby. clean and mean.

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Cool!

Great rhythm sounds. Hope Mr. Blekas gets the pedal fixed soon. I might be interested. Wonder what it's "based" on? I mean what is the design based on electronically?

Edit: Just listened to the clips to the end. Wow! It's amazing! I really dig those evil rhythm tones on the demo song. A bit reminiscent of Black Sabbaths' Sabotage-tone but with less gain. Nice one!!

11. GeorgeBlekas

GeorgeBlekas Senior Member

Hey Guys & Gals

Soon enough there will be new clips of the Cactus Crunch and the revised edition pedals are on their way right now as we speak.

The Updated pedals will be considered Revision one or REV1 .
    This will be added to the serial number to those pedals numbered from 1 to 15. I got to update 8 of the 15 so there are 7 others floating around that have not been modified. So, if you see one for sale check it out because the revised pedal is a lot better especially at lower volumes.
    I will number all the rest of the pedals starting with the letter "R" so there should be no confusion as to weather or not the pedal was updated or not.

In addition to this there will be a dozen DonneR painted Custom Shop PedalworX Cactus Crunch pedals made. I will post pics of them when I finally get to themn finished.

First test seems to have made my Strat sound more like a Strat, even in those out of phase pickup settings, through my old Super Reverb amp. It also has a clarity to it that you just have to hear. Not fizzy but clear. I first had the knobs set to noon and the pedal sounded scooped at low volumes. Bass set nearly all the way up for flatter response. Cranking up the drive I lowered the guitar volume pot to between 7-8 and played Tore Down raising the volume pot with my pinky to do so fat sounding lead fills. The pedal cleans up with the volume pot due to the lack of input buffer, which is different from the TTS. This pedal runs on 18 volts, internally, and should only be used with a 9 volt battery or adapter. There is circuit protection inside that will limit the use of anything larger voltage wise and can damage the Zener diode or your adapter should you try to "see what will happen" at higher voltages. I don't suggest it!

What the 18 volts does is much like you would expect. It adds headroom to the pedal. The clipping circuit is also set to higher than anything I have seen before as well. Roughly 2.2 volts versus a .6 volt Tube Screamer or the like. Even doubling the diodes will only bring you to 1.2 and LEDs are 1.8 so, this is higher yet. I had to do that or the use of 18 volts in an OD would have been worthless.

Why did I change the circuit in the first place?
    Because I set it up to use at high volumes. It was pointed out to me that the pedal was farting out and I was like, "What?"
    At that point, 1 am in the morning, I plugged into my amp setting the amp to barely audible. I then cranked the bass,drive and treble and there it was! It sounded like crap basically. I had never used the pedal like that before so I was surprised to say the least. I then went and breadboarded the entire pedal, from scratch, and tried everything under the Sun including running the OD signal in parallel with the EQ (Bass & Treble) signal and then mixed them at the end. After weeks of this I ended up right back with my original design except for adjusting some parts values.
    It doesn't fart now and if I was invited over to your place for a jam I probably would show up with this as my only pedal.

Don't expect anything or have a sound in your head prior to trying this pedal out. It is not a copy or clone of anything and something I have been working on for well over a year now. It is op-amp based and has an output buffer to bring the tone stack singal up. The lack of input buffer is to keep it working in tandem with the guitar volume pot.

As Bob said "it's all about tone and not about the money"
    Thus, there was no talk until I was satisfied with the pedal.
    If it was about money I would have charged $275 for an 18 volt pedal instead of $175. I am not sure there is anything running at 18 volts under $200 prior to this. I think it's a player friendly fair price for a quality tool.

OK, I wish everyone a Happy Holiday and a Healthy New Years!

Regards,
    George

www.PedalworX.com
    [​IMG]

12. granite

granite Member

Sounds great! I just sold my TTS2 (Great Pedal) in anticipation of picking up a Cactus Crunch. Where/when can I pick up one of DonneR's painted CC boxes???

Put me on the list or tell me where to send the money.

Thanks!
    Craig

13. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

:dude

aldo.....

14. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

:AOK

hope your sendi'n one to bananas!!
    aldo....

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Hi George, thanks for the clarifacation on the Cactus Crunch. When will you have the new CC pedals ready? I want to buy one right away. I wanted to buy one a long time ago but just didn't know enough about it. I hope you didn't take affense to what I said.

16. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I think I want one too. Although I hope that evil sound and nice definition I heard on the clips hasn't dissapeared completely? Rock on!

17. macula56

macula56 Silver Supporting Member

i'd certainly like to get ahold of one. and a plain box will do just fine for me. is there a list that i can add my name to? jmac

18. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Please someone anwser?

19. schmoe

schmoe Member

just mailed my cc ( no. 15) to have it revised.cant wait. pedalworx customer service is next to none.

20. GeorgeBlekas

GeorgeBlekas Senior Member

Hi,

I have a Cactus Crunch that was shipped to me from California but I have no address to ship it to so if you have sent me a pedal please email me at GBlekas@PedalworX.com so that I can get this pedal shipped back to you.

If you get one of these pedals think of the bass and treble controls like you would a drive pot. Cranking them will add drive in their respective frequencies. You can actually get one kind of OD that way and another with the drive pot turned up and the bass/treble adjusted to personal tastes. The pedal is very clean sounding even with the drive up and thus very different from what you might expect. It does have a lot of drive and yet it remains clean sounding. I don't know what this all means except you just have to hear it.

Regards,
    George
    www.PedalworX.com