Pedalworx Tejas Owners

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by madscientist, Jan 29, 2008.

1. madscientist

madscientist Member

I just received my Tejas last night, and, while I love the pedal and the awesome 808 sounds I get from it, I'm confused by the settings. To get unity volume, I have the level at 12-1:00, which seems to be much compared to most other pedals I own. I've got the gain at 11:00, and the tone at 10:00. Any other tejas users find this issue, or is it normal for a 808 type to be like this?

Thanks for your help...I've found myself a fantastic pedal!

MS

2. madscientist

madscientist Member

Bump.....
    Just trying to figure this out while I'm still able to return the pedal if need be..

3. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Just give George a shout. Best Customer service around.

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I've owned a Tejas and they really sound good but with the Spice knob turned to the trad 808 sound its really lacking in the output I think.

5. warioblast

warioblast Member

It's totally normal.
    My Tejas has the same amount of volume as my TS9. The pots taper feels different, but when they are both set to the max, the pedals sound as loud.

6. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep. thats the ticket!

7. madscientist

madscientist Member

Thanks for your replies....I did email George and he confirmed what a few of you were saying.
    Great pedal!

8. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

FYI, the reason for this is that it's the same as a vintage TS-808!

Regards,
    George

9. hafizimran

hafizimran Member

Digging up an old-ish thread.

I was wondering if anyone has any clips of the Spice knob in effect? I have a Keeley Modded TS9 and while I'm happy with it, it's probably because I have nothing to compare it against at the moment. I have an idea of what the Spice knob does, but if anyone can point me out to clips of the Tejas in action, I would very much appreciate it.

Owh, and if anyone can do a MJM Blues Devil vs Pedalworx Tejas, that'd be THE BOMB!

Thanks!

10. hafizimran

hafizimran Member

I'm writing this for the benefit of future Pedalworx Tejas owners, not to respond to the OP in particular. Hope this is useful to someone because I got frustrated that not much info can be gathered about the pedal on the internet, probably because it's still new.

I observed the same thing as madscientist that to get unity volume, the 'Level' knob has to be set higher than on most other pedals. I A/B-ed it with my Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus and while I didn't max both pedals' volumes out (I live in an apartment), the 'Level' on the Tejas had to be set higher than the Keeley to get about the same volume. However, this isn't an issue if you contact George because he explained:-

One thing that you mentioned about, the Tejas having less gain when maxed out, can be adjusted and I have done just that with something called the "Tejas Hot" pedal. The way I do this is by doubling the gain pot value, from 500k to a 1 meg. So, if this is an issue for you we can work this issue out with ease.

Personally, I think the amount of 'Drive' and 'Level' is enough to cut the mix for lead work, to make chords sparkle a bit more or to get some grit when you play chords. Hence, I don't need the 'Tejas Hot' version.

Setting the 'Spice' knob to zero (which effectively turns the Tejas into a copy of a vintage TS-808), the tone of both pedals is unmistakably Tubescreamer, which isn't surprising since the Keeley Mod Plus brings a stock TS-9 to TS-808 spec among others. So both pedals can get pretty close in tone. However, I found that the Tejas responds better to picking dynamics and the clean-up using the guitar's volume knob was also better. These things are a bit more 3D to explain so although tonally it might sound almost the same, it's when you're behind 'the wheel' that you get to feel these things.

Also (still with the 'Spice' knob set to zero), if I were to compare my original guitar tone to a bar of chocolate and the tone imparted by a Tubescreamer as the wrapper around it, I'd say that the Tejas has a double wrap while the Keeley has three. Both wrappers are still 'green' and still in TS territory, but the Tejas sounds a touch more organic. If that makes sense. :messedup

Moving on to the 'Spice' knob, this is where the Tejas adds something new to the table. While I was reading the official blurb and opinions on the Tejas, I thought the 'lifting of the blanket' in terms of sound would make it less compressed and would move closer towards full frequency ODs like the Catalinbread Silver Kiss or a Keeley BD-2 PHAT Mod. This would effectively negate getting a TS-type pedal, right? Well, don't fret because what George has done with it is to stay faithful to the TS sound while just letting the original guitar tone breathe a little. We're talking about a bar of chocolate with just a single green wrapper! It's brilliant.

There you have it. As you can see I didn't knock the Keeley Mod Plus one single bit, because I think it's a damn good Tubescreamer. But considering the Tejas is just as good if not better tone-wise, is true bypass, has the added 'Spice' knob which gives it a wider tonal palette, and is selling at a price lower than the Keeley (GuitarEffectsPedals.com), it sure is the clear winner for me.

Oh, and all the above is said without taking into account the most top-notch customer service I've experienced from a pedal builder, Mr. George Blekas. Ryan Nixon of GuitarEffectsPedals.com was also a such cool geezer whom I would recommend to everyone.

Hope this helps!

11. madscientist

madscientist Member

Great review!!!!

Just wanted to add that the Tejas is a mainstay on my board and is a FANTASTIC sounding pedal. I needed an input jack replaced and George went so far as to add an internal trimmer, that allows me to increase the gain range of the pedal. Great customer service. I'm seriously considering another one.

12. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

Hello all,

First off I would like to thank everybody for their reviews, feedback on this pedal and let you know that dealing with you all has been and is always a pleasure!
    You guys ROCK!
    Secondly I think I need to explain the volume and drive pot a little bit.

If you compare the volume and drive pots you need compare the Tejas to a vintage TS-808 and not a TS-9, TS-808 RI or even a moded newer type pedal. The reason is that the original did not have a bunch of drive and you could crank the volume pot without blowing yourself out of the room with level. This can't be said for newer pedals as you get to noon and have unity gain and probably could never turn the pedal above 3 o'clock without over dosing on signal level. This was not the case with an original 808 and thus SRV and company would set the drive to around 10 o'clock and just about max out the volume pot to get the magic out of the pedal. Maxed volume = max signal heading towards the amp and what I set the Tejas up to emulate.

Later TS mods which added drive, changed rolloff points and upgraded capacitors actually changed the pedal from the original 808 design and tone, from what my ears are telling me. While many of these mods totally rock and I understand this is what is available to AB the Tejas up against the Tejas actually needs to be AB'ed to an original.

Try pushing your amp with the level pot and drive set low,with the Spice knob down and you will have the same amount of drive as the real deal. When you turn up the spice you get a lifting of the wet blanket off of the speaker cabinet thing happening.
    At this point if the drive is not enough for you we can add a trim pot to up the available gain, as was mentioned by Madscientist (thanks brother!).This is a simple thing to do but, of course, the pedal would have to be sent back to me for the addition.

When I was a kid I remember selling a TS-808 for $10 because it didn't have enough drive for me. I totally didn't get it because it sucked to play the Stones, Santana and Black Sabbath with! LOL

Interestingly enough I tried out a new TS808RI and the first thing I noticed was the volume pot differed from the orignal, which in my opinion was part of the magic and which I tried to emulate in the Tejas.

Regards,
    George B.

www.PedalworX.com