Pedalworx Wah! Wow!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JackButler, Jan 30, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Wah hunt, tried most of the cool ones out and figured I'd see what Pedalworx had to offer. Emailed him and he said he was working on a tweaked circuit I would most likely like.

Said he dialed that sucker in. Now I've had some cool wahs, they all have their good and bad points. I have been asking him for sometime to make me one and he finally had time to. Plus, it didn't take long at all!

Now, I figured just a good solid wah tweaked to what his ears hear, nothing bad, nothing out of the ordinary. He also uses a hidden switch to change from higher voicing to lower voicing (located un the toe of the wah, cool and eays enough to get to). Yeah, whatever, I never cared for high voiced wahs. I know he builds great pedals and all, all I have tried have been solid performers and solid toned, but figured a wah is a wah.

So I got this sucker today and plugged it in. WTF? Are my ears goofy today? Am I hearing right? No way, this has to be a fluke. The first few notes sounded great. Again, whatever, let's do it. Bring it or leave the next day.

Wowzers! The wah kills! This is no GAS impaired honeymoon, it is the real dealio daddy! Friggin' HUGE and fat, the level is perfect, so throaty and thick, yet retains that high-end hint that makes a good wah a good wah, but more low-mids girth (as I wanted). Wow, just great! I jammed out and it pulled through with stars with everything I could throw at it, it had to fail my ears sometime...nope! Kick ass!:AOK

So let's throw the high voice switch on, gotta be bad. What! I mean, WAH! Could it be, sounds good? REALLY GOOD! Friggin' wah, the high voiced kicks booty too! I was thrown back and had to think, it sounds great!

Which voicing to use?!!! :(
    Keep in mind, I had two amps arrive today and I was wanting to play the wah more!

Every wah tone I ever heard in my head is in this magic wah. Seriously, no bad tone could I find. Some wahs have a glimpse of that magic tone here and there, but all the way through the sweep this thing keeps it happening!:AOK

Best wah ever! In true HC review mode, if this wah were lost or stolen I would fly out (and I don't fly) and hogtie George's legs until he made me another one to replace it. I would pay $500 for this wah, but he better make me another at the same price I paid!

All in all, just an amazing wah. George, I am blown away, you nailed it!:AOK

Only glitch or thing I see that could be changed is he needs to rename it the "JackButler Got his ass Kicked Wah!" :D

Endnote...I love the good old Hendrix stuff best, then SRV big fat wah tones. Occasionally I dig the quack attack funk prono music stuff just for fun, again most wahs that have the good throat lack this, not this one.
    Funk me up! I am back in the 70's watching muscle cars and babes in bikinis with feathered hair as when I was a kid. This time around and with this wah, I am the one driving that big block and scoring the bunnies!:D

George, again, my fav wah ever. Can't wait until rehearsal this weekend!
    Now where the heck are my platform shoes and hairpick?

2. 4styx

4styx Member

Does he make drop-in kits?

3. JackButler

I don't think so.
    Just buy one!
    I have easily been through 200-300 pedals the past few years. I rarely rave on pedals at all, Eternity is about it, but this wah is too good to be true!

4. JackButler

5. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I am looking for a new wah -- just checked his website nothing there.

Can you post picture and share pricing? -- PM me if you'd like on pricing.

Thanks

6. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

George makes some amazing pedals, and he's an absolute pleasure to deal with. As much as I love my TTS, I really look forward to hearing more about this wah you speak of.

7. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

George is a great guy. He's modified a couple wah pedals for me. They sound pretty much like vintage Vox Clyde McCoys now. No more buying and selling wahs for me. He knows what he's doing with those mods.

8. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Bump. I would like to know what the wah its called. Do we call it " jacks wah wah " :eek: How much does it cost. I guess i can send him my old wah for the treatment:dude Anyway glad for you jack. I wish i could get a wah that i was that thrilled about.

9. JackButler

I guess just ask him for one like mine, the JB got his ass kicked wah!

10. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

does it use a standard wah pot? That's the weak link IMO. Nobody makes a good one. Everyone uses the same one or a slight variation. Made in taiwan and poorly constructed.

11. JackButler

no clue. I just know it sounds amazing!

12. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

He will put a better pot in it if you request it. But you are right, there are issues with the CTS pots these days. But George will put a good one in for you. Actually George is all about the art of hearing the wah and pulling what sounds best out of it. The magic is in his ear. I had two of his wahs I just sold one (thanks Adam!) and I miss it already.

13. jzucker

But that's the whole point. There are no good ones. The ones that fulltone uses and that teese uses are crappy. They are (barely) held together by little metal tabs which tend to bend and get loose over time. They are actually made by mouser I believe. They are not like the old pots. The dunlop pot is a little better mechanically but it's the wrong value and taper. So I don't see how you can get a better one...Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'd like to see the real info and not conjecture...

14. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

Taken from this interview: http://www.sixstringsoul.com/teese-real-mccoy-wahs-interview/

"The CTS pots that I used to use, and almost everybody else still uses, have some quality control issues that I just couldn’t get worked out by their engineers. You know, the early-in-life scratchiness, the short life-span. Those are things that aren’t supposed to be there and weren’t there in earlier years. I’ve actually been using custom CTS pots since the mid ‘90’s so I know the problems that all the other folks are going to be facing. There are no work-arounds with the CTS pots. They simply are not as good as they used to be and I’ve been forced to drop them as a supplier. Superior quality is more important than loyalty to a component manufacturer. You’re only as good as your weakest part. My new RMC ROC-POT5 is a sealed pot, not open like the CTS, and is ultra low-noise. You’d be surprised how much noise is actually being generated by the CTS pots. I know I was surprised when I compared the two pots. The new pot should last the lifetime of the wah and is standard in all of the Joe Walsh Signature Wahs and all of the new white tread RMC wahs."

15. jzucker

Interesting. Has anyone seen these?

16. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

I believe what Geoffrey is talking about here are those new "Icar" pots that are now available. After working on a vintage Vox wah I replaced the pot with one of those new "Icar" pots and while wahing slowing it was fine. The issue came in when I would wah quickly ala Jimi's "Burning the Midnight Lamp" where I was hearing a clicking noise in the signal. If I did not play a note and rocked quickly I did not hear it, only when a signal was present. It drove me mad!

I called Geoffrey to talk with him about it. He pointed out the carbon had three elements of different heights and the copper wiper would literally skip over them and then make contact again. This jump is where the clicking came from. I returned my pot for credit as it was the only one that I had.

All wah pots have tabs for holding the back on. This includes the vintage wah pots! I have tried different value pots and do not hear any difference between a 100k or 200k. They sound the same to me. The sealed Bournes pots had the wrong taper so I do not use those but a sealed pot is a slamming idea as it would keep dirt/dust out.

I understand Geoffrey has a new pot made for his pedals now that is of the sealed variety. Leave it to G to never be satisfied! :AOK It's actually his fault I got into repairing and tuning into the vintage Clyde tones!

That being said, there simply are no pots made like they were made in the 60's & 70's. One can argue this for just about anything produced today. I remember throwing out wahs when they went scratchy so even back in the day there were issues with pots regardless of what we think that we remember.

The "Tone" comes from other places anyway. I hand built my personal wah an AB'ed it right next to a vintage wah and got it to sound exactly like it. Not close but "nuts on"! The vintage wah belonged to a friend of mine who wants me to duplicate that and probably would end up giving his vintage wah to his buddies at Vox. This original Clyde has been all the way to Japan to be cloned too! They used it for some sort of modeling thing they have on the drawing board.

To answer the questions above, I am selling my moded pedals for $199 plus shipping. If you want me to mod your pedal it's $98 plus shipping.

I am having some issues with my server getting the pages up on my site but hope to rectify this shortly.

Regards,
    George

17. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

No wonder, I thought it was just me who noticed that, that damn clicking when wahing fast.

I can't stand those Bournes pots, and I never knew this until I compared it side to side with the old HotpotzI - the Bournes pots transition way too quick, and the top end is gone.

I wondered what it would cost to do your thing to a pedal. That's regardless of whatever parts might be in there already? (For example - already modified inductor, and caps)

18. GBlekas

Yes it would be the same price regardless because these pedals tend to need to be tuned to sound right. I have no idea who or what was done prior and this could actually add to the work that I need to do.

Wahs are funny beasts because making it true bypass and changing the inductor and a few caps simply won't get you there.

Regards,
    George

19. jzucker

Sorry but there's no comparison between the original allen bradley pots (which did have tabs) and the cheaper crap that is in most new pedals. Yes, they both had tabs but the new stuff falls apart if you screw the nut on too tight.

20. GBlekas

I am sorry that ROHS compliance doesn't force manufacturers to build quality stuff that lasts forever instead of crap that is safe to place into land fills.

The issue with the tabs is that they let in dust and dirt which is a pot killer.
    Being the older pots had much thicker carbon elements in them and were user serviceable they would last longer than their modern counterpart. No question, Unless of course we were looking at a sealed pot, which will not let dirt in and possibly out last even the Allen Bradley pot. I suppose time will tell.
    Why not try it with a Hot PotZ II and see if it's still around and kicking in 30 years? I am pretty sure either way I won't be around to see it.