Peerles Hardtail (Gibson 335 Clone)

Discussion in 'Reviews of Electric Guitars' started by BenLF, May 2, 2017.

1. BenLF

BenLF Member

The Peerless Hardtail (335 Clone) is a great guitar. You could think of them as 95% of a Gibson at 33% of the cost.

The woodworking is first class. No defects or imperfections of any kind. And the neck is straight, smooth and level. I think top of the line American made(Gibson) and Japanese made (Ibanez) guitars are still better, but not by much. Considering the price, these Korean hollow bodies are far and away the best value out there.

The hardware is actually better than what you get with a Gibson (Gibson apparently uses Ping-Wells Chinese made tuners, bridges and tailpieces). Among other things, Peerless tuners have some steel in them, and the tailpiece studs are steel too.

But the electronics are not as good (basically the same as what you get with an Epiphone; alnico v pickups, alpha pots, uninsulated wires, no-name switches, etc.). I spent $200 on Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers and a US made wiring harness; and now I have a professional quality guitar that rivals any $3,000 es-335.

Eastman also makes a nice 335 copy. But I think it is a little overpriced for a Chinese guitar, the styling is as little off, and I understand the electronics are even worse than Peerless....

http://www.peerlessguitars.eu/#/hardtail/4557054990

2. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

I had a Monarch that was a hell of a guitar, regardless of the price. One of the most stable necks I've ever owned. The thing never moved. Seriously good instruments.

3. gnappi

gnappi Member

I generally agree on the hardtail. Compared to a 335 it has several upgrades that only come with a premium price on a 335, a bound head, and figured body wood. In natural / blonde they are killer good looking.

The tuners on my HT are IMO chintzy, those tiny buttons are bothersome for me with my carpal tunnel which may be replaced with Grover 135G's and the multiple jointed neck and lack of a pickguard (mine was made aftermarket) definitely speak to its price point.

All in all it's a great playing guitar at a fabulous price, but there are others in the price range that I own as good namely the Epi Sheraton, Eastman T-486, and the Ibanez AS103, AS153 models.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017