Penn Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by erik smith, Jan 1, 2006.

1. erik smith

erik smith Member

anybody whos played one please let me know what you think

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I owned one for a while and it was a great amp. I bought it from Billy when he was making them out of Outlaw Guitars about 8-10 years ago. It was a fantastic amp and Billy is a first class guy who will go above and beyond to satisfy his customers.

I sold mine cause it was more on the Fender side of the street and I was evolving more on the Marshall side. I know he has a lot more models now and he is a demon with a Tele in his hands.

Great guy, great amps!

3. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I have a Penn Pennalizer 50 1X12 Reverb combo. The cleans are in the Fender camp but the reverb is different. It has a ducking quality to it. It has an effective master and a surprising amount of overdrive available and really can rock as well as do great in-between tones. The overdrive has a thick tweed bassman kind of tone but goes into Marshall JMP territory with the gain maxed.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

A buddy of mine gigs a 335 through a Pennalizer, and it sounds fantastic...!

5. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'd love one of those amps, they sound great. A bit pricey tho'...

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've heard a number of the modern-type Penn amps. Quite loud and rocking for their size and wattage, no problem cutting through, with an excellent reverb you can really crank. They're good amps, not quite to my taste. The one tweed type Penn I heard was very much to my taste. Looked like a Pro, but blended bits of several tweed circuits. Had a Weber ceramic speaker. A beautiful, loud amp with its own voice. Some players I respect swear by Billy Penn, and now I know why.

7. randy morser

randy morser Member

anyone have contact info on billy penn. i'm trying to order one and can't get him. he's answered an email once or twice, but i'm getting the feeling that he's not much of an emailer.
    RandyMorser@aol.com

8. mad dog

I've played through several Penns. The best by far was a somewhat tricked out tweed pro looking amp. I think it had larger transformer, the later bassman phase inverter circuit. Can't remember. 35 watts, 2 x 6L6, Weber 15F150-O speaker in it. One of best I've played yet. Would have bought it (used at a Guitar Center), but it had at least one microphonic preamp tube, a big rip in the grill cloth, and they would not get real on the price. That thing sounded GREAT.

9. sloanfiske

sloanfiske Member

sick.

never selling mine. got it 2nd hand about 5 years ago.

nothing I've played really touches it. my old Dual Showman and this will be in the hands of my kid after I go.

it's an early run custom 40 with a psudo-marshall look.

with a naylor 12. the big reason I bought it. i loved the naylor amp i tried and could afford years earlier. saw this in the back...plugged in...never looked back.

too bad we dont hear more about billy.

10. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Billy Penn makes a hell of an amp! We have oneint he shop, A Pennalizer, or are they all called Pennalizer? Ours is 18 watts, EL84s but can use 6l6 also if I am not mistaken. Killer amp!

11. fifty9 335

fifty9 335 Member

I've never really cared for them...ive tried a few and they all sound small, thin a buzzy to my ears...

12. randy morser

randy morser Member

Mine is great. It's not thin by any means. Dr. Z sounds a little thin to me, but not the Penn.

13. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

+1 on a Tweed Pro with 1 -12 weber alnico ..... Sounded great till I sold it .
    Made some great music out of that bad boy .....Sold it for microphone money (ouch) .Seemed to be beefier and cleaner than the usual 35w tweed .Billy was very on the case with advice via email even though I bought it used .

14. randy morser

randy morser Member

no one seems to be able to get a hold of his these days. I wonder where he went...

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i don't know where he went but i know where there is a Penn amp for 700 dollars.

i will check the specs tomorrow and get back to you to ask if the price is right

16. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

If it`s a champ copy .too much ......if it`s got a 12 and reverb...700 bucks should get you a line forming here .

17. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i just found out it has a 12"weber and it is a 20 watter

18. randy morser

randy morser Member

dude, give. where is it?

19. randy morser

randy morser Member

I'm seriously considering selling my Penn. Is there any interest here? I may post on the amps for sale page soon.

20. mad dog

Randy: Which one do you have?