Pensa Classic from 1992. Anderson body and neck?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by sweetpea, Jan 8, 2006.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

Does anybody have any experience with Pensa instruments and how is the overall quality. I am looking at a 92' classic w/Suhr pups- ash body (Anderson?) along with a Brazilian rosewood neck(Anderson). The headstock looks like the current Suhrs. I am assuming that the overall build quality may be close to Anderson or Suhr, but I am clueless as you hear so little about them...:NUTS

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Pensa used to build in collaboration with Suhr (I'm guessing Suhr did all/most of the actual building) as Pensa-Suhr guitars. Noteworthy players included the likes of Mark Knopfler. Just an educated guess, but yours may be of that vintage, thus the similarity to certain Suhr characteristics.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

And, BTW, Pensa is Rudy Pensa, whose long time NY shop bears his name (Rudy's).

4. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

Suhr was already gone and Tom was no longer making their (Pensa's) parts by '92.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

KB is correct (checked my references)...John Suhr left in 1990. But the Pensas made post 1990 were reputed to be of exellent quality, and only had 'Pensa' on the headstock, rather than 'Pensa-Suhr'.

6. sweetpea

Thanks for the info guys. I might take the plunge and purchase this instrument.

Anybody else have some post Suhr Pensa insight...?;)

7. Felipe

Felipe Member

I own 4 Pensas, all circa 96-98 guitars, a Suhr and a couple of Andersons as well.

My Pensas are 3 MK models and a Strat.

Regarding building quality control, they can't touch Suhr or Anderson, which are, for me, best of the best in terms of bolt-on neck guitars.

The Pensa guitars are way more "hand made", but not necesserely in a better way, simply diferent, artisan guitars, if I could say.

I'll post some pics latter this week.

8. Praline

Praline Member

Nice slick little product plug there.

9. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

easy tiger. its not like he just popped up here and started plugging. hes a regular here and frankly the pro series has been talked about plenty here.

the thread was about john suhr and he chimed in w/ some info.

but you are right it is a slick little product plug for what will be a very slick little guitar. i'll be checking them out at namm.

10. Praline

Praline Member

It's a cheeseball move. It's nice to offer information, but trying to swoop in and pick up a sale is out of bounds to me.

11. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Not when the potential buyer of the Pensa guitar seemed primarily interested in whether or not John Suhr had anything to do with building the particular instrument.

The instrument he was interested in wasn't vintage and wasn't built by who he thought it was... AND asked about anymore Pensa-Suhr information... John gave him the information AND offered him an alternative as the one he was looking at didn't seem to have either of the builders involved that he hoped it did.

This was by far one of the more subtle and SUITING plugs I've ever seen on the page. Not only that, John is a consistently helpful and informative poster here.

Bugger off;)

-TJK

12. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

that sounds so funny!
    suhr guitars are back ordered for months at a time. to suggest that suhr is gonna come here and look for sales and jump at the oppurtunity to spam here is just silly. i know ed yoon who is a good friend of mine and he tells me how they are constantly backordered and dealers and cust screaming for more more more. i really doubt that suhr needs the extra biz he gets from the gear page posts.

i think your not really on base here. your looking for something that just isn't there.

13. sweetpea

I agree with both Taronkeim and Pedalpat. I was hoping that John Suhr or Anderson had a hand in building or supplying quality parts for this particular guitar. I think John Suhr was just trying to offer some information (past w Pensa and current w his new product line), along with some helpful advice. Plus, I was a bit apprehensive of the ash body/braz. board tonal combination. I really don't want a bright guitar and I appreciated Johns insight as he is one of the best guitar builders around. So thanks John for the insight and I look forward to your new product line as it is much closer to my income demographic.:AOK

14. landru64

landru64 Member

i was ordered a pensa guitar in the early 90s and the guy (will remain nameless) who worked there told me they got their bodies and necks from a variety of places depending on the specs you wanted. i think they mentioned getting bodies from anderson sometimes, but the volume of orders was so small that nothing was consistently used. i think peter florance was another source.

the order fell through because they couldn't get around to building it and i told rudy about it, much to his embarassment. in retrospect, after seeing preowned pensas in the store since then, they don't hold a candle to the level of workmanship of suhr, sadowsky, grosh and i suppose tyler.

15. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the info John.
    Dont let the noobie get ya down.
    Everybody gets up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes.

...even me.

:)

S>
    j

16. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Will these have the Suhr Silent Coil stuff?

17. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

Like he needs this one sale...

Please.

18. Felipe

Felipe Member

As promissed, the pics!
    3 MKs, great guitars, art stuff. Also have a Pensa Strat.
    As I said, it's about the art side of the thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As much as I like these guitars, the best bolt-on neck guitar in the world today is made by the same John Suhr who wrote couple posts before me (or his crew).

His stuff is as close to perfection as I can think about! C'mon John, it's getting boring!
    I have two Suhrs, a 99 Std and a brand new Classic. His stuff was top notch back there, it's even greater these days with the Plek/SSC/etc... going on.

Can't find a flaw, and usually I search a lot for them!

Anyway, this is about old Pensas. Mine are circa 97-98, and are beautiful guitars. The flame one is among the most beautiful guitars I've touched.