Vendor People have been sending me their Dumbles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by amplifiednation, Oct 6, 2019.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Are these Dumble amps any good?

voodoosound likes this.
  2. amplifiednation

amplifiednation Vendor

Hey man! Yes, the channels are cascaded. Same clean channel preamp as the Dirty Wonderland. The biggest differences are the addition of the Overdrive channel, and a different reverb circuit to accommodate the extra circuitry.

RLP, robyogi and ProfRhino like this.
  3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

wonderland is single channel clean amp based on John Mayer sig

dirty wonderland adds NFB options for the pre and power sections to allow more gain

wonderland overdrive adds a cascaded overdrive section like an ODS

RLP, Wyzard, robyogi and 2 others like this.
  4. rollyfoster

Fresh lattice and tomatoes?

voodoosound likes this.
  5. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

:) :) :)

6. rollyfoster

7. amplifiednation

amplifiednation Vendor

RLP, Echoplexi and ProfRhino like this.
  8. rollyfoster

[​IMG]

9. amplifiednation

amplifiednation Vendor

I finished this up recently too. Black tolex/brown Vox cloth. I built this and the golden brown cabinets together.

Really nice up close shots of the matte black chassis. The visible indents are where the PEM hardware is installed at the factory. PEM is vastly superior when designing for maximum durability

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RLP, Wyzard and ProfRhino like this.
  10. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

care to explain "PEM", please ?
    the build looks extremely clean, but I see nothing really unusual atm, except for the stealthy mounting of the power jack.
    thanks,
    Rhino

11. amplifiednation

amplifiednation Vendor

PEM I think is a brand name; it’s sheet metal slang for hardware that’s installed at the factory. The fasteners are pressed into specific sized holes with extreme pressure, and they are cold forged into the sheet metal, actually becoming part of the chassis.

Not only is this extremely convenient when populating the chassis for the initial build, but since the hardware is installed this way, it can’t come loose when bouncing around from gig to gig, or on a tour bus. This is extremely important since loose screws inside are an absolute death sentence for a tube amp.

I took it a few steps further and have all the stand offs for board mounts installed PEM and even wire tie downs in the latest designs I had manufactured.

Check it out...

[​IMG]

12. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

thanks - very clever concept !
    makes total sense ... :aok
    Rhino

13. Suarkttam

Suarkttam Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

This very well may be sacrilege for these type of amps, since they rely on wattage for their tone. But is it possible for you to built a combo in the 10w range with a 10” speaker and still get the clean headroom and the “Dumble” sound throughout the gain range? My space is extremely limited and neighbors are stacked. (I live in Brooklyn and primarily record for myself and others at home at this point).

I’d absolutely love one of your amps but understand that I might just be relegated to one of your beautiful pedals.

Thanks so much in advance TGP for not flaming me for the question.

Gig Young likes this.
  14. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

I was actually thinking the same. I have tinnitus, been trying to keep things moderate.

15. rollyfoster

10w isn’t really gonna make it any quieter, especially in a shared-walls apartment situation. It will just have a lot less headroom. You’d probably be better off getting a normal version and sticking a volume pedal or dumbleator in the effects loop or something.

or get a head and a suhr RLIR with a powered studio monitor so you can crank it up and keep it the volume of a tv/stereo

ProfRhino and Wyzard like this.
  16. rollyfoster

Still hunting for clips and came across this one. Sounds great and killer playing. Is this dude on TGP?

pattste likes this.
  17. amplifiednation

amplifiednation Vendor

Yeah brother I can get you there with a 22w version with 10w half power. They are most fun at that power level for home playing!!

Im still out at NAMM what a crazy place this is. Heading to the Two Rock show in a few minutes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

several great suggestions there, especially the volume pedal thing.
    I used that in my trusty old Classic 50 on stage for years, but for expressive reasons, it might not be ideal for volume control.
    and it sat in a homemade passive insert point directly before the PI, quite similar to many D-style loops (not sure about Taylor's designs).
    in this scenario you want a 25k pedal or something, and might need some buffering - I sandwiched mine between a rack compressor and a delay, as I didn't own a Dumbleator style gizmo back then.
    took some searching to find the right components, but eventually it worked and didn't strangle the amp.

the Suhr / reamp solution or a PS2 will work better to keep volume in check, but you'll need a guitar speaker, not a full range monitor.

ymmv,
    Rhino

rollyfoster likes this.
  19. rollyfoster

the suhr can run a line out with impulse responses to a powered monitor/computer, etc or headphones out to a stereo or computer, etc.

A guitar speaker in an apartment is dicey. When I was in college I couldn’t even have my amp turned on at all even the slightest without the guys downstairs flipping out because they could hear it. Of course this depends on the size and construction of the building/unit but a 12” or even 10” speaker is going to produce frequencies that can’t be stopped, especially if you want to be loud enough to have a little fun.

I wish all this new stuff was available back then. Fully cranked up amp and mic’d sound at the volume of a TV or conversation and barely any of the bass frequencies that come with it, which IME in various apartments is the first thing neighbors complain about, guitar or otherwise.

I have my own house now and I still have to use something like that or my Yamaha THR a lot of the time if my kids are sleeping and they’re upstairs in the opposite corner from my office.

apparently nobody else in my family likes to hear a guitar amp “singing”:( hell, people in bars barely want to hear it anymore.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    ProfRhino likes this.
  20. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

sorry, my bad - you were talking about the IR version ! :facepalm
    sure, full range then. :aok
    but I have an excuse, kinda ...
    I record via a regular Suhr RL, and run a feed from Totalmix to a power amp into a cab (when I need feedback), and then you actually need a guitar speaker.
    basically like a PS2, without the extra expense. :cool:

still, I need to work on my reading skills, stuff like that should not happen. :oops:
    peace,
    Rhino

rollyfoster likes this.