• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

People in arid climates: what are you using for case humidification?

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
I've got two of those Oasys humidifiers in my J-45's case but they're bone dry in a two or three days. Keeping them full is a constant battle.

What are other people in arid climates using to humidify your acoustic guitars in their cases? Is there a solution that requires less frequent refilling out there?

Mark EL

Silver Supporting Member
I went to carbon fiber instruments. Rainsong and Composite Acoustics. Very pleased.

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
If you have a basement, you might keep the guitars there. While in Colorado, that's where I stowed instruments - the humidity was almost always around 50%...

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
If you have a basement, you might keep the guitars there. While in Colorado, that's where I stowed instruments - the humidity was almost always around 50%...
Ahh. No basements in California -- they seem to be pretty rare around here. I do miss a basement for that jam space...

Comfort Player

Gold Supporting Member
Are the Oasis humidifiers new ? Perhaps the crystals need replaced as they seem to "dry up" and not hold as much moisture after a year or so. You can buy the refresher crystals anywhere that has the Oasis products.

I use Oasis in the sound hole and some homemade "sponge in a twist top Tupperware thingy with holes in it" near the neck

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
I live in a semi-arid region at 7200 feet. It's bone dry here in the winter. I use the D'Addario (Boveda) humidipaks, but I recycle them. I have 4 acoustics, and I keep 2 packs in every case with the guitar (3 in the winter). Once a month, I pull all the packs out and replace them. I put the used ones in a container, then put another container of warmed distilled water in that container and close it up. The packs rejuvenate after 2-3 days. I keep heating the water periodically to let the steam accumulate inside the container. Spritzing the packs with distilled water helps, too. After they are rejuvenated, I seal them up in the air-tight pouches they come in and use them again the next month. There is probably a limit to the number of times they can be rejuvenated, but I don't know what it is. I keep humidifiers in each case, and they all stay at a constant 45%-50% level.

Note that you'll need to humidify your case before using the packs. I did that by spritzing the interior LIGHTLY with distilled water periodically over a period of days until the inside read 50%.

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
Are the Oasis humidifiers new ? Perhaps the crystals need replaced as they seem to "dry up" and not hold as much moisture after a year or so. You can buy the refresher crystals anywhere that has the Oasis products.
Good question. One is brand spanking new. The other is two years old. They seem to dry out at the same rate though. I keep one in the soundhole and the other up near the headstock.

I use Oasis in the sound hole and some homemade "sponge in a twist top Tupperware thingy with holes in it" near the neck
Sponge in tupperware near the headstock is a cool idea. Thanks!

Comfort Player

Gold Supporting Member
Good question. One is brand spanking new. The other is two years old. They seem to dry out at the same rate though. I keep one in the soundhole and the other up near the headstock.

Sponge in Tupperware near the headstock is a cool idea. Thanks!

I use something similar to these. Simply drill a few 1/4" holes in the lid and sides. Cut sponges pieces to shape and insert. Be sure to ring all excess water from the sponges

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-TakeAlongs-Storage-Containers-1-2-Cup/dp/B000YPQ91U

stratofied

What is the humidity level in the room where you keep your guitars? I like to use a combination of room humidifier and supplement with the case humidifier when the room is on the dry side. The room is more comfortable and I can leave the guitar out more this way.

crambone

I use 2 travel soap dishes with holes punched in the top and moist sponges in each. I put one behind the headstock and one in the cutaway.

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
What is the humidity level in the room where you keep your guitars? I like to use a combination of room humidifier and supplement with the case humidifier when the room is on the dry side. The room is more comfortable and I can leave the guitar out more this way.
It's low in the room. The whole house is low. It's not a well-sealed environment. You could tunnel through the wall with a spoon, no doubt. Homes here aren't built with extreme cold or heat in mind, especially an older house like mine.

I'll look in to a room humidifier. We've been considering an add-on to our furnace...maybe this'll be the reason to get one? I have to keep it in the case though, with three little kids running around that's the safest place for it when I'm not playing it. :)

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
Comfort player nails it. I'm no longer in a dry climate, but I have lived 3 very dry places. I used a small margarine tub with a sponge in it. I also used a soundhole humidifier. I just got it lightly damp and replaced it about once a week.

Pat Healy

Don Grosh's recommendation to me: small sponge, moist but not dripping, put it in an open Ziploc bag and put that inside the case. Keep the guitar in the case and the case closed when not in use. Seems to work great.

Trending Topics